PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts movie styles/themes?

kungpowmaster
03-24-2007, 07:17 AM
Hi,

I wasn't sure how to title this. But I have noticed a few certain formula type movie styles in MA films. I'll call the 1st kind, the classic, the one's that take place in an earlier time in a small town and usually involves a Master, and revenge. This seems the common style, esp of the 70's releases. Examples of this classic style is The Chinese Connection, Kung Fu: The Punch of Death, and The Five Deadly Venoms. Then the modern era action, which takes place in cities, usually involving crime, the mob, and police. Examples are The Street Fighter, Super Cop, Game of Death. And then there is the fantasy legend style, I think I read it called "wuxia"? Is this right? Examples would be the 2 Jet Li movies I recently bought, Legend of the Red Dragon, The Legend of the Swordsman, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. This was my comparison of these movies I made in another post. Has a lot of that "wire-fu", and a fantasy/magical storyline usually. And of course the Samurai type movies, and the American productions and co-productions.

Personally, I prefer, or mostly enjoy the classic style movies as I described above. Are there any classic style films that are recently made? 90's or 2000's? Any of them recommended?

Do these various film styles have official terms to describe them? Wuxia?

Thanks to all who wants to reply.

The Chosen One