PDA

View Full Version : Jim Fung

anerlich
03-26-2007, 10:54 PM
According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fung), Jim Fung passed away in March 2007. But there is no mention of his demise on his own website or any easily found link in Google.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Sympathy and commiserations to his students and family if he has passed away.

Liddel
03-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Mate,apparently he had surcome to throat cancer....

http://www.wingchunkuen.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=734

Was he quite big in Auz Andrew ?
The last two times i had holidays on the Goldcoast and Sunshine Coast i saw Jim Fung VT t-shirts on random people in the streets :rolleyes:

anerlich
03-27-2007, 02:47 PM
He was definitely one of the highest profile WC guys in Oz. He was quite big in Adelaide, with schools in other states, in the 1970's, before moving to Sydney.

Probably had more affiliate schools than anyone else here, all over the country.

I saw a couple of demos he did in the 1970's when I was training KF in Canberra with a William Cheung student named David Crook. Jim was pretty impressive at the time. I considered joining his school in Sydney early on but ended up elsewhere.

Once again, respect and commiserations.

Rainbow
03-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Sifu Jim Fung was passed away on 11/3/2007 aged about 61.

GlennR
03-27-2007, 09:50 PM
Hi All

Like many people in Sydney i got my first taste of Wing Chun from Jim Fung.
He is a major figure in the Australian Martial arts scene and i pass on my condolensces to all concerned

Regards
Glenn Richards

Rainbow
03-27-2007, 10:56 PM
Sorry, it should be 18/3/2007 not 11th. Sorry for the mistake.

Blacktiger
03-27-2007, 11:43 PM
He was a pioneer in Australia

Lindley
03-28-2007, 01:40 PM
While traveling for work in Sydney back in 1993, I signed up to train for one month at Jim Fung's Academy. I went 4 times a week. He was a warm and welcoming Sifu. His students represented him well. I am very respectful of his Sifu, Si-Tai Bok Chu Shon Tin. I credit that experience at his mo kwoon with kick starting my serious endeavor for looking for a qualified Ving Tsun school back home. My sincerest condolences to his family and students.

kj
03-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Thank you all for posting this information. I had gotten wind about Jim Fung, and tried unsucessfully to contact one of his students earlier this week to confirm if it was true or not.

My deep condolences to Jim Fung's family, students, friends and associates.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Ultimatewingchun
03-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Condolences to Jim's family and friends.

David Peterson
03-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Condolences to the students, friends and family of Sifu Jim Fung. I knew Jim from the very early 80s and have maintained friendships with many of his early students from both Adelaide and Sydney. Jim's teacher, Sifu Chu Shong Tin was a great friend of my own teacher and very supportive when my Sifu passed away at a similar young age. My thoughts also go out to Sibak Chu at this time as he mourns the loss of his dedicated student, Jim Fung.

David Peterson
'Melbourne Chinese Martial Arts Club'

Zhang Yong Chun
04-08-2007, 06:32 PM
This is horrible.

Condolences to his family, friends, and students.

Isn't it interesting? Bong Soo Han. Jim Fung. So many people who devote their entire lives to healthy living and still...still, they get cancer and die.

Their own bodies betray them.

Live each day as if it were a jewel. They are all finite...

X_plosion
04-09-2007, 06:25 AM
That's sad news. I'm hoping someone will carry on the work he started in popularizing martial arts in Australia.

Condolences to Jim Fung's family and students. May he Rest In Peace.