PDA

View Full Version : Endurance Trainning...

Adventure427
04-02-2007, 10:10 AM
I heard/read its not good to run on sidewalks or in street because of damage done to ankles/knees... Your guys take on this?

Plus would you get more endurance from running till you can't run no more...and then going further......compared to if you just run till you were 'pretty tired'...stopped....and then ran more later until you coudlnt run anymor and pushed further. Like do you have to go for as long as you can in order to build endurance?

Goals: Just good cardio vascular conditioning, and not getting tired out so fast. I understand sprinting is relaly good for cardio conditioning (because of the rapid heart rate helping you adapt to stressful situations) But i get tired out faster than i like and i dont want it to get worse with age. I jes hate running, lol

MasterKiller
04-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Google some H.I.I.T. (high-intensity interval training) routines.

BruceSteveRoy
04-02-2007, 10:15 AM
you're going to get moved. just a heads up.

Chief Fox
04-02-2007, 11:19 AM
You say your goals are, just good conditioning and to not get tired out so fast.

Well you can get good conditioning from running but the "not tired out so fast" part is the tricky part.

Not tired out so fast doing what? Not tired out so fast while running? Then yes, long distance running is great. Take as many walk breaks as you like and eventually, you won't need walk breaks any more.

Not tired out so fast while sparring or rolling? Then NO. All the long distance endurance running you do will not help you out in this area. Well, it will give you a decent fitness base but that's about it.

If you want good conditioning for fighting then I agree with MK. Do a search on HIIT. You'll get tons of great workouts that will boost your cardio. Most of them are pretty short too. Less than 30 minutes. Another great resource for HIIT type workouts is http://www.Crossfit.com or http://www.rosstraining.com/

Good luck.

BruceSteveRoy
04-02-2007, 01:52 PM
i once asked my sparring coach about this. he said that distance running doesnt help you so much with the actually sparring in regards to endurace and respiration. however, he said that in between rounds is where you get the benefit from it. you are able to catch your breath faster when resting if you do the running. he said the best things you can do to get cardio for sparring is to spar or push yourself hard when shadowboxing if you dont have a partner. but he definately encouraged me to run bc it has a lot of other benefits to health and fitness that will lend themselves to my over all MA practice.

BruceSteveRoy
04-03-2007, 08:41 AM
wow thanks for the heads up on the hiit. i have heard of these concepts on how to maximize fat burn but not with the terminology or name hiit. since i know what its called i am finding tons of routines and workouts on the interwebs. i am excited about trying a few of these.

bodhitree
04-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Another great resource for HIIT type workouts is http://www.Crossfit.com or http://www.rosstraining.com/

Good luck.

Ross is always a quality link. If you want endurance for sparring, spar often, like mentioned. Distance stuff on active recovery/light days can be done on a bike or elliptical.

Chief Fox
04-03-2007, 09:26 AM
i am excited about trying a few of these.
Prepare to suffer.

Many hiit routines sound easy but are butt kickers.

Hurt sooooooo good. :D

Adventure427
04-05-2007, 11:36 AM
awesome guys thanks

Mr Punch
04-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Not tired out so fast while sparring or rolling? Then NO. All the long distance endurance running you do will not help you out in this area. Well, it will give you a decent fitness base but that's about it.What exactly are you saying here?

What is 'a good fitness base'... surely this is where you general endurance levels and recovery levels go up, no? In which case although it may not be the most efficient way to improve your sparring endurance levels it certainly won't hurt, which would explain why even with some of the best trainers and best equipment availbale pro-boxers still put in the road miles!

I will agree that HIIT is the way to go for ndurance. recovery, fat burning and many other fitness aspects, but it seems like you've replaced one old unthought-out mantra for another! Long distance running has its benefits too.

BruceSteveRoy
04-06-2007, 10:45 AM
i tried to do a HIIT routine last night. where it was max heart rate for 15 seconds then 60% of max for 30 sec and repeat for 20 minutes. o my god. that really is tough. first of all i went on line to figure out how to get my maximum heart rate and they said it is 193 if i am running. i actually was never able to get my heart rate above 185. i tried i just couldnt seem to do it. so i stuck with the gaol of 185 and then it doesnt go back down to 116 in the 30 seconds. even when i switch to a walk. so what am i doing wrong? maybe i should do it outside rather than on a treadmill.

Chief Fox
04-06-2007, 11:19 AM
What exactly are you saying here?

What is 'a good fitness base'... surely this is where you general endurance levels and recovery levels go up, no? In which case although it may not be the most efficient way to improve your sparring endurance levels it certainly won't hurt, which would explain why even with some of the best trainers and best equipment availbale pro-boxers still put in the road miles!

I will agree that HIIT is the way to go for ndurance. recovery, fat burning and many other fitness aspects, but it seems like you've replaced one old unthought-out mantra for another! Long distance running has its benefits too.

A good fitness base = Activity that will provide you with decent all over fitness allowing you to take it to the next level with more intense exercise.

This is just my personal definition. Many may agree or diagree. I really don't care.

"pro-boxers still put in road miles!" WRONG!

I give you this link: http://www.sportsci.org/news/news9709/hatfield.html

Notice the line: "The road work ended promptly and completely."

Don't get me wrong here. I consider myself to be a runner. Infact, I'm training right now to run a marathon in June. I love running. You can get in great shape by running. But slow running does not improve your performance in fighting.

Mr Punch
04-08-2007, 12:58 AM
OK. I wasn't saying it improves your performance (as in quality) but I know my recovery time went down dramatically when I was running 10 K three- four times a week. I did read somewhere that 5-10K is the best for that kind of effect and the effect itself will of course peak and level out.

And AFAIK a lot of boxers still put in roadwork, even though they are using intervals too.

David Jamieson
04-08-2007, 06:00 AM
running is good and frankly, anyone into martial arts should have running in their exercise regimen.

Heavy bag work is excellent endurance and fitness training. start at 3 x 1 minute rounds of free striking, move up to 3x 2minutes of determined combinations equalizing right and left leads, move up to 5 x 3 minutes of same and keep going up and switching in and out of free form and mixed combos. You will be surprised and pleased with the C/V workout you get from this.

Footwork drills. Do these, do them rapidly, do them always.

skip.

try elliptical machines if you don't like the impact of long distance running.

If you run long distance go offroad at least 1/2 the time to alter terrain and strengthen your steps.

stairs, run stairs, this is hell, but it is good endurance training.

medicine ball or routines that fall into small golden bell type training will increase your conditioning.

mitt work/ thai pad work, stationary and moving around, vary the intensity.

spar with varied intensity.

eat correctly and when I say that, I mean sensibly and to put enough calories into yourself that your body is going to demand.

...and so on. :)

kwaichang
04-08-2007, 06:15 AM
2 miles for every round you fight, The body uses glycogen for energy when you become anaerobic carbs and fat when you are aerobic. endurance is the amount of effort expended over time. Getting tired out fast means you are depleating the glycogen stores thus fatigue of the muscle if you are winded then it is aerobic, LDR and Wind sprints work well for this try 40 yard sprints with Push ups at the end of each 40 yard sprint do your max until you cant do 5. KC

dougadam
04-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Swimming is so much better for you.

Adventure427
04-09-2007, 09:31 PM
How do you reccomend swimming? Swimming until you can't stand do it anymore? Or something like a HIIT?

Mr Punch
04-09-2007, 09:59 PM
2 miles for every round you fight, Based on?

Swimming is so much better for you.Based on?

Sounds like apples and oranges to me.

I run 5k (will get back to 10 again but not yet). I sprint. I swim (badly... but hey, I'm working on it). I do HIIT. I do tabatas. I do bagwork. My way's the best! :p :D

I don't know why people get so evangelical about this. Fighting is a very mixed set of skills and requires some very different patterns of activity. Train variedly!

BruceSteveRoy
04-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Swimming is so much better for you.

i was told that with swimming and cycling you should do them sparingly. primarily swimming for your cardio pulmonary workout will train your arms to punch slower. cycling tends to train your kicks to go slower. it may or may not be true but thats what i hear. i was told it has to do with the big deliberate movements associated with these activities and your muscles memory.

what is much better for you is to mix your training up and always keep your body guessing. but try to balance your workouts so that your fast twitch and slow twitch muscles are getting a good enough workout.

kwaichang
04-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by kwaichang
2 miles for every round you fight,

My boxing coach old school KC

Mr Punch
04-10-2007, 10:28 PM
i was told that with swimming and cycling you should do them sparingly. primarily swimming for your cardio pulmonary workout will train your arms to punch slower. cycling tends to train your kicks to go slower. it may or may not be true but thats what i hear. i was told it has to do with the big deliberate movements associated with these activities and your muscles memory. ...Sounds like possible nonsense to me. I'd be interested to see some studies on that one.

Originally Posted by kwaichang
2 miles for every round you fight,

My boxing coach old school KCAh-ha. Oldskool does not necessarily mean scientific. Still, sounds like fun.