PDA

View Full Version : Question on this herbal formula

Royal Dragon
03-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Ingredients: Alcohol, Water, Myrrh, Frankincense, Carthamus, Coptis, Saussurea.

Ok, I know my understanding of herbal medicine and herbal formulas is in it's infancy, but *Why* is Coptis in this Iron palm formula?

According to my materia medica it does not seem to have any sort of iron hand/Jow related function.

Can anyone hazard a guess here?

This is where it is comercially avaliable.

http://www.orientalherb.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=36

Black Jack II
03-20-2007, 07:05 AM
Send Dean a e-mail and ask him, I doubt he will reply as its in his own formulas but you might get lucky, he is a nice guy.

Royal Dragon
03-20-2007, 07:16 AM
Last time I talked to him on the phone he wouldn't deeply explain any of it. He knows I would just order the herbs in bulk and make it myself...

The Willow Sword
03-20-2007, 08:10 AM
http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugprofiles/herbaldrugs/100855.shtml

I would gather that from the explanation of this herb that he uses it as a topical antiseptic in the dit da. Maybe to nullify pain as well? anyway, hope this link helps if he wont provide a better explanation. I usually do not trust anyone who will not explain, in a specicifc way, what homemade herbal remedies either topical or internal are utilized for. you never know these days.

Peace,TWS

herb ox
03-20-2007, 08:45 PM
"Hua T'os Eight Immortal's Iron Palm was originally designed to protect the hands against shock and tissue damage when striking raw iron ore"...

Perhaps the mentality was that huang lian's (coptis/coptidis rhizoma) ability to clear heat toxins and dampness could counter the effects of striking rusty and raw iron ore by killing any pathogenic factors. Yes, the rust might be considered cold and toxic (you'd likely counter with warm herbs), but what about tetanus and other microorganisms? Sounds like heat toxins to me. :p

Beyond all that jazz, I agree with TWS's idea of the local antiseptic. But in addition, if you've ever placed a piece of huang lian on your tongue, it numbs your mouth and throat pretty quick (after all the salivation and gagging from the bitterness), so it may also serve as a local anasthetic as well to numb the hands from the pain of pounding red dirt day and night...

peace out

herb ox

Royal Dragon
03-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Hmmm, I wonder why my Materia medica does not list it's anasthetic properties?