PDA

View Full Version : Ross!!

Royal Dragon
03-20-2007, 08:58 PM
Have you thought of doing a DVD set on your Lama forms that shows the applications, and typical Lama strategies for useing them in free fighting?

lkfmdc
03-20-2007, 09:03 PM
It's 197 on my "to do list" (I'm currently on #3)

Royal Dragon
03-20-2007, 09:14 PM
How many DVD's do you have out now? What are the topics?

lkfmdc
03-20-2007, 09:46 PM
How many DVD's do you have out now? What are the topics?

www.sanda-mma.com

SifuAbel
03-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Oh, don't mind RD. He forgot you gave up CMA years ago. :rolleyes:

Royal Dragon
03-21-2007, 06:03 AM
No, it's more I like his take on things. That perspective applied to his traditional system woud be refreshing to see over yet another DVD of something where the master dresses up in the jammies, shows the form and rediculous apps that were never intended for the technique, and would never work in a fight.

MasterKiller
03-21-2007, 06:14 AM
Ross' DVDs talk about fighting from a CMA perspective. He uses CMA terms, CMA concepts, and CMA techniques.

How many MMA DVDs have you seen that talk about Fa Jing? Or "opening gates"?

Royal Dragon
03-21-2007, 06:17 AM
Did you get all of them, or just the first 3? He's got a couple of seminar ones as well. There is also one on his site on strength and conditioning methods that peeked my intrest.

I'm going to be placeing orders in a few weeks.

MasterKiller
03-21-2007, 06:23 AM
I have 5.

San Da Punching and Clinching
San Da Kickboxing Volume One
San Da Kickboxing Volume Two
San Da Kickboxing Volume Three
2005 Combat Sports Camp Vol 1

I would recommend all of them.

Royal Dragon
03-21-2007, 06:29 AM
Curious, can you see applications of techniques found in your forms?

MasterKiller
03-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Well, first be warned that he does everything with gloves on, so you won't see "typical" CMA applications like standing wrist locks and Dim-Mak finger touches...

But yeah, I pulled A LOT of information out of those videos that were directly applicaple to my forms and my overall understanding of CMA in general.

The "Punching and Clinching" DVD was the first one I bought, and it really changed a lot of things for me.

Royal Dragon
03-21-2007, 06:59 AM
That is exatly what I am looking for. I will most likley be buying at least 3 of the main ones in the next few weeks. And maybe one a month after that untill I have them all.

diego
03-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Well, first be warned that he does everything with gloves on, so you won't see "typical" CMA applications like standing wrist locks and Dim-Mak finger touches...

But yeah, I pulled A LOT of information out of those videos that were directly applicaple to my forms and my overall understanding of CMA in general.

The "Punching and Clinching" DVD was the first one I bought, and it really changed a lot of things for me.

Please explain more:)

MasterKiller
03-22-2007, 06:23 AM
got all three of the new San Da training DVDs by Ross (LKFMDC) last week.

http://www.sandatrainingsystems.com/

One of the things I like about this series, just like the Punching and Clinching DVD that Ross released last year, is that while they are training WITH heavy gloves and pads, he explains how the techniques work WITHOUT the gloves as well. He also discusses the difference between "ring" uses and "street" uses.

He demonstrates most techniques from both sides and then shows you drills to train the technique.

A lot of the material from Volume I and Volume III was already covered in the Punching and Clinching DVD. But, this set goes into much greater detail about how to use and setup the techniques. You might consider Volume I and Volume III to be the “unabridged” version of the Punching and Clinching DVD. And I have successfully used material from the Punching and Clinching DVD in an MMA environment, so it does work.

It’s my impression that these videos are not really targeted for experienced and seasoned fighters. Most of the material is relatively basic (but not simple!) and seems designed for people who want to establish a usable, workable base to which more advanced material can easily be added later.

Traditional guys just looking to improve their fighting will probably like these DVDs better than say, a Muay Thai or MMA instructional series, because Ross sometimes uses his traditional Chinese background to discuss the techniques in commonly used Chinese terms and concepts.

Traditional stylists that venture out into the world and find they are unable to cope with Western boxers and Muay Thai fighters will especially appreciate this material.

I think if you were a school owner who is thinking about starting a San Shou program, these videos would be good source for you to start building a program around as well.

If you already have 20 pro fights under your belt, you can probably save your $.

MasterKiller
03-22-2007, 06:23 AM
Volume I:
This DVD covers basic kickboxing. Ross goes over the basics of parrying and shielding, using a very Chinese “Six Gates” concept for defense. He walks you through basic punches (jab, cross, hook, overhand, uppercut), talks about the various targets for each (liver punches, kidney punches, etc.), and then shows you how to defend against them. He shows some kicking defenses against roundhouses and side kicks, using the knees and countering them, and covers some counter-punching drills to keep your opponent honest.

The best part of the DVD is the section on using and setting up elbows. He demonstrates how to use punching and shielding to set up elbow strikes effectively, the difference between a smashing elbow and a cutting elbow, and goes over some drills you can use to train elbow striking safely and effectively.

The only problem with the material I had was at the end of the lesson; Ross goes over how to turn a trapped leg (from a roundhouse) into an Achilles lock on the ground. He does a good job of explaining the techniques for the catch, the sweep, and the lock; however, Frank Shamrock showed us once you are on the ground to cross your feet (not ankles, feet) across the opponent’s chest to keep them from sitting up and escaping. Ross didn’t use his feet on the opponent’s upper body, which isn’t wrong, but, admittedly with my lesser experience, I think you have more control of the opponent when you use your feet.

Other than that issue, the material was solid and thoroughly explained. Lots of good stuff here!

MasterKiller
03-22-2007, 06:24 AM
Volume II:
This is my favorite one because I have been looking around for material on working the pads effectively.

Ross starts off going over elbows again, a continuation of some things from Volume I. He does show a pretty cool defense against the elbow, which has a particularly Chinese flavor to it.

But the meat and potatoes of this DVD is the material on working the pads. Ross goes over not only how to hit the pads, but also how to HOLD them. He spends a lot of time showing you how to work with a fighter to develop a solid pad regimen, and details a drill you can use to create your own effective pad routines. I like the way he shows you how to use positioning to cue the fighter on which technique you want, instead of just always having to yell out “cross,” “uppercut,” etc. Since I don’t have a lot of experience working pads (compared to guys like SevenStar, for instance), I found all this material invaluable.

He ends it with a conditioning line-drill routine by Ian (Morgan?) that is very similar to a lot of the workouts we do in MMA where you cycle rounds doing various pad work (3 minutes punching, 3 minutes kicking, 3 minutes throwing combos, etc).

As a side note, After 5 DVDs, I think this is the first one where Ian ever says anything on camera.

There seems to be a “glitch” on this DVD during the line drill explanation. Ian has everyone lined up and is explaining what each guy’s role is, then it abruptly switches to video of Ross and Ian working hand combinations so you miss what Ian is telling one of the guys to do. It switches back to Ian after about 10 seconds, and if you watch the routine in action you can figure out what you missed, but it was odd.

This one is a must-have for guys that haven’t spent a lot time in a “fighting” gym and have questions about using pads effectively.

MasterKiller
03-22-2007, 06:25 AM
Volume III:
This DVD covers basic clinching and throws/takedowns. Anyone who already has the Punching and Clinching DVD will recognize most of the techniques. The difference here, again, is the detail and amount of time Ross uses to explain the setup and follow through. He goes over pummeling, leverage, hip positioning, sensitivity training (with a nod to Chi Sau and Push Hands drills, sort of), and takedowns/throws like hip tosses, whi zzers, inner reaping, etc.

He also explains how to do each WITH and WITHOUT gloves. Again, important to guys like me who consider themselves “traditional.”

I have used several of these in my MMA class, so again, they are good, solid, practical techniques.

If you already have the Punching and Clinching DVD and have absorbed that material pretty well, you might not get a lot out of Volume III. If you haven’t seen the Punching and Clinching DVD, this is a good resource to help you develop your throwing game, which is sometimes sorely under-utilized in some Chinese schools.

lkfmdc
03-22-2007, 11:26 AM
I honestly feel akward recommending my tapes because I obviously have bias, but I'd start with the punching and clinching first becase (1) it is almost 2 hours long, lots of material and (2) because I did address a lot of "this is from this TMA technique" in it

rogue
03-22-2007, 05:18 PM
I have no problem recommending them. I thought they were very good.

lkfmdc
03-24-2007, 10:07 AM
I am glad you enjoyed them :D