PDA

View Full Version : How to rep TMCA

SanHeChuan
04-04-2007, 11:46 PM
If you had the opportunity to represent real TMCA to the world through a Movie, how would portray it?

Obviously it couldn't be about the good guys beating up the bad guys, because that just doesn't really happen.

You could make it a competition film like "best of the best", but without the contrive rivalries. When I compete it's certainly not out of malice. It's just another training session with new faces. Good sportsman like conduct is a must.

Since we spend most of our time training, that should be an integral part of the story. Real training, not movie training, maybe a little more hardcore than most of us actually do.

Without any bad guys where would the drama come from?

personal transformation of the main character through hard work? Maybe like the book "American Shaolin"? only better. :D

What qualities make TMCA to you?

SevenStar
04-05-2007, 06:44 AM
I love best of the best. I don't think there was any real malice there, it would was just an extreme rivalry - not unlike anything you would expect competing at the level they were,

anyway, I would have the hero as a cop or bouncer if he was already training. otherwise, it could be about a man's pursuit of REAL kung fu.

BruceSteveRoy
04-05-2007, 07:21 AM
yeah if you are making a movie that isn't requiring the audience to suspend its disbelief (no unrealistic training to make the protagonist a perfect warrior :rolleyes: , and with no real antagonist) than just make it a documentary. about training. in which case i think it would be a really neat idea for a movie to have a guy that is pursuing TCMA to show training and what not but then travel to other parts of the world and compare it to other styles and spar with other people. no enemies just friendly competition without all the hooplah of a best of the best scenario. like visit thailand, indonesia, china, japan, brazil, etc. stop by one of the ufc gyms and see if they are game (you know they will be). i mean pat militich's school actually has a t-shirt that says something like "you're kung fu doesnt work here" or something. so it would be interesting to show it in that regard.

i'd watch that.

SevenStar
04-05-2007, 09:19 AM
LOL, yeah that shirt tripped me out when I first saw it. I was working one night and a guy came into the club wearing one. Turns out he trained with them the weekend before I saw him. two of our guys went to their camp too, but they didn't buy the shirt.

Chief Fox
04-05-2007, 09:31 AM
I think it should be about a guy, maybe he's a web designer. He attends a kung fu school where he learns some pretty good basics but that's about it. Then he moves on to a private teacher and then to a Brazilian Ju Jitsu school. He tries to learn from videos, books and other teaches. He searches and searches but never finds what he considers to be the real kung fu. In the end, he realizes that the real kung fu was inside of him all along.

Yeah, now that would be cool.

Or it could be just a documentary called Kung Fu School that traces the path of one kung fu student. That could be neat.

MasterKiller
04-05-2007, 09:37 AM
One word:

Xebby

Royal Dragon
04-05-2007, 09:41 AM
I think it should be about a guy, maybe he's a web designer. He attends a kung fu school where he learns some pretty good basics but that's about it. Then he moves on to a private teacher and then to a Brazilian Ju Jitsu school. He tries to learn from videos, books and other teaches. He searches and searches but never finds what he considers to be the real kung fu. In the end, he realizes that the real kung fu was inside of him all along.

Reply]
That would be my story, minus the BJJ, and I got good basics later, rather than early on...and I'm not a web dsigner, I grew up in the Autobody collision repair field and sidelined in a shop that made fireplaces...I ran the welding dept.

lkfmdc
04-05-2007, 09:46 AM
How about a story about old guys who run a school in Chinatown by day, a gambling den by night, use their students as enforcers and eat lots of dim sum

Oh, wait, that might be too realistic :rolleyes:

BruceSteveRoy
04-05-2007, 10:03 AM
How about a story about old guys who run a school in Chinatown by day, a gambling den by night, use their students as enforcers and eat lots of dim sum

Oh, wait, that might be too realistic :rolleyes:

realistic or not that has the makings of a great comedy. it could star jacky chan and sammo hung. hijinx would ensue.

Royal Dragon
04-05-2007, 10:13 AM
I think it should starr all of us.

The Xia
04-05-2007, 10:39 AM
I think a movie that accurately depicts the life of someone like Hung Ju Sing would work well.

lkfmdc
04-05-2007, 10:47 AM
I think a movie that accurately depicts the life of someone like Hung Ju Sing would work well.

The very first time we went to one of Sifu Tai Yim's events, Sifu Chan is doing his Chi Kung demo. As usual I am translating his comments into English. So you have

Chan Tai San: I am very happy to be here as Sifu Tai Yim's event

Me; translate into English

Chan: I knew him when he was a little boy, I was friends with his teacher and studied with his si-gung

Me; translate into English

Chan: Tai Yim's Si Gung, the "white haired devil" Hung Ju Sing was very famous

Me: translate into English

Chan: for killing a lot of guys

Me: SILENT (I aint no dummy)

Sifu Chan continued about how the White Haired Devil had killed so many people that their families hired men to go and kill him. I am no dummy, I am not translating this! So on he goes.

The Chinese are dying laughing! The Americans are asking me why I'm not translating. I'm just standing there, hoping he'll change topics. Of course, Sifu Chan continues

Sifu Chan talks about how a bunch of these hired killers surrounded the place White Haired Devil was having tea in, White Haired Devil breaks off the legs of the table that he's eating at, goes outside to beat them to death

I'm not touching it!

Sifu Yim, realizing that the lack of translation is a bad thing, tries to ad lib....

Sifu Tai Yim: "Master Chan is happy to be here. He says that kung fu is excellent for everyone, an excellent way to get healthy"

Only problem, while sifu is talking, he's mimicing the blood and mayhem with his hands. His body language is anything but about "health and spiritual development"

The Chinese in attendance are dying laughing...

Sifu Tai Yim keeps trying to ad libb

Sifu Chan is mimicing White Haired Devil choking to death the last guy

I'm just standing there....

Sifu Chan "and that's how White Haired Devil beat six guys to death with table legs"

I jump right in "and now Sifu Chan will do his next Chi Gung demonstration"

I honestly though Tai Yim was gonna kill me

The Xia
04-05-2007, 10:58 AM
I remember that from reading through the Chan Tai San stories thread.
Remember, colorful characters make for good cinema (as well as TV and literature). If done right, that table-leg scene would come out great on screen.

SanHeChuan
04-05-2007, 11:02 AM
A documentary wouldn't work because only MA would watch it.

Maybe something more current and mainstream than kung fu gamblers, although that does should hilarious, or White haired devils.

old master with crazy stories does work for me though

That t-shirt sounds sweet I'd were it to practice.

otherwise, it could be about a man's pursuit of REAL kung fu.

I could definitely see this as a humorous part of the story. Guys tries out a couple of mcdojo types with lots of internal dialog to explain whats to wrong with them.

Why should the protagonist want to study kung fu in the first place?

His parents died and he is given custody to his kung fu uncle. That would probably make him too young.

A quest to become closer to his estranged/dead father who did kung fu years previous.

:confused:

BruceSteveRoy
04-05-2007, 11:02 AM
THAT IS AN AMAZING STORY

i think that the beginning of the movie should open up with that scene. you trying to not translate as the story is being subtitled and than fade into the story.

The Xia
04-16-2007, 09:18 PM
old master with crazy stories does work for me though
Ditto! :)

10 characters needed.

neilhytholt
04-16-2007, 09:38 PM
I'd make a movie with Gene with long hair and a sword skewing pink ninja assassins.

Royal Dragon
04-17-2007, 06:36 AM
As well as Crotch Kicking and Nacho Cheez sauce.