PDA

View Full Version : executioners from shaolin (Shaw Brothers Collection)

Giuseppe_S
03-27-2007, 01:39 PM
just ordered executioners from shaolin and was wondering if anyone out there has seen the movie and what they think, as i've been spending my money on Kung Fu flicks and have read the reviews on E.F.S and they have been good reviews.

jethro
03-27-2007, 01:54 PM
It is AWSOME!. The love story between Chen Kuan Tai and Lily Li is probably my favorite part abotu the movie. Kung fu in the bedroom! The fights are great, and even the final fight turned out a lot better than I expected. I didn't really like Wong Yue playing the child character in this, but that is my only complaint. Be sure to check out Fists of the Whiite Lotus also. It is a remake/redo starring Gordon Liu and KAra Hui and is an even better movie.

The Xia
03-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Lo Lieh is great as Bak Mei.

jethro
03-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Lo Lieh is great as Bak Mei.

Very true. He actually directed fists of the White Lotus and I liked his performance even better in that movie. I think somebody had Pai Mei as their avatar at one time;)

Jimbo
03-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Executioner from Shaolin has always been one of my favorite KF movies. IMO, it's actually a better movie then Fists of the White Lotus, though the latter had more sophisticated fight scenes.

Lau Kar-Leung was always able to martial art-direct the best performances out of Lo Lieh.

The Xia
03-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Very true. He actually directed fists of the White Lotus and I liked his performance even better in that movie.
I think he did a good job with the directing too. I always found one thing unclear about the sequel. Is Chief White Lotus the same person as Bak Mei or are they two different people. Internet sources claim that it's a different person. They say that the defeat we see is his death. I don't buy that because the characters fight the same and have the same personality, looks, and mannerisms. For me to believe that Chief White Lotus and Bak Mei are not one and the same, I need some solid evidence.

I think somebody had Pai Mei as their avatar at one time;)
And what a nice avatar it was.
How do you like my current one?

MasterKiller
03-30-2007, 06:28 AM
In the English-dubbed version of Fists of the White Lotus (the sequel), he says Pai Mei was his brother.

jethro
03-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Yeah, like MK said, he's his brother, but he is playin the same exact chacacter.

At the start of Fist of White Lotus, Pai Mei dies.

The Xia
04-06-2007, 11:22 AM
I don't remember him saying he was his brother.

jethro
04-06-2007, 06:27 PM
At the start of the movie it explains this briefly.

Do you have English dub or original language?

GeneChing
08-29-2014, 09:21 AM
It was great to see it again. I had forgotten what an exemplary Shaw Bros flick this is. It's such a freaking hilarious film - the bridal chamber stuff and Pai Mei's killing move is over the top. And Chen Kuan-tai's fight up the temple staircase is fantastic. Such Kung Fu!

I'm starting to get into El Rey (http://www.elreynetwork.com/). Flying Five Finger One Armed Eight Pole Shaolin Exploding Death Touch Thursdays (http://www.elreynetwork.com/#/vault/kung-fu) ROCK!

sanjuro_ronin
08-29-2014, 09:51 AM
One of my all time old school favorites.
Love the opening fight between Pai Mai and Jin Shin ( or however you spell it) in the "red room".