PDA

View Full Version : Which comes first

TatewakiKuno
11-06-2001, 10:20 PM
I currently train in Shaolin Kung Fu. I'm new to it and I train hard. I spent 2 hours the other day just doing the same kick over and over(Lunbi Caijiao) just to make it perfect. The main reason I'm doing Shaolin Kung Fu is #1- because its one of the best fighting arts in my opinion and #2- To define and perfect my body. However, lately I've been feeling kinda empty. Like all the training is for nothing and that I want something more. So I have been considering changing over to Taijiquan and Chi Kung for awhile. I want to be able to feel my chi and use it to my advantage. Mastering the Inner and then working on the outter. My only fear is that it won't help me define and perfect my body. So can anyone give me some suggestions as what to do.

Keep going in SKF or Switch to Taijiquan and Chi Kung. Also can anyone reccomend good schools for taijiquan and chi kung in the manhattan area.

Thanks

Sam Wiley
11-07-2001, 12:26 AM
Everyone experiences those feelings at least once. It's a common thing. But it's not really necessary to completely change arts. On the other hand, if you feel that the style you are currently studying is not helping you acheinve the goals you have set for yourself, Taijiquan might be a good choice for you.

There are several good Taiji teachers in the New York area from what I understand. I don't know many of them, but Al Kruch, the WTBA rep in the US is in New Jersey. His e-mail is pr@nac.net if you would like to contact him. And I'm not sure exactly where Joe Petrosi is located, but he is a great guy and teaches Yang Jwing Ming's Taiji in New York. His e-mail is tai-chi-4-life@mailcity.com. He also has his own website at http://hudsonvalleytaichi.tripod.com

Crimson Phoenix
11-07-2001, 12:28 AM
Stick to Shaolin...in my experiences, these times of feeling empty, good-for-nothing are cyclical...just train hard, make it through, and then you'll reach a phase where everything feels rewarding and ridiculously easy...until the next down-phase :D
Really, stick to Shaolin...start Taiji or Chi Kung if you want to and have already reached a certain level in shaolin, but for heaven's sake do not replace one art by the other...study both if you feel like it, but don't drop any one...
Just my opinion...

Fu-Pow
11-07-2001, 01:52 AM
I agree I think you should keep training both. Northern Shaolin is a great long range striking style. It is close to the root of most Chinese martial arts. In addition it keeps your cardio up, weight down, tones and tonifies the body.

Taiji is gonna help you inside. It will help you develop springy power and sensitivity and internal energy.

Different strategies, different training methods. As long as you can notice the subtle and not so subtle differences. It shouldn't be a problem to train both.

As you get older you may decide to switch into Taiji as it seems to be a lot kinder to older folks. Not to say that people of any age can't train in it.

My recommendation is to train in Chen Taiji if you do Kung Fu. For some reason, it is really easy to confuse the methods of Yang and Shaolin. Chen is so different from kung fu that, in my opinion, there is less confusion. ;)

Fu-Pow
http://www.makskungfu.com/images/Graphics/Choy%20Lay%20Fut%20red.gif

brassmonkey
11-07-2001, 06:54 AM
Kaga I think I've read some of your other posts , maybe I can help, email me from my profile.

origenx
11-07-2001, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I've been wondering if it isn't better to start out in external hard styles and then gradually progress into soft internal styles - as opposed to just doing soft internal the whole time. Because I notice a difference in taiji students:
1) Those that have had previous martial arts experience are much better and can catch onto the combat applications and intentions very quickly.
2) Those who are typically into Taiji for health or as their first martial art often seem to be just going thru the motions and waving their arms in the air aimlessly.

So, maybe it is better to establish a lower base in simpler external arts and light sparring that u can then later upgrade with more sophisticated styles? Even if you chip away at it, it was not all for naught - b/c now you will know why you DON'T do certain things, as well as why you DO do others...a far more complete understanding.

shaolinboxer
11-07-2001, 09:27 PM
I spend many hours on lunbi ciajao. This is basically a wushu technique, and as I found no real use for it I have abandoned it.

As for tai chi/chi kung...I say go for it.

Many say that true mastery occurs in this state of "bordem". I don't know if that is necessarily true. If you are bored, keep on moving.

TatewakiKuno
11-08-2001, 03:14 PM
Thanks for all the information everybody. Its really helped me alot. :)