PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Video

PangQuan
04-03-2007, 11:58 AM
So in the past i had seen a dvd set my friend had, consisting of 10 shaolin sets. starting with xiaohongquan

im looking to collect these dvd's for comparison to the sets i know and for further insight.

i cannot seem to find these video's on martialartsmart.com or winglam.com

i thought i had previously seen them on winglam.com like a year ago, but they seem to have been pulled.

I believe it has Shi Deyang performing with explanation. so if anyone has a link to where i can at least get xiaohong and dahong to start with i would be very greatful.

any and all help greatly appreciated.

thanks.

xcakid
04-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Try Netflix. I just ordered Zhaoyang Chuan which I believe is another name for xiaohongquan. It is Shi deyang instructing. It is in Chinese though according to the description. I knew Zhaoyang Chuan from years ago. I wanted to re learn it. I should be getting it in the mail tomorrow.

MasterKiller
04-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Try Netflix. I just ordered Zhaoyang Chuan which I believe is another name for xiaohongquan. It is Shi deyang instructing. It is in Chinese though according to the description. I knew Zhaoyang Chuan from years ago. I wanted to re learn it. I should be getting it in the mail tomorrow.

Zhao Yang Chuan is "Morning Sun Fist."

Xiao Hong Chuan is "Small Red Fist."

Two different forms.

PangQuan
04-03-2007, 01:58 PM
xcakid: we may be speaking of a different set, BUT, netflix does have the dvd's i want.

i do not belong to netflix, will they sell me the dvd's or is it rent only?

i would like to own these

oasis
04-03-2007, 02:01 PM
zhao yang quan is same as chao yang quan.

xiao hong quan is a different form in the same shaolin system.

de yang has instructional dvds for both of these forms, as well as da hong quan and many others. you cannot purchase them on netlfix but you can get them from many online stores, usually for no more than 15 bucks. try www.yesasia.com or www.hkflix.com

PangQuan
04-03-2007, 02:14 PM
zhao yang quan is same as chao yang quan.

xiao hong quan is a different form in the same shaolin system.

de yang has instructional dvds for both of these forms, as well as da hong quan and many others. you cannot purchase them on netlfix but you can get them from many online stores, usually for no more than 15 bucks. try www.yesasia.com or www.hkflix.com

thank you very much for those links :D

Chief Fox
04-03-2007, 02:20 PM
not sure if these are the ones your looking for but there are a lot of shaolin videos here: http://www.plumpub.com/sales/dvd_title.htm#sl

Their online order form is NOT secure so if you do order from these guys, don't do it via the web.

Sal Canzonieri
04-03-2007, 02:30 PM
not sure if these are the ones your looking for but there are a lot of shaolin videos here: http://www.plumpub.com/sales/dvd_title.htm#sl

Their online order form is NOT secure so if you do oder from these guys, don't do it via the web.

THE BEST place to get VCDs of all the Shaolin sets is www.plumpub.com/sales ,
they are fast and accurate and great prices, the other sites have much higher prices.
If you can't find what you want at Plum, the next best one is www.cmaod.com
there rest you can forget about, tooooo expensive.

Sal Canzonieri
04-03-2007, 02:31 PM

Their online order form is NOT secure so if you do order from these guys, don't do it via the web.

You can pay them via paypal instead, which is great!

GeneChing
04-03-2007, 02:41 PM
If you're talking about the ten Shaolin forms from the video series that the Abbot released around 2000, the only place that carried them in the U.S was WLE. It was a series that included Xiaohongquan (small red fist), Dahongquan (big red fist), Tongbiquan (through arms fist), Liuhequan (six harmonies fist), Changquan (long fist), Changhuxinyimen (long protect heart will gate), Qixingquan (seven star fist), Meihuaquan (plum flower fist), Paoquan (cannon fist), Lohanquan (arhat fist). Now these were not the Deyang series. That's another one. This series featured a variety of Shaolin masters, not all monks even, if memory serves. The main reason that I think you're looking for this series is because it was a set of 10.

PangQuan
04-03-2007, 02:55 PM
ya i think those are the ones gene.

so they are no longer available? lame.

well, thanks to the rest of you for those links. ill check them all out.

PangQuan
04-03-2007, 02:57 PM
actually, i KNOW those are the vids gene.

of course my luck makes them no longer available :mad:

PangQuan
04-03-2007, 08:55 PM
thanks again for the responses guys.

i decided to be lazy and american and pay extra at that yesasia.com sight.

i got the Shi Deyang dvd's

free shippings for my expensive gear!

xcakid
04-04-2007, 08:54 AM
xcakid: we may be speaking of a different set, BUT, netflix does have the dvd's i want.

i do not belong to netflix, will they sell me the dvd's or is it rent only?

i would like to own these

They will sell it to you. But you have to have membership unfortunately.

And yes I guess we were talking about different forms. :o Sorry about that. I really do need to associate the Chinese and English names to these forms. Gene, thanks for the translations.

Glad someone found them for you.

GeneChing
04-04-2007, 09:34 AM
This is just hearsay, mind you. Trying to keep up with what's happening with Chinese VCD/DVDs is very challenging, especially when Shaolin is concerned. IMO, Deyang's series was stronger, just because I really enjoy watching Deyang's interpretations of the forms. He embodies that certain traditional Shaolin-ness that I really admire. But I liked this earlier ten series too, mostly because it showcased some different masters like the folk masters.

xcakid: Those translations are from an old e-zine article of mine. See Bak Sil Lum vs. Shaolin Temple #3: Who's Got the Real Shaolin Kungfu? (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=156) for reference.

PangQuan
04-19-2007, 07:06 PM
I just recieved Deyang's Xiao Hong Quan, and Da Hong Quan.

reviewed the first section of the xiao.

I'll already be taking on a couple of adaptions/details into my current xiao hong quan.

I'm going to review one section at a time and move on to the next section after I have fully learned any changes I might take.

see i learned my da hong quan in two different sections. one version, missing several techniques one on one with my shaolin teacher, then the second version with additional techniques, yet missing from my first version, with the rest of the school.

Since i have stopped training there i have combined the two versions. so im really interested to see how much different my da hong is from Deyang's.

LFJ
04-20-2007, 02:33 AM
keep in mind, shi deyang's dvds are not quite consistent with how he has practiced or taught them before. take a look at your dahongquan video you have. then have a look here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=kj2WNh66tro

you can clearly tell from the final posture, for example. whereas all shaolin forms are looking to the left with the right arm raised in the sitting mountain posture. in his dvd he changes and looks to the right at the end with the left arm raised.

comparing his dvds to his demonstrations on various documentaries you'll see many inconsistencies. in gerneral with body mechanics and changes to certain movements. and if you get the dvd of presentations of forms, many of them are done in different versions than you'll find on the instructional dvds.

so dont take the dvd as the solid way to do it, since shi deyang even does the same form differently at different places.

Sal Canzonieri
04-20-2007, 08:48 AM
This is the kind of stuff that TRULY SUKCS because 50 years from now, for example, when people might refer to these DVDs, they will wind up seeing forms with many missing moves.

Most of the other Shaolin videos are pretty consistent, its mostly Shi Diyang's that are widely divergent.

The 18 Louhan Hands one he has out not only is missing a lot of moves, but many are done in the wrong order. It's a total mess of a vcd.

xcakid
04-20-2007, 08:50 AM
This is the kind of stuff that TRULY SUKCS because 50 years from now, for example, when people might refer to these DVDs, they will wind up seeing forms with many missing moves.

Most of the other Shaolin videos are pretty consistent, its mostly Shi Diyang's that are widely divergent.

The 18 Louhan Hands one he has out not only is missing a lot of moves, but many are done in the wrong order. It's a total mess of a vcd.

You think this may have been done on purpose to weed out "video masters" as Master Leung Shum would call them?

PangQuan
04-20-2007, 09:19 AM
dont worry too much.

i already have learned these 2 sets from my previous master. he is more than competent in the xiao hong quan down to the arhat.

i have known these sets for quite some time already, and am merely looking for any additional/different applications i may see.

you will notice if you watch many different people do (especially da hong quan) it is often different to large degrees.

my previous master learned his shaolin from his grandmaster, Luc Cu Y Bo Ca Thum, a senior monk at a small temple in cambodia he was trained at and raised in until he was a teenager.

for instance:

in xiao hong quan, after the second left palm strike, diyang turns and does the hand push then palm strike. I was taught palm strike then hand push. where the difference may not seem to great the applications are indeed quite different.

i enjoy practicing both, but i really like the application displayed in Diyangs version on this video. for MY xiaohongquan, i am choosing to do pushhand then palm strike. because it makes more sense to me and it feels better.

thus it is this angle i am searching for.

confusious said when he brings a topic to the table, if a man cannot bring another angle he will no longer speak with him. (roughly from memory)

this is the same principle in play during my reviews of any versions of these sets.

these are not the only video's i have of these two sets. they just happen to be the only professional (well made instructional with explanation) ones i own.

I enjoy xiaohongquan and dahongquan very much, and plan to collect every piece of literature, video, and instructional dvd's i can get my hands on.

akin to learning anything else, the more media sources you have the more outlooks you can view from.

but dont worry, i received physical translation of the sets for years to understand the movements.

i decided i wanted to stop with xiaohongquan and dahongquan before continuing onto learn the tongbei to the arhat (if you are familiar with the 10 set shaolin system i am refering to) in order to fully master these two sets within myself. At some point in the future i will continue on with the remaining 8 sets.

it would be my great joy to visit other people who have learned these 2 sets from other areas and compare. ah, perhaps in the future i will have an opportunity to do this.

LFJ
04-20-2007, 11:33 AM
You think this may have been done on purpose to weed out "video masters" as Master Leung Shum would call them?

i doubt thats it. because video masters can still be made from twisted up forms. and you just wouldnt make videos if you were against only video instruction. he may have been forced to do it not wanting to, and so hid the traditional form. or he just wanted to present them in a different way to make people think about it. i will meet with him in a few weeks and i want to ask him about it. we'll see what he says. :)

"there are many pine trees in the forest, no two are exactly alike. but are they not still pine trees?"

PangQuan
04-20-2007, 12:25 PM
personally i would never use video for a form/set/style/technique unless i already revieved instruction and learned what i am viewing prior to from a qualified/skilled instructor.

Jingwu Man
04-20-2007, 10:50 PM
I have that 10 video set with the ten forms. I got it from WLE a while back.
It rocks! I love seeing the older masters do their thing. Liang Yiquan does Taizu Changquan, and the monk doing dahong is just scary in power. Track it down if you get a chance.

LFJ
04-21-2007, 05:24 AM
Track it down if you get a chance.

those sound quite interesting. however, i think they said these videos are no longer available. better yet, why not post them? :D

Jingwu Man
04-22-2007, 02:10 PM
The full instructional versions, or just the forms themselves?
I can post the forms easily enough, at least.
Can you compress an hour of video enough to fit on youtube?

LFJ
04-23-2007, 04:46 AM
whichever. :)

i dont know what restrictions youtube has. but i've seen people post full movies on there in sections. 10 mins per section. and name then 1 2 3 etc..

PangQuan
04-23-2007, 09:03 AM
thats a great idea!!

hint hint

:p