PDA

View Full Version : Elastic bands as training tools

Kumkuat
11-04-2001, 03:57 AM
I bought these "toning" resistance bands at sports authority for my internal training. You can secure these at ground level and practice pushing them or just for plain stance training. But I would recommend getting the low resistance band ones (or get two so you can make them low resistance) because trying to concentrate getting my ground path to my hands were extremely tough with these high resistance bands.

Prairie
11-04-2001, 08:55 PM
How has this been working for you?

As I don't have a training partner outside of class, it's difficult to really practice joining the hands to feet with resistance. (it seems that it's easy to find the connection until resistance is added. I think it's a conspiracy against me) I've been trying to think of a way of practicing alone with some form of resistance. How axactly are you using these elastic bands?

Kumkuat
11-04-2001, 10:24 PM
It's hard to explain. I fasten the bands low to the ground with a table leg or something (so the force is directed to your feet which will aid the grounding). Then I face away from the table and stretch it out with my arms or body (maybe even the legs and head, but I haven't done that yet). Then I try to hold that static position and try to concentrate grounding the force to my back leg. Make sure you're not bracing (ie. back leg is straight and you're leaning forward). Rather try to be upright as possible with most of your weight on the back leg. Then after standing in the static postiong you can try pushing the band. If your arm gets tired, you're probably doing it wrong. If your back gets tired, you're probably doing it wrong. Most of the force should be on your leg, or better yet on your feet. Make sure you're relaxed everywhere. With high resistance bands, that's kinda hard.

Also, You can fasten the bands at waist level (with a door or something) and pull on it. Or you can fasten it horizontaly between two walls, around height and press down on it. Or you can go into your standing post posture or whatever and hold a heavy weight (around 10 lbs) with your hands at various levels like head height or waist height, etc., Then try lifting the weight up. These are the exerices I do sometimes for the four direction of power (peng, lu, ji, an). All of these should not make your arms or back, hips, etc., tense.

Of course, a partner is much better for this since you can tell your partner how much pressure and which direction to push and stuff. Instead of elastic bands, a heavy bag can be used or a weight and pulley system, which I heard is much better for these purposes.

Prairie
11-06-2001, 06:36 AM
Excellent Tips!!!

One could also have a 2 elastic system with each elastic to a different hand. If the elastics were directed correctly they could help one to make the required line for splitting power. I'll try these things out as soon as I get my hands on some appropriate strength elastic cable.

:)