PDA

View Full Version : C'mon, show us your stuff

imperialtaichi
03-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have noticed, there are several types of people on this forum:

1. People who have a lot of knowledge, but not showing it.
2. People who criticize a lot, but nothing to show.
3. People who want to show, but do not want to be criticized.
4. People who can't wait to show what they've got. They just need an excuse.
5. People who are too modest to show what they've got.

With Youtube, now anyone can have their 15mins of fame. Anyone who has access to a DV and a computer can put things up the Youtube so there's no excuse!

So why not share with us your own videos? I cannot stop people from criticising (the right to free speech thing), but if we can keep it to minimal so we can encourage everyone to put videos up.

Go on, show us what you're made of.

Cheers,
John

brucereiter
03-19-2007, 11:55 PM
Hello Everyone,

With Youtube, now anyone can have their 15mins of fame. Anyone who has access to a DV and a computer can put things up the Youtube so there's no excuse!

So why not share with us your own videos? I cannot stop people from criticising (the right to free speech thing), but if we can keep it to minimal so we can encourage everyone to put videos up.

Cheers,
John

hi john,

here ya go ... here is a bit of what i do ... as i currently understand ...

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

best,

bruce

B-Rad
03-20-2007, 07:12 AM
Anyone have any recommendations on a cheap and reliable digital video camera? ;) If not, I'll be switching my major to digital audio and video production this summer, so I'm sure I'll have access to something eventually :D

brucereiter
03-20-2007, 08:45 AM
Anyone have any recommendations on a cheap and reliable digital video camera? ;) If not, I'll be switching my major to digital audio and video production this summer, so I'm sure I'll have access to something eventually :D

hi brad,

i use a sony cyber-shot dcs-w30 digital camera. its around 200 bucks and i have a 2 gig memory stick that i can fit about 45 minutes onto ...

the clips can be put right up on youtube with no editing and formating or transfering ...

i also have a canonzr800 it is cool but it takes a long time to import the dv tape and put it in a format that can be put on youtube ...

best,

bruce

Knifefighter
03-20-2007, 09:37 AM

Ummm.... I'd say this begs the question:

Where is the link to clips of your stuff?

imperialtaichi
03-20-2007, 10:30 AM
hi john,

best,

bruce

Hey Bruce,

Cool stuff :)

This is mine: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=imperialtaichi

The sword bit was just messing around, so please don't laugh.

Got some Sumo clips too, really good stuff, but not mine though.

Cheers,
John

imperialtaichi
03-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Where is the link to clips of your stuff?

Knifefighter, any of yours? I look forward to seeing them.

Cheers,
John

Knifefighter
03-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Knifefighter, any of yours? I look forward to seeing them.

Cheers,
John

Absolutely... but since you started the thread... and since I've posted my stuff before and had people come back and say, "Oh I don't have any fighting clips".

Show some crossing of hands, since you do this all the time.

Water-quan
03-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Hey Bruce,

Cheers,
John

That's good - well done.

brucereiter
03-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Members: 10,575 ... out of that many people only 2 of us put up a link to our own videos ... come on share a bit of what you do ... good or bad who cares, we are all somewhere on the path to skill so just post a bit ... if ya want to :-)

best,

bruce

brucereiter
03-21-2007, 06:55 AM
Members: 10,575 ... out of that many people only 2 of us put up a link to our own videos ... come on share a bit of what you do ... good or bad who cares, we are all somewhere on the path to skill so just post a bit ... if ya want to :-)

best,

bruce

see above.

Knifefighter
03-21-2007, 07:13 AM

And yours is where?

SPJ
03-21-2007, 07:30 AM
I had a dvd camcorder. it takes up a lot of memory to record just one min.

dv with tape may record longer time for less memory to upload. 100 mb is the limit on youtube.

reasons people dun want to show and tell'

1. dun bother.

2. "secrets" reserved for students only.

3. dun have the right equipments.

4. dun feel have "the best" to show yet. b/c people may see your good and bad.

--

it is a voluntary base to share the vid for the show and tell.

I was criticized a lot for posting vid with info on the net. It is a free info for viewers. but the vid also show my weakness or mistakes. do's and dun etc.

actually I criticised my self more.

--

I think it takes some courage for people to post their "ugliness" for the world to see or laugh.

--

Knifefighter
03-21-2007, 07:35 AM
Still waiting for the crossing of hands clips.

brucereiter
03-21-2007, 08:59 AM
And yours is where?

lol :-) please see post #2 on this thread ... that is where i put a link to my youtube channel which has over 20 clips of me doing various ima / push hands related stuff ... i was the first one to post their clips on this thread ... its funny that you say "and yours are where" ...

<<hi john,

best,

bruce>>

Knifefighter
03-21-2007, 09:27 AM
lol :-) please see post #2 on this thread ... that is where i put a link to my youtube channel which has over 20 clips of me doing various ima / push hands related stuff ... i was the first one to post their clips on this thread ... its funny that you say "and yours are where" ...

<<hi john,

best,

bruce>>

Ooops!!! Sorry about that.

brucereiter
03-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Ooops!!! Sorry about that.

lol :-) thats cool ...

imperialtaichi
03-21-2007, 04:45 PM
I was criticized a lot for posting vid with info on the net. It is a free info for viewers. but the vid also show my weakness or mistakes. do's and dun etc.

I think it takes some courage for people to post their "ugliness" for the world to see or laugh.

Hello SPJ,

I remember some of you clips, and although I may not agree with all of them, I still thoroughly enjoyed all of them :)

We are all students of martial arts. I make it a point that I DO NOT criticise anyone. Unless someone knows absolutely everything about everything, there is still a possibility that what we criticize is base on what we do not understand. The most we can do is to say "in my opinion, I don't think it will work. And the reason is......" etc.

Open objective discussion is always good, and I definitely encourage it. Everyone is entitled to a different view. But too often we see personal attacks and name calling base on personal bias and it should be discouraged. Intimidating someone into silence has a negative impact on the martial art community as a whole.

Of course, whether one wants to post videos on the internet is totally voluntary. But I do wish that more of us would jump out of our comfort zone a bit and share what we can do, especially if it is something that could raise discussions.

Cheers,
John

Knifefighter
03-21-2007, 04:57 PM
The most we can do is to say "in my opinion, I don't think it will work. And the reason is......" etc.

In my opinion, I don't think clips posted are worth anything without also showing what is being demonstrated working in a live environment against a resisting opponent. :)

neilhytholt
03-21-2007, 05:04 PM
In my opinion, I don't think clips posted are worth anything without also showing what is being demonstrated working in a live environment against a resisting opponent. :)

Yeah, I don't think clips are worth anything unless it's a live fight on the street where the attackers are actually trying to kill you with guns and knives.

Since my last big fight against a small army of 50 attackers armed with tanks and grenades wasn't taped because they shot my video camera while I was fending them off with a small shovel, unfortunately I can't give you any clips. :(

imperialtaichi
03-21-2007, 07:32 PM

True, to a point. Clips shows only what potentially can be done.

But trying to get security footage of youself involved in a pub fight can be rather tricky :)

Cheers,
John

brucereiter
03-21-2007, 07:35 PM
hi again ya'all,

no takers yet? post a clip of some ima practice ... form, push hands, applications, sparring, just expressing ideas etc etc ...

best,

bruce

Knifefighter
03-21-2007, 08:19 PM
True, to a point. Clips shows only what potentially can be done.

But trying to get security footage of youself involved in a pub fight can be rather tricky :)

Shouldn't be so tricky for someone who "regularly crosses hands" with other disciplines.

neilhytholt
03-21-2007, 08:28 PM
hi again ya'all,

no takers yet? post a clip of some ima practice ... form, push hands, applications, sparring, just expressing ideas etc etc ...

best,

bruce

I'd put up a clip of my out of shape ass, but it would be too embarassing honestly.

If you want to see our local Hung Gar, teacher, though, check out this Klingon Bat'leth clip. (And people ask me why I don't want to train with local teachers). BTW before this guy moved to Seattle he was in good shape.

http://www.winglamseattle.com/movies.html

imperialtaichi
03-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Shouldn't be so tricky for someone who "regularly crosses hands" with other disciplines.

....yawn....zzzz

imperialtaichi
03-21-2007, 08:36 PM
I'd put up a clip of my out of shape ass, but it would be too embarassing honestly.

Don't be embarassed :) I am sure many of us would like to see your clip.

Cheers,
John

brucereiter
03-22-2007, 02:54 PM
hi again ya'all,

best,

bruce

come on ... :-)

shaolin_allan
03-22-2007, 03:36 PM
I myself do sun lutang style baguazhang. I'm sure many people can relate in these forums that our sifus do not give us permission to do video clips of stuff we may otherwise want to in fear of other schools stealing it. This has been the case many times in older traditional chinese and japanese schools.

neilhytholt
03-22-2007, 03:56 PM
I myself do sun lutang style baguazhang. I'm sure many people can relate in these forums that our sifus do not give us permission to do video clips of stuff we may otherwise want to in fear of other schools stealing it. This has been the case many times in older traditional chinese and japanese schools.

These guys want videos, why not just support the forum and buy them off of www.martialartsmart.net.

imperialtaichi
03-22-2007, 04:14 PM

Fair enough, if that's the policy of the school, we should respect that.

Cheers,
John

brucereiter
03-22-2007, 06:02 PM

that is fine if your teacher does not allow ... but out of close to 10000 forum members i am sure there are more than 2 people whos teachers will allow :-)

brucereiter
03-22-2007, 08:57 PM
ok, this is my first attempt ever at putting something on You Tube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxswOdXlXes

a few caveats:

1) the quality stinks; it's a video of a video playing on TV - so until I get the tape transfered onto DVD or something, that's how it's gonna be

2) this is NOT a polished routine: my step-daughter's TKD school was competing at a tournament, and at the last minute I had the idea to throw together a routine for the Black Belt Self Defense division, so I grabbed 2 BB's from her school, threw the routine together really quickly, and practiced maybe 2 hours total for about 3 sessions over ~ a 2 week period; so part of the reason they are attacking so slowly is that it's still kinda new for them, and it was very hard for them to actually do a routine where they attacked, blocked and counter attacked - they were so used to doing the old TKD throw one punch and stand there - the concept of two-person sets was sort of outside of their box; oh, also, I also had to tone down the throws bcause they didn't know how to fall without killing themselves either...
oh, and, sad to say, we actually won first place...

anyway, it's about the only interesting thing I have of myself on video, if I have time I will try to "re-film" it with better lighting, whatever...enjoy

hi ...
no caveats needed ... thanks for adding to the thread.
i like some of the applications like at 108, 114 and 116 on the clip ... nice stuff.

best,

bruce

imperialtaichi
03-22-2007, 10:24 PM

Hello Cjurakpt,

That was awsome! Smooth, practical, effective. You deserved to win! Would have been hard for the TKD dudes to do no doubt.

Cheers,
John

spiralstair
03-22-2007, 11:59 PM
Hey Cjruakpt,

Good Peng!:D

Scott R. Brown
03-23-2007, 12:23 AM
Hi cjruakpt,

I agree with the others. That was well worth watching. Very fluid. Thank you for posting it.

hinokata
03-23-2007, 03:53 AM
hi john,

best,

bruce

Looking pretty good to me :)

hinokata
03-23-2007, 03:56 AM

Very nice! I hope I get that polished someday :D

hinokata
03-23-2007, 04:10 AM
Hey Bruce,

Cheers,
John

Very nicely done. Keep up the good work. :)

SPJ
03-23-2007, 07:55 AM
the thing about making your vid public.

once they are released, they started to have life of their own.

they will be linked and discussed by others.

e.g. my Ba Ji vid were linked in a Taiwan Ba Ji video blog and Japanese karate in Tokyo for discussion of low kick etc.

--

:eek: :D

brucereiter
03-23-2007, 08:13 AM
the thing about making your vid public.

once they are released, they started to have life of their own.

they will be linked and discussed by others.

e.g. my Ba Ji vid were linked in a Taiwan Ba Ji video blog and Japanese karate in Tokyo for discussion of low kick etc.

--

:eek: :D

is that good or bad?

Water-quan
03-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Depends - remember that guy who did ba ji and was called Ohn Yon??

SPJ
03-23-2007, 05:58 PM
is that good or bad?

I think that it really depends on the generosity and good will of the vid posters to post their stuff.

sort of bitter sweet like the taste of a bitter melon.

if everyone just links and discusses other ppl's vid,

wouldn't we post some of our stuff good or bad, just to be fair?

---

:)

brucereiter
03-23-2007, 08:45 PM
I think that it really depends on the generosity and good will of the vid posters to post their stuff.

sort of bitter sweet like the taste of a bitter melon.

if everyone just links and discusses other ppl's vid,

wouldn't we post some of our stuff good or bad, just to be fair?

---

i wish more people would share how they practice ... specifically the "harsh critics" lol :-) ...

Knifefighter
03-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Where are the crossing hands clips of those who supposedly do this?

brucereiter
03-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Where are the crossing hands clips of those who supposedly do this?

what do you mean by crossing hands? push hands? fighting? sparring?

if you look at the link i posted there are several of me doing push hands ...

Water-quan
03-24-2007, 03:35 AM
i wish more people would share how they practice ... specifically the "harsh critics" lol :-) ...

Well, that;s a difficult one, because the "right way" is already native to you, and based around your own physique and movement. The "wrong way" is much easier to see and strip away, just by seeing it - so 99% of the work of improvement can be done by critical thought applied to our previous beliefs about martial arts - or to what others are doing.

Knifefighter
03-24-2007, 08:16 AM
what do you mean by crossing hands? push hands? fighting? sparring?

if you look at the link i posted there are several of me doing push hands ...

Crossing hands = sparring/fighting at full contact against another fully resisting opponent.

brucereiter
03-24-2007, 09:07 AM
Crossing hands = sparring/fighting at full contact against another fully resisting opponent.

unfortunatly at this time i dont have a video with that content to share ... at some time in the future i will ...

brucereiter
03-24-2007, 09:09 AM
Well, that;s a difficult one, because the "right way" is already native to you, and based around your own physique and movement. The "wrong way" is much easier to see and strip away, just by seeing it - so 99% of the work of improvement can be done by critical thought applied to our previous beliefs about martial arts - or to what others are doing.

i am not really talking about right or wrong as that is very subjective. i would just like to observe where people are in their practice. why are most people not interested in showing videos of there practice?

Prairie
03-24-2007, 08:17 PM
I don't post here terribly often, but I've noticed as more people share - more people are encouraged to share. So, in that light I put a link to my youtube page:

www.youtube.com/mdvvi

Some of you have seen these already as I post on other boards as well.

Just because we put up a video doesn't mean we're proclaiming ourselves to be a grand pubah of goodliness. Just sharing the good and bad of our practice. It helps builds community in my opinion.

I'm not an instructor, but rather just a student of martial arts. If you wish to comment or critique, be my guest. I only implore courtesy :)

Be Well

brucereiter
03-24-2007, 08:37 PM
I don't post here terribly often, but I've noticed as more people share - more people are encouraged to share. So, in that light I put a link to my youtube page:

www.youtube.com/mdvvi

Just because we put up a video doesn't mean we're proclaiming ourselves to be a grand pubah of goodliness. Just sharing the good and bad of our practice. It helps builds community in my opinion.

I'm not an instructor, but rather just a student of martial arts. If you wish to comment or critique, be my guest. I only implore courtesy :)

Be Well

hi there,

:-)

imperialtaichi
03-24-2007, 10:31 PM

Hello Prairie,

Well said. That's the spirit of sharing. How long have you been practicing? The clips show someone very dedicated to her art. :)

Cheers,
John

Water-quan
03-25-2007, 04:58 AM

www.youtube.com/mdvvi

Be Well

Hi Prarie -that's very good. Good for you!

neilhytholt
03-25-2007, 05:20 PM

Be Well

Good show. It appears that Vancouver and Seattle share the same bleary climate much of the year. :)

Prairie
03-26-2007, 01:00 AM
Hi

I've been practicing taiji for roughly seven years. I've spent a lot of that time practicing by myself though, so would really benefit at this stage some contact work. I'll get this straightened out sooner or later, but until then I'll keep plodding along. It's usually enjoyable so it's not so much a chore as "plodding" makes it seem. ;)

Seattle and Vancouver get pretty similar weather I think - though not exactly the same. It's not dreary all year round. Summer and early Autumn are especially wonderful. Winter of course is rain, rain, and more rain.

I posted semi-regularly here for a period of about a year around 5 years ago. Since then I've mostly lurked or been mostly absent. I'll poke about here a lil more often now that I've found out it's friendly here :)

Bye for Now

neilhytholt
03-26-2007, 09:59 AM
Hi

so would really benefit at this stage some contact work.

You should be able to find some push-hands in Vancouver. There's this guy that used to send me open push-hands invitations all the time for Vancouver. Looks like you're a ways from Vancouver, though.

Winter of course is rain, rain, and more rain.

Of course, in Seattle, winter lasts from October->May. LOL Actually the weather isn't too bad today. Last few days have only been partly rainy.

SPJ
03-27-2007, 07:27 AM
the other issue to think about when you post your vid's.

people may download them and do whatever they want.

--

:eek:

imperialtaichi
03-28-2007, 06:17 PM

--

Hello SPJ,

You used to be very positive about your posts, and I enjoyed reading them. Why so negative lately? What's going on?

Cheers,
John

Juan Alvarez
03-28-2007, 09:21 PM

--

Of course they can do whatever they want, but if your teacher is a good teacher and you are a hard working student, they will never be able to do what YOU are doing. They will be able to copy the movements, the postures and the choregraphy but they will never copy the intent and your hard work... At the end, who really cares about the "monkey sees, monkey does"?

J

omarthefish
03-29-2007, 01:56 AM
Here's mine:

A short push hands clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrXz6mZJQes&mode=related&search=

imperialtaichi
03-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Here's mine:

A short push hands clip:

Thanks Omarthefish, some very nice moves there.

Cheers,
John

omarthefish
03-31-2007, 04:20 AM
Thanks.

That was a "high pat horse" followed by him teaching me a counter to it using "Jade Maiden Works Shuttles".

Fu-Pow
03-31-2007, 09:58 PM
Nice jammies.

omarthefish
04-01-2007, 06:45 AM
It was a nice TV interview.

http://www.6rooms.com/watch/375717.html

SPJ
04-02-2007, 06:33 AM

--

just found out. there is a website that may download your vid clip into mobile device such as a pod and even air them on TV chanel.

:eek: :D :) :cool:

brucereiter
04-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Here's mine:

A short push hands clip:

i always like watching that one omar ...

best,

bruce

omarthefish
04-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks dude.

qiphlow
04-03-2007, 10:52 AM
here's mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7do1hHOQdC8

brucereiter
04-03-2007, 05:13 PM
here's mine:

cool man ...

imperialtaichi
04-03-2007, 05:51 PM
here's mine:

Nice one Qiphlow. Except it stopped exactly at the spot where I would like to see the next move!

Cheers,
John

qiphlow
04-04-2007, 07:21 AM
thanks bruce--i know that clip is old news to you:)
thanks, john--unfortunately, i've got only a small amount of memory in the camera!
as soon as i can get my lazy ass to the store, i can get a bigger memory card, and maybe post an actual form...:)
--jeff

imperialtaichi
04-14-2007, 11:10 PM
Hi Guys,

Another clip on 7 Stars fist, in English.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlFnb_H0wi0

Cheers,
John

Prairie
04-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Nice Clip about the 7 Stars John!

omarthefish
04-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Hi Guys,

Another clip on 7 Stars fist, in English.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlFnb_H0wi0

Cheers,
John
You've got a really nice selection of very interesting clips up there but nothing of your form. Your handle suggests your doing the 108. Is that the case? It's a pretty elusive form. I've never been able to find a video of it anywhere. I'm not asking for a form clip or anything. Just curious if that's your training. I've been really curious about it for a while and all the so called 108's out there seem to be just 85 step forms that have been re-numbered like this thing here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nprZhmfpH40

That is the standard Yang Chengfu form being called "108" just for marketing purposes.

imperialtaichi
04-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Your handle suggests your doing the 108. Is that the case?

Hello Omartherfish,

Thanks for the comments :)

I am from the Yang Jianhou->Wang Yongquen->Wei Shuren line. Our form consist of 89 movements. It is not very popular, and is very different from anything from the Yang Chenfu line. I practice mostly a simplified 37 movement version though as it takes way too long to do the complete form.

I should put the first section on Youtube some day....

Cheers,
John

imperialtaichi
04-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Nice Clip about the 7 Stars John!

Thanks Prairie :)

Cheers,
John

cjurakpt
04-15-2007, 06:35 PM
I should put the first section on Youtube some day....

if you do that, I'll ask my teacher about doing the same with our version, which does not come through YLC's sons, but rather from a student of his in beijing who was not a family member; while there are many similarities, there are also many differences - in some ways, the form works as a more recognizeable segue between what he probably learned in Chen vilage and what is more commonly done these days...

imperialtaichi
04-15-2007, 09:40 PM
if you do that, I'll ask my teacher about doing the same with our version, which does not come through YLC's sons, but rather from a student of his in beijing who was not a family member;

Hello Cjurakpt,

That would be cool :)

May I ask, the student of YLC that you mentioned, is he a Manchurian? An Imperial Guard? Held some sort of Government position?

Cheers,
John

cjurakpt
04-16-2007, 04:39 AM
Hello Cjurakpt,

That would be cool :)

May I ask, the student of YLC that you mentioned, is he a Manchurian? An Imperial Guard? Held some sort of Government position?

Cheers,
John

I think that he was a Mandarin court official - I believe that his name was Yang Zai Teng (that is almost certainly bad romanization, and I don't have the actual characters); he was pretty old when my teacher's teacher, Master Ham King Koo, first studied with him, sometime in the early 1900's (Master Koo was around 8 or 9 at the time)

our history and lineage is one of those things that my teacher hasn't really talked about much until recently, so I am still a little fuzzy on some of the details...

SPJ
04-19-2007, 07:06 AM
Hello SPJ,

You used to be very positive about your posts, and I enjoyed reading them. Why so negative lately? What's going on?

Cheers,
John

agreed. overall posting "your" stuff is positive for us and everyone else.

http://katatv.magnify.net/item/YQKV1D5N2XQZQ6DT

:D :)

SPJ
04-19-2007, 07:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-RP5rrXb1Y&mode=related&search=

had some shapes with wider stances.

not my stuff, but viewing other's vid. in return, we do have to post some of "our" stuff.

imperialtaichi
04-21-2007, 04:38 AM
agreed. overall posting "your" stuff is positive for us and everyone else.

http://katatv.magnify.net/item/YQKV1D5N2XQZQ6DT

:D :)

Thank you SPJ. Keep them coming, show us more!

The other clip of Bagua is pretty interesting too.

Cheers,
John

bredmond812
04-23-2007, 10:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhgWOUW5JU8

that is my friend/laoshi performing the chen shi lao jia taijiquan yi lu. His is from the Chen Qingzhou line from Henan, China. Chen Qingzhou retains the classic Chen style, where other instructors from his area (Chenjiagou) have switched to Xiaojia or Xinjia, or some modified version of Laojia. I dont have anything of myself personally. I cant get past the Zhan Zhuang Mabu, because i am so poorly motivated.

SPJ
05-14-2007, 11:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8iyT3cn2ng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCArMg1GDNI

:D

Takuan
05-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Wow Imperial!

I have seen your posts all over these forums and had always thought "He has some wonderful insight!" and after watching your videos, all I can say is "You're brilliant!!"

Very great Taiji videos! I loved seeing lesser discussed techniques explored in such depth.

Best wishes,
Mark

brucereiter
07-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Hello Everyone,

Cheers,
John

tattooedmonk
07-08-2007, 02:12 PM
http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiterNot bad big guy.

Just a little advice, sink your stances, tuck your hips up and under, also, get off the hands. Meaning use your forearms to develope the sensativity needed for these actions. The hands are already sensative to touch. I noticed as well that you have pretty good flow ,however, work on linking the movements together a little more . I know that you are showing the techniques individually but this will make unneccesary breaks in the flow of energy and you want to make sure that you practice the way you would use it in a self defense situation . Just continue with the range of motion for each technique . You do not have to make disinctive breaks in the flow and movement. This will make your techniques less telegraphed and you will spend less energy.

I know that there are few other things but this is good to start with.

Overall great job.

How long have you been studying SD??

imperialtaichi
07-09-2007, 10:18 PM
sticking and controlling explained

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQIiG05v7xg

brucereiter
07-10-2007, 12:13 AM
Not bad big guy.

Just a little advice, sink your stances, tuck your hips up and under, also, get off the hands. Meaning use your forearms to develope the sensativity needed for these actions. The hands are already sensative to touch. I noticed as well that you have pretty good flow ,however, work on linking the movements together a little more . I know that you are showing the techniques individually but this will make unneccesary breaks in the flow of energy and you want to make sure that you practice the way you would use it in a self defense situation . Just continue with the range of motion for each technique . You do not have to make disinctive breaks in the flow and movement. This will make your techniques less telegraphed and you will spend less energy.

I know that there are few other things but this is good to start with.

Overall great job.

How long have you been studying SD??

some good advice and observations.

i started at csc atlanta in 1997

brucereiter
07-10-2007, 12:34 AM
hi john,

that was cool ...

brucereiter
01-08-2008, 07:55 PM
hi ya'all,

does anyone have any new clips of their practice to share?

Baqualin
01-09-2008, 10:03 AM
hi ya'all,

Hey Bruce,
The most recent clip of your Chen in Sydney was nice.....you've really improved in a short time. I bought my girlfriend a video cam for xmas....so I'm going to put together some short clips to throw on here (as soon as I figure everything out:))

Hi everyone,
I'm from the same system that Bruce is and like him I only study the internal side..... this seems like a really good thread to discuss our art.....everyone seems to be really respectful of each other.....nice....I look foward to learning from all of you.
BQ

brucereiter
01-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Hey Bruce,
The most recent clip of your Chen in Sydney was nice.....you've really improved in a short time. I bought my girlfriend a video cam for xmas....so I'm going to put together some short clips to throw on here (as soon as I figure everything out:))

Hi everyone,
I'm from the same system that Bruce is and like him I only study the internal side..... this seems like a really good thread to discuss our art.....everyone seems to be really respectful of each other.....nice....I look foward to learning from all of you.
BQ

hi bagualin,

check out dr funks links. he has some good stuff to share. only a few people have posted their own practice but i can hope more are willing to share ...

looking forward to seeing more. the youtube thing is easy to navigate and figure out ...

imperialtaichi
01-11-2008, 03:42 AM
Hey Bruce,

Nice clip in Sydney. Very smooth, very fluid.

Should have let me know you were coming to Sydney! Would have shown you around and do some Tai Chi.

Cheers,
John
(aka Dr. Funk)

lhommedieu
01-11-2008, 04:01 AM
My first attempt (about 10 hours of training) using the deLongis method. I'm trying to use my dan tian as much as possible instead of using external arm and shoulder strength. I study Xing Yi Quan as well as San Miguel Eskrima and am trying to utilize prinicipals from these arts to throw the whip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfPm8BL3M-o

Following is a good argument for eye protection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdTrKcaS9es

A lot more obvious body mechanics in this clip, as the Filipino rope whip is attached to the handle by a swivel that makes it very hard to control:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exViD1lLpq8&NR=1

A short section of the San Miguel Form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcVRAT4-PFo

Two person drill. I got hit in the hand and when I was talking to the class and said that you should "keep going" in a drill when you get hit instead of stopping - so then my student caught me by surprise because he kept going...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a13RwsKjzI

Best,

Steve

brucereiter
01-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Hey Bruce,

Nice clip in Sydney. Very smooth, very fluid.

Should have let me know you were coming to Sydney! Would have shown you around and do some Tai Chi.

Cheers,
John
(aka Dr. Funk)

next time i will.

Baqualin
01-11-2008, 01:22 PM
My first attempt (about 10 hours of training) using the deLongis method. I'm trying to use my dan tian as much as possible instead of using external arm and shoulder strength. I study Xing Yi Quan as well as San Miguel Eskrima and am trying to utilize prinicipals from these arts to throw the whip.

A lot more obvious body mechanics in this clip, as the Filipino rope whip is attached to the handle by a swivel that makes it very hard to control:

Two person drill. I got hit in the hand and when I was talking to the class and said that you should "keep going" in a drill when you get hit instead of stopping - so then my student caught me by surprise because he kept going...

Best,

Steve

Cool....makes me want to get my bull whip back out.....I was pretty good with it as a teenager. I really liked the Eskrima....always loved a short stick and would love to learn more about the art.
Thanks
BQ

Baqualin
01-11-2008, 01:24 PM

Best,

Steve

Hey Steve,
I see you also study Hsing Ie....would love to see some of what you do.
BQ

brucereiter
01-11-2008, 03:34 PM
hi steve,

thanks for posting your stuff. i enjoyed watching the 2 person drills with the knife and stick.

imperialtaichi
01-12-2008, 12:50 AM
hi ya'all,

Hello Bruce and everyone,

I do have a new one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLB9TxuQ4kk

It is just a simple one, hope you like it.

Cheers,
John

brucereiter
01-12-2008, 02:10 PM

Cheers,
John

good stuff john. its all about leverage, distance and angle.

anyone else have any ideas to share?

lhommedieu
01-13-2008, 10:12 AM

Cheers,
John

Very nice - thanks for sharing. I used to live in Killara when I was a kid; I've still got great memories of Sidney.

Best,

Steve

brucereiter
01-14-2008, 12:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1fpOAkhIEo

lhommedieu
01-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Hey Steve,
I see you also study Hsing Ie....would love to see some of what you do.
BQ

No clips at the moment - but when I get around to it I'll film something and post it.

Best,

Steve

taijiman7777
01-21-2008, 12:59 PM
hi john,

best,

bruce

Nice stuff, Bruce.
I especially liked the "bagua on ice video." Practising on ice is a great way to train balance and leg strength.
When I was in Vancouver we used to go to the hockey rink to practice forms and tuishou. But I wouldn't do that again without a helmet, elbow pads, knee pads, a pillow tied to my butt, and a more understanding insurer.

taijiman7777
01-21-2008, 02:06 PM
hi john,

best,

bruce

best,

bruce

Okay, I've just joined.
Here are some pages with videos on them.
More tai chi, xingyi, and bagua videos will be posted as the site develops.

www.cloudmountainmartialarts.com (http://www.cloudmountainmartialarts.com)
applications and self defence
tuishou
shuaijiao
sanshou
tuishou (push hands)

brucereiter
01-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Okay, I've just joined.
Here are some pages with videos on them.
More tai chi, xingyi, and bagua videos will be posted as the site develops.

applications and self defence
http://www.cloudmountainmartialarts.com/page4/page4.html

tuishou
http://www.cloudmountainmartialarts.com/page1/page80/page80.html

shuaijiao
http://www.cloudmountainmartialarts.com/page3/page41/page45/page32/page32.html

sanshou
http://www.cloudmountainmartialarts.com/page3/page41/page45/page34/page34.html

tuishou (push hands)
http://www.cloudmountainmartialarts.com/page1/page80/page80.html

good stuff, i really like the ideas shown in your push hands clips. good leverage and understanding of distance ... looking forward to seeing more.

are you the teacher listed on the website you linked? if so i envy you for being able to study with liang shouyu ...

brucereiter
01-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Nice stuff, Bruce.
I especially liked the "bagua on ice video." Practising on ice is a great way to train balance and leg strength.
When I was in Vancouver we used to go to the hockey rink to practice forms and tuishou. But I wouldn't do that again without a helmet, elbow pads, knee pads, a pillow tied to my butt, and a more understanding insurer.

lol ... it was very cold and slippery ... and the ship was rocking back and forth so balance was a challenge ...

brucereiter
01-21-2008, 11:37 PM
here is a clip of my hsing i 12 animals snake practice from sunday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUSEVjzlpmo

Baqualin
01-22-2008, 11:49 AM
here is a clip of my hsing i 12 animals snake practice from sunday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUSEVjzlpmo

Hey Bruce looks great.....but your missing a move in the turn.
BQ

brucereiter
01-22-2008, 02:45 PM
cmon? anyone?

imperialtaichi
01-27-2008, 06:14 PM
Just an illustration of some simple fighting principles. It was a video response to another forum comparing Wing Chun to Tai Chi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKhl5qx1NiA

Cheers,
John

mixjourneyman
02-03-2008, 07:16 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dZ5iLReFow8

Here is me doing a Cheng style Baguazhang lian huan form.

brucereiter
02-03-2008, 09:28 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dZ5iLReFow8

Here is me doing a Cheng style Baguazhang lian huan form.

hi mix ... i think this forum needs more sharing of individuals skills and ideas, thanks for adding your practice! looks good.

imperialtaichi
10-13-2008, 12:27 AM
Just a new one, with some hand trapping principles.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=xBMBlczTxrE

Yeah, it is a bit Wing-Chun-ie; and Kungfu Fighter should like this one.

Cheers,
John

woliveri
10-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Why do ppl put stuff up and then remove it? geezz...

Here I am with my Bagua teacher in Shanghai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HudnSSwzOIY

imperialtaichi
10-18-2008, 04:12 AM
Happens on Youtube sometimes. Just wait for few minutes and try again.

Cheers,
John

goju
01-10-2010, 09:50 PM
http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5207&d=1242157392

theres one of my spilts and two of my knuckles form makiwara practice when i larn to make vids ill post mine up:D