PDA

View Full Version : How do you define skill in WCK?

t_niehoff
03-23-2007, 06:08 PM
How do you evaluate your skill and/or the skill of others in WCK?

Knifefighter
03-23-2007, 06:18 PM

Here's what I did...

I attempted to use WC techniques and principles in street fights, amateur kickboxing bouts, a professional Muay Thai rules fight, Golden Gloves boxing, MMA, NHB stick fighting, and, several times, in freestyle wrestling.

Since my results were usually less than stellar, I decided to rely on other things instead.

The one exception is knife fighting. Although, it is hard to judge fully because we can't use sharpened blades, I have had pretty good luck combining WC principles and techniques with fencing and FMA at Dog Bros gatherings knife fights.

AndrewS
03-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Terence asks:

I don't.

I evaluate my skills as a fighter in regular sparring of a variety of types, and keep track of my progress and development as I train using various methodolgies. When something develops consistently and I can link it to a training method I conserve that method. When something develops unexpectedly I look for what's new to have developed that new skill.

With guys I'm helping I look at what they can do in various live environments, and seek to help them be better at executing under fire by creating training enviroments which allow them to hone skills that need work.

With others, I watch and feel what they can do, and what they can and can't make work under pressure and, if the question is worth my time, ask: why?

My questions aren't really if someone is good at Wing Chun they are more general- does the person have forward intent and pressure, controlling distance before contact? Do they have pressure in the clinch ready to pounce if the other person lets off? How's their base and balance? Can they change body use rapidly? Tactics? How's their power from down to up? Up to down? Twisting with the hips? What's their back doing when they hit? Their head? How's their hip motion on the ground? Do their attacks cover them? Do their defenses threaten the other person or just counter?

Andrew

Keng Geng
03-29-2007, 06:16 PM
You simply ask yourself, "Is it working for you?"

t_niehoff
03-29-2007, 07:40 PM
You simply ask yourself, "Is it working for you?"

Against whom? Don't you think that matters?

planetwc
03-29-2007, 10:08 PM

I simply say, WWTND?

Oh you mean seriously? The hands do the talking.

t_niehoff
03-30-2007, 05:20 AM
I simply say, WWTND?

Oh you mean seriously? The hands do the talking.

Does it matter who "the hands" talk to?

Lindley
03-30-2007, 09:50 AM
The "skill" in Ving Tsun Kung Fu is mostly defined by Chi Sao play, as the Chi Sao exercise should be viewed as a culmination of your Ving Tsun knowledge. Chi Sao is a usable measuring stick. It is the laboratory for us to develop "skills". And it is the ability of the individual to extract the results of this development into real life combat or sparring. This is why many Ving Tsun people are quite incorrect to try and use "Ving Tsun Techniques" literally in a real fight and come out saying they don't work. That you must use a bong sao or tan sao to be a true Ving Tsun person. The development in ANY martial art should put one on the path towards true "MMA" or Jeet Kune Do. Use the system wisely, but don't become chained to the system...

If you pick up Si-tai bok Wong Sheun Long's book you will read a story about how when he used a "non Ving Tsun looking technique" (i believe it was a kick) someone watching accused him of not using Ving Tsun Kung Fu. He replied that he was using the Ving Tsun principle of attacking the closest limb. Does being good at Chi Sao mean you are a good fighter? Not really, much like someone who might be a good sparring partner but never able to be even a decent fighter. In the sparring session, one may show some "skills" but the real fight brings out your emotional and psychological abilities as well.

"If you think you are good, then you are good..." - one of the greatest Ving Tsun Teachers of our time.

Good luck in your kung fu...

splinter
03-30-2007, 10:15 AM
The "skill" in Ving Tsun Kung Fu is mostly defined by Chi Sao play

I guess this is ok if you don't actually want to be able to use your wing chun in a fight.

Otherwise it's just silly.

much like someone who might be a good sparring partner but never able to be even a decent fighter.

WTF? Refer to that other thread... "You're only as good as your training parnters."
If you're sparring against someone who can't fight, chances are they're a ****ty sparring partner.

In the sparring session, one may show some "skills" but the real fight brings out your emotional and psychological abilities as well.

If you're sparring hard on a regular basis, it will teach you to control your emotions effectively in a physical confrontation better than anything else, which is why it's so important.

"If you think you are good, then you are good..." - one of the greatest Ving Tsun Teachers of our time.

Sweet!! I happen to think that I'm the world champ!! Where do I pick up my medal?

Lindley
03-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Splinter,

Why don't you enlighten us all on an answer to the orignal posted question?

t_niehoff
03-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Splinter,

I think he did. :)

splinter
03-30-2007, 12:10 PM
Splinter,

How about being able to use your skills against a GOOD fighter, in a venue / situation with as few rules as possible?

Keng Geng
03-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Against whom? Don't you think that matters?

Against anyone. That doesn't mean that you can beat the tar out of anyone. But up against someone of higher skill, you might be putting up a decent defense. You'll still get beat, but keeping things in perspective, i.e. it's not as simple as who won or lost, you can see that your strong defense or certain attacks may have caused your opponent to do something else in response. Even causing a delayed response is important, again, even though your opponent may return with a more sound technique.

anerlich
04-01-2007, 07:50 PM
You have really nice forms.

You are really fast on the dummy and can make nice rat-a-tat-tat sounds for minutes on end.

You chi sao partners say you are really soft and fluid.

You can crack coconuts between your knees in YGKYM.

Your structure can stop anything up to and including a small truck.

You have gone through the six dimensions, eight levels of SLT, can merge the macrocosmic and microcosmic orbits and can draw all four teenage mutant ninja turtles on EEG readouts at will.

You know all about how to prevent takedowns and how to deal with BJJ black belts on the ground. You cannot demonstrate these techniques because they are too deadly and your instructor swore you to secrecy.

You wear embroidered jackets with frog buttons and wear cloth slippers 24/7, even though you are an Anglo.

You champion your own lineage and ruthlessly denigrate all others on KFO.

(It IS still April 1 in the US?)