PDA

View Full Version : bags?

bonthan
03-24-2007, 05:16 PM
i just want opinion what kind of punching bags do you think is better to train with
1) Hanging bags
2)Freestanding bags (wavemasters...)
for me i prefer number 2, most of the wavemasters, when filled reach up to 250 lbs, and it is more realistic because your opponent stands, not hang from ceiling.
But hanging bags are fun to train with.
What's your opinion?

SanHeChuan
03-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Muay thai hanging bags, so you can practice low kicks too.

Chief Fox
03-24-2007, 06:09 PM
I had an everlast bag that had a base that I filled with water. I bought it, brought it home, filled it up with water and put it together. I was so excited. I kicked it and knocked it right over. I took it apart, emptied it out and imediately took it back. Now I have a bag that hangs from the celing.

Black Jack II
03-24-2007, 07:24 PM
My two choices-

Hanging bags
&
A Bob Dummy

Chief Fox
03-24-2007, 10:03 PM
My two choices-

Hanging bags
&
A Bob Dummy
Oh, I want to get one of those Bob dummies too.

Water-quan
03-25-2007, 04:53 AM
i just want opinion what kind of punching bags do you think is better to train with
1) Hanging bags
2)Freestanding bags (wavemasters...)
for me i prefer number 2, most of the wavemasters, when filled reach up to 250 lbs, and it is more realistic because your opponent stands, not hang from ceiling.
But hanging bags are fun to train with.
What's your opinion?

A hanging bag can have a lot more training applications, other than just hitting it. For example, get it moving, and attack it whilst it is swinging about - beware of injuries though!

Swing it from side to side and instead of punching the bag, punch the space - as many techniques as you can befor ethe bag swings back - then step back fast befor eit hits you, then forwards in to the space on the other side... as the time gets less and less between swings you have to move faster - very tiring.

Smae thing but get the bag swinging in a circle - follow it round, or have to your back, and just attack the air, checking where the bag is at the last second - this simulates the suprise of someone suddenly being there, and you have to move fast to avoid it.

Swinging bags can be lifted for san shou throws, used for some push hands style practice, swung about for weaving training, chased, pushed, grabbed, pulled. You can train with them on your back - keep moving around to keep it on your back - very tiring - but if you ever have to run away from someone who is shooting you, we all know you need to "rescue" someone by carrying them on your back! Not only are you hero, but your back is covered as well!

Kung Pao
03-25-2007, 06:06 AM
I like that last post. It was the point I was going to make. An opponent might not be hanging from the ceiling, but it won't be standing still, either. So you work the bag, and move around it. You don't punch it, stop it from swinging, then punch, stop, puch, stop. You move around the bag to find better positioning. Even if you can only work it on 180 degrees or less, it's better than a freestanding bag, by far.