PDA

View Full Version : bagauzhang in ohio?

wingchunalex
11-10-2001, 04:10 AM
hi im looking for a bagauzhang school in ohio. i don't want to learn the whole system, just the eight palms form now. i have always liked bagua (im not jumping on the "the one" band wagon, not that that is bad, i just have a genuine intersest), but there are no school in the dayton area. My wing chun sifu's sifu knew bagua and he lived in columbus, but he died a couple years ago. could anyone give some advice one finding a school?

know yourself don't show yourself, think well of yorself don't tell of yourself. lao tzu

RAF
11-10-2001, 03:30 PM
http://www.wutangcenter.com/bagua1.html
http://www.wutangcenter.com/videos.html
http://www.wutangcenter.com/xkm.html

My teacher, Tony Yang, teaches Yin Style bagua as taught to him by the later Liu Yun Qiao. Liu learned this off of Gong Bao Tian through an arrangement by senior kungfu brother, the Warlord General Zhang Xiang Wu. It was undertaken at great risk since Liu's first baji master was still alive. You will not find any spiritual teachings or much in the way of fighting applications for the first two years or so.

Xiao kai men is taught piece by piece in the circle walk and also its linear form (the linear xiao kai men shown on the website is only one side. The form is a simple mirror image and the mirror image is captured on the circle by changing direction from the counterclockwise direction to clockwise direction). We have a tape which is pretty good IF you have received instruction from Tony at class or during a seminar (the tape is short on verbal explanations but there are basic fighting applications at the end of the tape).

Tony has taught the open hand form and deerhorn knife form (1st level) both a 1st and 2nd level as seminar material (2nd level reintergrates circle walking into the linear form. The postures are some of the 8 mother palms as expressed in the 64 internal palm form.

A fair warning, class is primarily for instruction and not practice. You are expected to train on your own so your setup really would not put you at a disadvantage. There is also a two man fighting form to the xiao kai men form which includes a kind of rotating palms push hand exercise.

He also has taught the 64 internal palm form and bagua sword (jian) in seminar. There might be the possiblity of the bagua leg seminar which includes the linear form and the reintegration of circle walking at the 2nd level but nothing is definitive.

Here is what eventually will be available for public consumption. Anolther fair warning, we teach an internal class and the content varies over the course of the year. There is no bagua class in and of itself. Self motivated training is very important and I say this to convey a set of realistic expectations. Repetition is characteristic of our training in bagua and a lot of people like to dabble in it and not go deep into the training.

Internal:

Yin Fu Style Baguazhang
Beginning Training
1. Basic Neigong and Warm-up Exercises
2. Basic Walking the Circle and Palm Changes Training
3. Xiao Kai Men (Opening the Gate) Linear Form

Further Training (now usually donw by seminar. There are a few diehard bagua practitioners who really train in the system so the seminar format doesn't bother them)
1. Eight Mother Palms Form
2. Tight-hand Form
a. Deer Horn Knives and Hooked Sword Forms
3. Dao (Sabre) Form
4. Jian (Sword) Form
5. Two Person Exercises and Fighting Applications

Possibility of bagua leg. We have also learned some post training. Palm sriking and piercing but he hss the 9 posts set up at his house in Canton and we only get some of it during the summer.

Tony's family supported him so that he could spend 8 solid continuous with Liu so he really knows the material. Baji/pi gua and bagua are two systems Liu held closest (also his 6 Harmony mantis training)

Here is the best piece written on our history:
http://www.bajimen.com/

Fred Wu was probably your teacher in Colombus and I heard good things about him.

Please give us call sometime after 6:30 pm. The school is not open during the day except on Saturday from 9:00 am to 13:00.

My best advice is to come up observe and talk. There was a guy from you area that wanted to come up for praying mantis so you might want to check the past posts and hook up.

Thanks and good luck

Brad
11-10-2001, 11:34 PM
My teacher knows Bagua and is currently teaching at OSU here in Columbus. I don't know how much time and space there would be in class. Class time is only 2 hours a day, 3 days a week for all styles and all skill levels. For Bagua, private lessons would probably be the way to go.

wingchunalex
11-11-2001, 11:13 PM
wow, thats great that there are classes at osu, that is one of the three places i am concidering attending college. my other two are earlham and miami. hmmmm, now im really starting to lean toward OSU, im also interested in their fencing program.

know yourself don't show yourself, think well of yorself don't tell of yourself. lao tzu

dwid
11-11-2001, 11:43 PM
My current instructor was Dr. Fred Wu's senior Bagua student at the time of Dr. Wu's death. I assume he is the one you are referring to who died a couple of years ago.

If interested in more info, contact me:

tichy.1@osu.edu

dwid
11-11-2001, 11:45 PM
Is that the wushu bagua form your instructor teaches, or does he actually know a bagua system?

Just curious.

Brad
11-12-2001, 01:40 AM
His Bagua is a traditional system. I'm not a Bagua guy so, I'll ask about some more details tonight. He does teach Modern Wushu also.

Rockwood
11-12-2001, 01:52 AM
Hi Dwid,
I remember reading about Fred Wu in Pa Kua Chang Journal. His bagua looked awesome. I remember that he learned from Sun Xikun before the war. My first teacher learned Sun Xikun's bagua from a guy by the name of Gabriel Chin in Ann Arbor, MI who also learned on the mainland, but not directly from Sun himself.
Could you tell us a little about this system? Do you practice Ba Duan Jin? Are there static circling palms? Are there straight line forms? Do you guys do the crescent moon knives?
Thanks for sharing!

-Jess O'Brien

dwid
posted 11-12-01 01:43 PM

I currently study Bagua in Columbus.

My current instructor was Dr. Fred Wu's senior Bagua student at the time of Dr. Wu's death. I assume he is the one you are referring to who
died a couple of years ago.

If interested in more info, contact me:

tichy.1@osu.edu¢