PDA

View Full Version : kung fu vs pepper spray

golden arhat
03-20-2007, 02:14 PM
lol hahahahhhahaahhah http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COg5OiS87L0

PangQuan
03-20-2007, 02:38 PM
thats interesting.

but it brings up a good discussion point.

why is he labeled as a "kung fu master" by the video?

does he strike you all as a master of chinese fighting arts?

golden arhat
03-20-2007, 02:52 PM
no lol not at all

PangQuan
03-20-2007, 02:53 PM
hehe. thats what i thought.

i dont have sound at work.

did he say some funny stuff or what? oh and what was the deal. he not allowed to do raver hand moves while drinking beer?

golden arhat
03-20-2007, 03:09 PM
it was well funny
he started makin weird bruce lee/karate/tounges/excorsist noises

golden arhat
03-20-2007, 03:11 PM
they did't say what he did

neilhytholt
03-20-2007, 03:13 PM
they did't say what he did

Looked like Hung Gar. Although those hands in the beginning looked more mantis than crane, so who knows.

Anyways that was a very nice clip. Thank you, Golden Arhat.

Now we know how many cops it takes to restrain a drunk hung gar student. LOL

PangQuan
03-20-2007, 03:24 PM
lol ya. i liked when he started hitting the doorframe of the bathroom.

he scared the police.

golden arhat
03-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Looked like Hung Gar. Although those hands in the beginning looked more mantis than crane, so who knows.

Anyways that was a very nice clip. Thank you, Golden Arhat.

Now we know how many cops it takes to restrain a drunk hung gar student. LOL

i was talking about his crime LOL

neilhytholt
03-20-2007, 03:40 PM
i was talking about his crime LOL

Oh ... probably just a weird drunk that scared the bartender.

Chief Fox
03-20-2007, 03:52 PM
That really shows that some cops just have no clue how to handle a situation. Their answer was to just empty a can of pepper spray into his eyes. They sprayed everyone including the other cops. The guy was so wasted it barely phased him. But several of the cops were coughing and couldn't see.

A stun gun or a taser probably would have been a better solution in this situation.

Or maybe a non-threatening cop who could have actually talked to the guy.

That whole situation probably could have been avoided.

Those cops need better training.

neilhytholt
03-20-2007, 03:56 PM
That really shows that some cops just have no clue how to handle a situation. Their answer was to just empty a can of pepper spray into his eyes. They sprayed everyone including the other cops. The guy was so wasted it barely phased him. But several of the cops were coughing and couldn't see.

A stun gun or a taser probably would have been a better solution in this situation.

Or maybe a non-threatening cop who could have actually talked to the guy.

That whole situation probably could have been avoided.

Those cops need better training.

Spray just gets everywhere. It's often times as hazardous to the cops as it is to the perp.

Obviously the cops didn't have any MA training or they would have recognized what he was doing, which was basically just forms with his hands.

He wasn't that big of a guy or anything. They're a bunch of weenies.

Chief Fox
03-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Spray just gets everywhere. It's often times as hazardous to the cops as it is to the perp.

Obviously the cops didn't have any MA training or they would have recognized what he was doing, which was basically just forms with his hands.

He wasn't that big of a guy or anything. They're a bunch of weenies.
Yeah, did you hear how the cops were talking after?

"Man, he was a big guy, and strong too. " "Yeah. "

"Several of our officers got sprayed during the fight."

jethro
03-20-2007, 04:05 PM
THat guy obviously gets arrested and sprayed a lot. I didn't know you could become immuned to that stuff. I am certainly not a cop hater, but it was pretty funny to see that 1 cop crying when he got some spray in his face.

rogue
03-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Some people just aren't effected by pepper spray the same as others. I have to wonder if he'd been sprayed before.

Good video find Fred.

Chief Fox
03-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a cop hater. Cops have a tough job. I certainly wouldn't want to be putting my life on the line every day.

I think that situation could have been handled differently. I believe the cops took it to the next level when they didn't have to.

neilhytholt
03-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a cop hater. Cops have a tough job. I certainly wouldn't want to be putting my life on the line every day.

I think that situation could have been handled differently. I believe the cops took it to the next level when they didn't have to.

They're on a schedule. They won't take time to reason with anybody like this.

They could have sat down and probably figured out what he was up to and waited until he got violent to do anything, but they don't want to take the time for that.

Bottom line is the U.S. is getting kindof low on caring these days, don't you think?

rogue
03-20-2007, 04:30 PM

Can you explain what you mean? How should it have been handled?:confused:

I think the cops used a lot of restraint.

TenTigers
03-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Boot to the Head.

Royal Dragon
03-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Boot to the Head.

Reply]
WOW, you gotta be as old as the hills to know *That* one!

Chief Fox
03-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Can you explain what you mean? How should it have been handled?:confused:

I think the cops used a lot of restraint.
Really?

What was his crime? If you listen to the cops at the end, they don't even know what he did.

At one point he had two guys spraying him with pepper spray (as well as some of the cops, hehe.).

I just think that instead of walking up to the dude in a confrontational manner, one of the cops could have sat down with him, talked to him and been out of there in 5 minutes with out incident.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it looked like emptying a can or two of pepper spray in this guys eyes just escalated the incident. Also, by the end, it looked like there were at least 6 to 8 cops there.

rogue
03-20-2007, 07:34 PM
It seems that someone at the bar wanted him gone because he was acting strange. What the cops at the end are talking about is if he was acting that way because he was mental or under the influence of a drug.

I just think that instead of walking up to the dude in a confrontational manner, one of the cops could have sat down with him, talked to him and been out of there in 5 minutes with out incident.

If you want to sit next to an erratic big arse guy go right ahead. He could end up with your gun and you as a shield. Also the big guy yelled at the cops to go away, which is not a good way to get on their good side. Picked up a possible weapon (the beer glass) and made gestures as if fighting.

What I didn't like about the three cops.
1) No command presence.
2) Officer Munster pulled a weapon that he had no ability or intention to use.
3) Using a 500,000 SHU spray. That guy took a face full and then drank some beer.

Chief Fox
03-20-2007, 08:11 PM
It seems that someone at the bar wanted him gone because he was acting strange. What the cops at the end are talking about is if he was acting that way because he was mental or under the influence of a drug.

If you want to sit next to an erratic big arse guy go right ahead. He could end up with your gun and you as a shield. Also the big guy yelled at the cops to go away, which is not a good way to get on their good side. Picked up a possible weapon (the beer glass) and made gestures as if fighting.

What I didn't like about the three cops.
1) No command presence.
2) Officer Munster pulled a weapon that he had no ability or intention to use.
3) Using a 500,000 SHU spray. That guy took a face full and then drank some beer.
Cops need to know how to difuse a situation.

These guys did not.

They almost imediately escalated it. The dude didn't hold the beer glass like a weapon until after he was sprayed in the face several times.

In the video you can clearly see one of the cops guns in its holster as they were wrestling with the dude. This was the same cop who was sprayed with the pepper spay and couldn't see. If at any point, there was a threat of the dude grabbing one of their guns it was right then.

And for the record, I didn't say sit down next to the guy. That would be dumb. The guy was in a booth. One of them could have sat across from them.

The guy was drunk. They could have tried to talk him down and sent him on his way. No need for a big gung ho, "we're on COPS" altercation.

neilhytholt
03-20-2007, 08:23 PM
Cops need to know how to difuse a situation.

These guys did not.

They almost imediately escalated it. The dude didn't hold the beer glass like a weapon until after he was sprayed in the face several times.

I don't know what to say about cops. There are some good cops, and there are a lot of not so smart cops.

What we need are better non-lethal weapons so the cops don't have to even try to think. They can just walk up to a perp and boop, knock him cold and take him downtown. Or from 100 feet away. Or an entire room full of people.

Samurai Jack
03-20-2007, 09:47 PM
I want to know what some of the bouncers around here would have done differently.

#1 Lets not forget that Mr. Kungfu-Master was responsible for his actions there. He's the one who drank too much. He's the one who was refusing to leave the bar, and he's the one who threatened to "kick (a cop's) ***". Anyone who behaves like that deserves a night in jail, and a face full of pepperspray.

#2 The bar is partially responsible for this incident. The bartender should've stopped serving that dude beer about four drinks back.

#3 The cops should have deployed thier batons the instant it was apparent that the pepper spray wasn't working. They should have been in better condition than they were in. They should have been a little less timid, and a whole lot better prepared to arrest someone as soon as they refuse a direct command to drop a weapon.

#4 It isn't gung-ho to remove people from private property who are refusing to leave. It's enforcing the law. It's what cops are supposed to do. Unfortunately, in this letigious society, it's becoming the norm to support the actions of a criminal and scrutinize the actions of the police.

Yes, these cops were poorly trained. Yes, the situation could have been handled differently by everyone involved (including the perp). But it's important to realize that these factors are coming into play precisely because the police are now more worried about avoiding potential lawsuits then enforcing the law. That puts all of us into jeopardy.

Chief Fox
03-21-2007, 08:45 AM
I want to know what some of the bouncers around here would have done differently.

#1 Lets not forget that Mr. Kungfu-Master was responsible for his actions there. He's the one who drank too much. He's the one who was refusing to leave the bar, and he's the one who threatened to "kick (a cop's) ***". Anyone who behaves like that deserves a night in jail, and a face full of pepperspray.

#2 The bar is partially responsible for this incident. The bartender should've stopped serving that dude beer about four drinks back.

#3 The cops should have deployed thier batons the instant it was apparent that the pepper spray wasn't working. They should have been in better condition than they were in. They should have been a little less timid, and a whole lot better prepared to arrest someone as soon as they refuse a direct command to drop a weapon.

#4 It isn't gung-ho to remove people from private property who are refusing to leave. It's enforcing the law. It's what cops are supposed to do. Unfortunately, in this letigious society, it's becoming the norm to support the actions of a criminal and scrutinize the actions of the police.

Yes, these cops were poorly trained. Yes, the situation could have been handled differently by everyone involved (including the perp). But it's important to realize that these factors are coming into play precisely because the police are now more worried about avoiding potential lawsuits then enforcing the law. That puts all of us into jeopardy.
You make a lot of sense. I agree with all of your points.

The reason I used the "gung ho" comment was because every once in a while you see some cops on the show "COPS" hamming it up for the camera. That's what I think these guys were doing.

Adventure427
03-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Yeah...the cops were scared..i see why they didn't try to sit n talk with him while he did kung fu looking movements over his glass of beer.....

Probably didn't want to get close to him, because if he DID do kung fu he'd hurt alot to get hit in the face by...he IS a pretty reasonably big dude...and if trained (or maybe not) could do alot of damage to those little cops that showed up...I agree with the people who say they used alot of restraint...

Black Jack II
03-21-2007, 10:42 AM
Anybody ever think it was not a real martial art he was doing at the table but more of something the drunk saw on those old kung fu Saturday specials.....:D

As for cops, there are some great ones and some real low life jerk offs, just like anybody else out there.

neilhytholt
03-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Anybody ever think it was not a real martial art he was doing at the table but more of something the drunk saw on those old kung fu Saturday specials.....:D

As for cops, there are some great ones and some real low life jerk offs, just like anybody else out there.

Yeah, I don't really understand about police academy. It probably varies depending on the place.

A guy in my MA class as a kid was training to be a cop. He was all excited because he was having his test and graduation. He came back, and he was really quiet. He said he 'didn't make it'. I asked why and he said they 'thought he was too smart to be a cop'.

???

Anyways, later he became an FBI agent. So I have no idea what went on there.

Actually, I just did a little search.

http://www.goofigure.com/UserGoofigureDetail.asp?gooID=2908
http://www.charityadvantage.com/CUAPB/1-27-04Newsletter.asp

"Robert Jordan, an applicant to the New Haven, CT police force sued the department in 1997 after he was refused entry on grounds that his IQ test score was "too high." A spokesperson for the police department was quoted as saying people with too high of an IQ "tire of police work and leave not long after undergoing costly academy training.""