PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts Top 10 Lists

kungpowmaster
03-20-2007, 07:51 AM
I thought this could be a neat thread, and there could be many Top 10 lists, like actors, whatever.

But, as I work to build my MA DVD collection, as an entire genre, what is the:

Top 10 must have DVDs for a Martial Arts fan?

Chosen One

kungpowmaster
03-22-2007, 07:24 AM
Top 10 Must Have DVDs for Martial Arts movie fans.

1. Fist of Fury(aka The Big Boss).
2. The Chinese Connection(aka Fist of Fury).
3. The Street Fighter.
4. Shogun Assassin.
5. Zatoichi(any).
6. Five Deadly Venoms.
7. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
8. Kung Fu: The Punch of Death(aka Prodigal Boxer).
9. Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.
10. Fighting Ace.

My list subject to change, and in no order, from my collection of what I have seen.

Chosen One

brothernumber9
03-22-2007, 08:35 AM
My top 10 MA movies

1) Once Upon a Time in China II
2) Operation Scorpio
3) Master Killer
4) 18 Deadly weapons
5) The shaolin Jet Li movie where he has the bell on his ankle (don't remember name)
6) 5 Elements Ninjas aka Super Ninjas (Shaw Brothers)
7) Ong Bak
8) Dance of the Drunken Mantis
9) Enter the Dragon
10) Kill and Kill again

jethro
03-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Kill and Kill Again? I actually passed that up at the store cause I figured it would be stupid. I love cheesy movies, and I imagine this has to be a cult classic to be on your list. I will definitely have to check it out now.

Jimbo
03-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Kill and Kill Again is the sequel to Kill or Be Killed, which was a minor cult hit around '79 or so, when it was released. Both are South African martial arts films that feature a lot of Shotokan-style karate. The star (forgot his name; was it Steve Ryan???) was not a real karate stylist but I think a gymnast or a dancer; he did a fairly good job in the fights, esp. in the original. Very cheesey.

jethro
03-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Is it better than Gymkata?:p :p

Seems like I passed this movie up for way too long. I am gonna watch it tonight.

Also, should I see the first one before the sequel? Hollywood Video only has the sequel so hopefully it doesn't matter.

Jimbo
03-24-2007, 08:37 PM
As I remember it, only Kill or be Killed gained any popularity at all. When Kill and Kill Again came out 2 years later, it kind of tanked. And the fights weren't as well-done.

Compared to Gymkata? I can't even watch Gymkata as a "so bad it's good" movie; I can't watch it at all but that one time I saw it.

brothernumber9
03-30-2007, 08:40 AM
I saw Kill and Kill Again when I was a kid, and the image of Steve Chase screaming on the top of a wall and flipping/twisting off in slow motion while screaming is ingrained in my brain forever. The fight scenes were terrible, but the characters were funny and distinct, and the direction/editing is pretty high on the cheese scale. Definitely worth seeing once. I put on my list for Nostalgia. After that movie, I went out to my back yard and tried to flip of my deck onto the dirt (We didn't have grass in our backyard for a long time).
I ended up slamming my hand on a board with a nail sticking out of it.

jethro
03-30-2007, 11:58 PM
I went back to Hollywood Video to rent this, and somebody else has rented it! I will definitely let you know what I think Brother #9 after I see it.

BlueTravesty
04-01-2007, 06:10 AM
Kill and Kill Again is the sequel to Kill or Be Killed, which was a minor cult hit around '79 or so, when it was released. Both are South African martial arts films that feature a lot of Shotokan-style karate. The star (forgot his name; was it Steve Ryan???) was not a real karate stylist but I think a gymnast or a dancer; he did a fairly good job in the fights, esp. in the original. Very cheesey.

I saw that one on Telemundo! once. I liked how the opening credits were on various muscles. It was like "Wow, that guy named his pecs!"

brothernumber9
04-05-2007, 07:36 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if both the A-Team and Best of the Best were inspired from this movie. If you like corny B rate martial art movies, this is a must.

Another B movie that was so quirky that it becomes funnier every time you watch it is Honor and Glory. It has Cynthia Rothrock, Chuck Jeffries, Robin Shou, John Miller, Jerry Klein, and Donna Jason. It has lines in it that couldn't be saved if Scorcese tried and that couldn't be taken seriouisly if anyone tried to do them seriously; and they tried. One of the greatest lines ever was said in that movie. "I p!ss on you from a great height!".

jethro
04-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Wow, that was a great movie. The villain was very memorable and then there was that guy from the boat scene in Enter the Dragon.

I don't know if this inspired Best of the Best, but it definitely inspired A-team.