PDA

View Full Version : Lei Tai fights

Knifefighter
03-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Some of those famous Leitai Fights from China (1986)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWfLbV6vAec

Yep, you can see those old school guys were skilled.

I did like some of the throws, though.

But that was probably because of the crappy bases of the fighters... so much for stance training, I guess.

neilhytholt
03-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Some of those famous Leitai Fights from China (1986)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWfLbV6vAec

Yep, you can see those old school guys were skilled.

I did like some of the throws, though.

But that was probably because of the crappy bases of the opponents... so much for stance training, I guess.

This is some pathetic crapola. BTW 1986 is after the Commies, not exactly old school.

lkfmdc
03-29-2007, 04:00 PM
1. Those guys are actually fightng, not talking about fighting, not saying they are too deadly to fight, etc

2. They are sloppy, they aren't exactly world beaters, but then again, some of the fights on the old Gracie In Action were also sloppy brawls, the Luta Libre vs GJJ matches? Almost embarassing by today's MMA standards... fighting moves forward, or at least should...

Water-quan
03-29-2007, 04:12 PM
There's a shorter highlights one with some interesting moves on - well, I like the guy who catches a leg and then lifts on his shoulder and throws the guy clean over from it - top technique! That'd look unrealistic on Tekken, lol...

Spot Mrs. Bruce Lee in the second fight there.. heh..

Ben Gash
03-29-2007, 04:23 PM
The thing with those clips is that you don't really know what sort of level these guys are supposed to represent. It also dispels the myth that all Chinese are really great at Kung Fu.
Neilhytholt, this tournament was in Taiwan :rolleyes:

neilhytholt
03-29-2007, 04:33 PM
The thing with those clips is that you don't really know what sort of level these guys are supposed to represent. It also dispels the myth that all Chinese are really great at Kung Fu.
Neilhytholt, this tournament was in Taiwan :rolleyes:

But if it's Taiwan, then why does it say: Chengdu, Sichuan.

Let's all buy Bruce Lee uniforms and pretend to do hockey-sockey.

Ben Gash
03-29-2007, 04:39 PM
OK, that'll teach me, I hadn't watched the clip :D I assumed it was one of the usual Lei Tai ones :o

Royal Dragon
03-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Knife Fighter,
To answer your post on the other thread, this looks liek Kung Fu too. I am not sure where all the hop, hop stuff came from, but outside of that, you see all techniques found in the forms.

JetLi'sFearless
03-29-2007, 05:55 PM
real world fights generally look sloppy, violent, and shocking to us as long as were not participating in them and just observing (than you realzie how hard it is to actually fight and different fomr sparring or ring fighting). skill is really minimal in real fights, I mean I trained boxing/and or muay thai for years and everytime I got in a streetfight I did pretty bad (although people told me they could tell I sparred or looked comfortable I generally took more hits cause haymakers are faster than boxer punches abnd have a longer range). Also in real fights they have alot more adrenaline andd esperation thans parring or ring fights so will take alot mroe of ur beating in order to get to u and do damage.

Royal Dragon
03-29-2007, 06:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmoN3OpJbXU&mode=related&search=

neilhytholt
03-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Sanshou and MMA are the way of the future. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

CLFLPstudent
03-29-2007, 07:31 PM
What exactly are the rules here? In the first clip KF posted it looked like there was no head contact ( because the guy who 'won' looked like he was complaining about getting hit in the head).

The second "Highlights" clip looked a bit better with 'full' contact, but again no fist/hand to the head. Is it more like Kykoshun (sp?)?

-David

DragonzRage
03-30-2007, 02:10 AM
Obviously the competitors deserve credit for actually fighting, instead of hiding behind the 'our techniques are too deadly' rubbish. That being said, it was a pretty pi$$ poor demonstration of fighting skills. but at least some of it still looked marginally better than that famous tai chi grandmaster vs crane style grandmaster debacle :o

Royal Dragon
03-30-2007, 07:00 AM
Too much forms practice, and not enough twoman work.

Knifefighter
03-30-2007, 07:19 AM
Too much forms practice, and not enough twoman work.

Too much forms practice/two man drills and not enough sparring.

Royal Dragon
03-30-2007, 07:22 AM
Yup........poor coaching as well.

SifuAbel
03-30-2007, 04:10 PM
I would give this clip a rating of "fair".

Kicks , punches/hand strikes, sweeps, throws. Lots of stuff going on. All bare handed. I think the main reason why people don't like it is because they didn't go in hands up hopping before they got sloppy like we do here. :rolleyes: They just went straight to it.