PDA

View Full Version : Invincible tai chi!?

Mister Hansome
11-03-2001, 07:20 AM
Was there ever, in chinese history, a tai chi master considered invincible?

Oh and my friend said there was some guy named chen who was challenged by some japanese champion, who beat black cobra, and the chen guy won. Is this a true story? Also that he was taught by some misterious guy in the woods? Is this true? If it's not i'll be talking to him, i never lied to friends so i don't think they would to me!

Any information on this guy and his descendents would be of great apreciation! Thanks!

Real Wisdom comes through experience!

Mister Hansome
11-03-2001, 07:25 AM
My friend said that chen was taught that weapons are an extension of the body. Is this what he was taught or is it true?

Very Curious?
Tai Chi being Incincible!? ;)

Shooter
11-03-2001, 08:02 AM
Yes...it's all true...even the lies.

Sam Wiley
11-03-2001, 03:55 PM
Well...Yang Lu-chan, the founder of the Yang style of Taiji, was supposed to have been undefeated. He claimed that there were only three kinds of men he could not beat, men of iron, stone, and wood.

Kumkuat
11-03-2001, 06:55 PM
Yang Lu Chan and Chen Fake were both undefeated in combat based on stories. Chen Fake's son, Chen Zhao Xu, was supposed to be better than Chen Fake himself, and he was regarded the last person to practice taijiquan where taiji was greater than all martial arts.

PlasticSquirrel
11-03-2001, 07:12 PM
yang luchan was nicknamed "yang wudi" ("yang with no peers", i believe), and no one could beat him. he fought a ton of people. he is probably the most famous practitioner in taijiquan history.

also, as was said, chen fake was never beaten either. he lived in a much later time period, though, when i believe challenges were not as practiced as they had been. the stories about him, however, speak for themselves.

don't forget that sun lutang was never beaten either. he practiced all three of the internal styles, though, and was not strictly a taijiquan master. in his older age, though, he practiced mostly taijiquan. cheng tinghua, famous grandmaster of baguazhang, after instructing sun, said:

"i have instructed over one hundred people. none of my other students are as intelligent or have practiced as hard as sun. i have passed to him all of my skills and now his skill is invincible in this world."

there were a lot of people who were "undefeated", though, because they were not challenged often.

origenx
11-04-2001, 08:21 PM
So, I wonder out of Chen Fake, Yang Lu Chan, Sun Lu Tang, Chen Zhao Xu, Yang Cheng Fu and other Taiji masters, how would they rank against each other? Or would that be like trying to rank Michael Jordan against Wilt Chamberlain?

"guy named chen who was challenged by some japanese champion, who beat black cobra"

A guy named "Chen?" That only narrows it down to about 3 million... Could you be a LITTLE more specific, please? :)

[This message was edited by origenx on 11-05-01 at 10:31 AM.]

Mister Hansome
11-05-2001, 01:05 AM
I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience of this but all i know is that this "guy" has a last name of chen. If i had any more information on his identity, i would be searching for his history right about now.

But, the problem is that i do not know anything furthur, that is why i am on this forum asking for help from all you knowledgeable people of internal martial arts.

Furthur thanks for any information which can be provided on this guys identity.

Or any other interesting figures in the great asian pool of history. Some of great significance others of fame. :)