PDA

View Full Version : Rib Injury

Yum Cha
03-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Hi Guys,
I got a rib injury, didn't think much about it, but it just won't go away.

4 weeks ago while doing some wrestling, I was on my knees in a guys guard and he took me over sideways, with his legs around my short ribs. His leg went into my ribs and I felt a twangy twitch and got a pain just in front of the rib endings, right where the ribs end and the short ribs begin.

It is definately muscular, not bone, and I've rested it, but it just won't go away.

I've pretty much determined its a cartlidge injury, speaking to martial arts buddies and Sifu, and its not a real disability, but its a pain. It props up when I turn corners while driving, when I lie on my side, arm over my head in bed, etc. Oh, yea, and when I get hit there....

By the way, at 49, injuries like this always take a bit longer to heal....I know.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Asmo
03-29-2007, 01:38 AM
When I was 16 or so I got a sidekick there and it hurted even while laughing for at least 6 months, so age doesnt really have to be a factor there ;)

I recommended this book often, and will do now again, Tom Bisio's Tooth from the Tigers mouth has complete treatments for all kind of injuries, including thois one. And once you get the general hang of the treatments its really easy to expand them for other types of injuries that are not exactly described in the book.

If you sign in on amazon you can few several pages from the book, pick out the pages for your injury and try for yourself. Easier then for me typing the pages over here ;)

Po Chi Lam
04-09-2007, 10:05 PM
This type of injury can take time to heal. It could be the ligament that holds the joint together was injured or the abdominal wall where the rib ends, or some type of nerve injury. Try using a good herbal plaster on it. But most importantly take it easy. If you keep injuring the the same area the pain may become chronic.
Good Luck

Asmo
04-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Something like 701?

Yum Cha
04-10-2007, 12:24 AM
Thanks Po Chi,
Its been about 5 or 6 weeks now, and the pain has diminished, but it is still notable. Especially driving the car through twisty roads.

Sometimes it almost turns into a cramp. I think it is the abcominal wall at the end of the ribs, perhaps the tips of the ribs injured the surrounding tissue, but there was a squeeching kind of noise when I did it, kinda like stepping on a ****roach.

Been punched there a couple of times since, and it hurts, for sure. Resting it seems to be about the only option, plus a little jau.

Thanks for the help, it lets me know I'm kinda on the right track.

BraveMonkey
04-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Woah. It's kind of weird, but I was looking through the TCM forum because I had a very similar injury. Kind of freaky that there was a thread about it just waiting for me.

Anyway, as I said, I had a similar injury and it just took a loooong time to get back to normal. I'm not sure what the damage was exactly, but it seems like sort of 'babying' the area did the trick, although even four months later I can still feel that spot clearly. I also got hurt doing ground work.