PDA

View Full Version : bruce lee question, just curious

oasis
04-01-2007, 07:23 PM
can someone list all of his 'teachers,' meaning those that taught him certain aspects of their art that contributed to his philosophy. for example, he learned wing chun from yip man, and nunchuk basics from dan inosanto, right? what about fencing and boxing? according to leo fung's story, he supposedly showed bruce some boxing basics after theys sparred with leo using some boxing and choy lay fut. i know he got ideas from books too but i was curious about those that specifically taught him in person.

Wu Wei Wu
04-02-2007, 12:21 PM
briefly (this may not be 100% accurate, but should give you some pointers):

Wing Chun - Wong Shun Leung was likely the most influential person in Lee's development. Also Yip Man.

Lee studied some Tai Chi under his father as well as (I think) some Crane forms prior to getting to U.S.

In Seattle Fook Yeung helped him with some Hei Ban (Opera) Wing Chun as well as some other stuff.

He was influenced by fencing (see Nadi) and boxing (Dempsey and Tunney)

Philosophy - Krishnamurti, Rumi

n.b. the calibre of Lee's students should not be underestimated. People like Jesse Glover pushed Lee to get better.

NJM
04-03-2007, 11:25 PM
He had some northern style training early on in his time in the U.S. I'll find it in text later.

Also, Yip Man's influence was probably the greatest upon Li.

chasincharpchui
04-06-2007, 03:49 PM
he learnt 12 sets of tam tui

also learnt choy lay fut off richard leung

oasis
04-06-2007, 04:58 PM
thanks for the comments so far. i'm particularly interested in bruce having some experience with clf. i found this: http://www.pantherfist.com/page1.html

chasincharpchui
04-06-2007, 05:40 PM
alot of ppl always forget or choose to leave out the fact that bruce lee did learn clf

dan inasanto also mentions clf as one of the styles bruce had trained in

in jesse glover's biography of bruce lee, he too mentions choy lay fut

and in bruce lee's book "tsoong gwok gung fu" cant remember the english name

it shows picturs of bruce lee using a charp chui, which is the signature technique of clf

also pictures of bruce lee's student James Lee using the charp chui on a clf wooden dummy

and no one can forget bruce lee demonstrating a clf sow chui on jesse glover at the world trade fair

NJM
04-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Wow, no anti-Bruce Lee flames so far. Things are looking up!

Ultimatewingchun
04-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Well here's a spark-or-two...

It wasn't just Wong Shun Leung and Yip Man who taught him wing chun.

Bruce was actually introduced to Yip Man by none other than William Cheung...

and William is also credited for teaching Bruce quite a bit of what he learned during his wing chun years.

ammocase
04-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Wow, no anti-Bruce Lee flames so far. Things are looking up!

I would flame him, quite devastating considering i study wing chun. All im saying is... i dont look up to actors an claim them as amazing fighters.

He was extremely intelligent an pushed the concept of MMA... he was ahead of his time.. clap clap clap.. just leave it at that, im sure hes not the only one back then.. just the most publised an studied one. But then again many arts are mixed anyway.. even karate which history claims derived from kung fu... ehhhh ill stay out of this, get at me when you dicuss real fighters.

TheSwedishChef
04-21-2007, 12:40 PM
My old teacher (Dave Harris) told me he introduced Lee to Sid Woodc0ck, an aiki-jutsu man with few peers, and Bruce would drive to his house in secret to train aiki. I don't know how much training he got and I'm not sure why it was a secret. Maybe he didn't want people knowing he was learning a japanese style from a white guy. :)

Wu Wei Wu
04-21-2007, 12:52 PM
is that david harris of fook yeung lineage?

TheSwedishChef
04-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Why yes it is. Bruce Lee should have studied more with Yeung.

NJM
04-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Don't you people realize that all of this stuff you're saying is just rumor?

X_plosion
04-23-2007, 10:43 AM
My own $0.02 to add...

Hawkins Cheung mentioned in an article he wrote for Inside Kung Fu, that Bruce Lee learned some Northern forms, including Tam Tui, before going to the States. I'll try to look if I still have that magazine so I can share more specifics.

Also in the States, Bruce Lee supposedly spent some time training Western Boxing with Leo Fong.

doug maverick
04-24-2007, 12:30 PM
he studied some mantis in new york i think for like a week or so.

msg
04-25-2007, 10:02 PM
i cant remember the persons name right but i know he got some of his foot work from a silat teacher

Mega-Foot
04-29-2007, 10:14 AM
I think he studied ninjitsu for the sneakthief scenes in "Enter the Dragon". Specifically, the scene where Jim Kelly says: "A human fly...." It has traces of Iga Ninjitsu, but flavors more on the Shao-lin side, since it's more of an internal kind of ninjitsu.

NJM
04-29-2007, 03:56 PM
I heard that Bruce Lee was a Freemason and fought aliens in the 8th dimension.

wiz cool c
04-30-2007, 10:22 PM
I think he studied ninjitsu for the sneakthief scenes in "Enter the Dragon". Specifically, the scene where Jim Kelly says: "A human fly...." It has traces of Iga Ninjitsu, but flavors more on the Shao-lin side, since it's more of an internal kind of ninjitsu.

your not funny

Mega-Foot
05-01-2007, 02:34 PM
your not funny

Hello, my friend.

I just wanted to drop in and inform you that the use of "your" is strictly used in the possessive sense. What you actually want to use is the contract of "you're", which means "you are."

Have a nice day, and I'll see you out on the boards, if you dare.

wiz cool c
05-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Hello, my friend.

I just wanted to drop in and inform you that the use of "your" is strictly used in the possessive sense. What you actually want to use is the contract of "you're", which means "you are."

Have a nice day, and I'll see you out on the boards, if you dare.

That sounds like something Ashida Kim would say. Are you putting me on your **** list.

Vash
05-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Don't feed the trolls. They're the reason for that Ignore User function.

Any more trolling and I'm pairing down the thread.

oasis
05-03-2007, 04:55 PM
thanks vash. was getting decent feedback to a simple question, and then people starting posting bs :rolleyes:

i'm just curious about the actual martial art styles that bruce lee dabbled in and specifically under whose instruction, only if the person posting knows for sure and not just heresay

msg
05-04-2007, 03:25 PM
some of the foot work he learnd was from silat the teachers name is
rudy,ter.linden