PDA

View Full Version : Weight And Inches

JCAT
04-05-2007, 03:33 AM
I Have Been Taking Shaolin Kung-fu Since October 'o6, 4 Days A Week. The Classes Last Between 1 To 2 Hours Long. So Far, I Have Gained 15lbs. And Only Lost 1/4 Inch Around My Waist. Getting Very Aggravated.
I Would Appreciate If Anyone Can Help Me Out With Some Kind Of Diet To Help Me Shed Some Inches.

zhangxihuan
04-05-2007, 07:23 AM
hmmm...well you didn't really say what size you were...but...

1) cut out all sugar from your diet (if you do this the other steps are easy)

2) cut out as much bread "white carbs" as you can

3) no other forms of junk food (cheetos etc)

4) no soft drinks of any kind (even w/ "fake" sugar)

5) try to lay off of things like beef and pork, since they can be fatty

6) no cheese/dairy/milk products

you should start seeing results w/in 2 weeks if you really do it...and big results...
i know from experience..

if your KF class is not high impact, doing KF alone will do nothing...

BruceSteveRoy
04-05-2007, 07:33 AM
are you building more muscle? bc, as i am sure you know, muscle weighs more than fat. so if you are getting heavier but your waist is getting smaller than game on. you can't focus on the weight so much unless you are trying to make weight for a competition that requires it. you have to look at the over all health and how you look.

with that said. there is one diet that supposedly is superb. from what i have read the fda endorses it bc basically all it does is it teach you smart ways to follow the food pyramid. it isn't like atkins where it says no carbs, or any of the other diets that have tons of prohibitions. i think it works off the glycemic index to help you find foods that keep you fuller longer and supply you with energy as well as balanced nutrition. its called Volumetrics. you can google it.

other than that some general rules i have learned are. don't drink alcohol bc it tends to significantly increase visceral fats, don't eat at night (within 3-4 hours of going to bed), dont eat carbs or fatty foods after working out.

you also might want to consider that your body might just be plateauing and you may be required to up your output. try running in the morning on an empty stomach. actually you shouldnt eat anything for aan hour or two before doing any of your cardio. again this is all stuff that i have heard i may be wrong and may have fallen victim to old wives tales.

also chew more, eat slower, and diminish your portions.

BruceSteveRoy
04-05-2007, 07:38 AM
4) no soft drinks of any kind (even w/ "fake" sugar)

i have heard a couple of people say this. is there any documentation out there that links artificial sweetener to weight gain? i have heard all sorts of things like it is an apetite stimulant and that it slows your metabolism etc. but aside from killing you with the cancer what is the effect it has on the body?

also i have heard that caffiene causes increased fat storage. does anyone know if that is BS or not?

Chief Fox
04-05-2007, 08:48 AM
There's a site called fitday. http://www.fitday.com

Sign up for a free account and start tracking your diet. It's pretty cool and easy. You can enter in everything you ate yesterday and it will tell you the breakdown of Carbs, Protein and Fat. It will give you a great idea of the items you should either cut from or limit the consumption of in your diet.

Or give us an idea of what you typically eat during the day. There are usually healthy alternatives to some unhealthy foods.

bodhitree
04-05-2007, 08:51 AM
zhangxihuan hit the nail on the head

Refined sugar out.

You should not drink beverages containing more than 0 calories on a daily basis. Water, tea, coffee (black) should be fine, but avoid even fruit juice.

Chief Fox
04-05-2007, 09:18 AM
zhangxihuan hit the nail on the head

Refined sugar out.

You should not drink beverages containing more than 0 calories on a daily basis. Water, tea, coffee (black) should be fine, but avoid even fruit juice.

But what if you have a full on addiction to Dr. Pepper? :eek:

I can't get away from that stuff man! I need help!

BruceSteveRoy
04-05-2007, 01:29 PM
i used to have the same addiction to dr. pepper. its like crack. but i switched to diet coke in college. now i have a (diet) coke problem.

btw chief thanks for the heads up about fitday.com that is a neat website.

only problem i have with it is sammiches. bc i have to list each ingredient separately and then they put the serving size of mayo and mustard at a cup. so i have to estimate what fraction of that i am actually using. but otherwise its an awesome site.

Mr Punch
04-05-2007, 07:44 PM
i have heard a couple of people say this. is there any documentation out there that links artificial sweetener to weight gain? Don't think that's the point. It's the phosphoric acid levels which will prevent the absorption of useful nutrients apart from being carcinogenic. This is found in all fizzy sodas and also in sugar OR sweeteners and their reaction with the carbonation. I think.

i have heard all sorts of things like it is an apetite stimulant and that it slows your metabolism etc. but aside from killing you with the cancer what is the effect it has on the body? If these things are also true is that not enough reason to stop drinking them?

also i have heard that caffiene causes increased fat storage. does anyone know if that is BS or not?I'd heard the same about the kind of caffeine in coffee, but that green tea works effectively in the opposite direction: as a 'fat burner' which enhances the body's ability to utilise fat..... catechin (sp) is the touted component. Dunno if it's true.

SevenStar
04-11-2007, 01:03 PM
What exactly are you doing in your class? it may not be strenuous enough for you to make the progress you are looking for without additional training. What is a typical class like?

Li Kao
04-13-2007, 01:04 AM
I recently read The Abs Diet, written by the editor of Men's Health, and there is some interesting information there on 2 "hidden" ingredients that are incredibly pervasive in manufactured foods of all kinds and are to be avoided:

High Fructose Corn Syrup and Partially Hydrogenated Oils

I was suprised to see how prevalent they are -- it's something I look for now on food labels.

bodhitree
04-13-2007, 07:43 AM
But what if you have a full on addiction to Dr. Pepper? :eek:

I can't get away from that stuff man! I need help!

I always put refined sugar in my coffee, I also need help. no artificial stuff will do :(

MasterKiller
04-13-2007, 08:23 AM
I recently read The Abs Diet, written by the editor of Men's Health, and there is some interesting information there on 2 "hidden" ingredients that are incredibly pervasive in manufactured foods of all kinds and are to be avoided:

High Fructose Corn Syrup and Partially Hydrogenated Oils

I was suprised to see how prevalent they are -- it's something I look for now on food labels.

Dude, read Fast Food Nation if you want to really freak out. High Fructose Corn Syrup is in EVERYTHING you buy now.

5Animals1Path
04-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Dude, read Fast Food Nation if you want to really freak out. High Fructose Corn Syrup is in EVERYTHING you buy now.

And after switching to 100% juices for the last few years, I can taste the corn syrup in alot of juice "****tails." Grape and cranberry juices especially.

As for the original point,cut fat, cut carbs, cut calories. Every thing else comes down to personal preferances and what your body reacts to whether you like it not. Diet soda worked great for me when I first started losing weight, now it gives me ridiculous cravings a few hours later. (Of course, I tend to drink it by the 2 liter, so that's probably a factor ;) ) Otherwise, make those cuts, maybe up the protein intake.

BoulderDawg
04-13-2007, 11:49 AM
You've gained 15 pounds yet lost a 1/4 on your waist?

I'd be happy with that.

BlueTravesty
04-15-2007, 08:30 AM
In response to your original post, if you're gaining weight and losing inches, you're at least making progress. You are gaining muscle (even though stance training doesn't build strength :rolleyes: ) and this will boost your metabolism, though you might wish to do supplemental calisthenics and strength training to help in the process. And don't neglect cardio. Skip rope, go on an eliptical machine, walk for an hour, or jog. Most Kung Fu schools do not have an extensive cardio program, since it is the most time-consuming form of excercise (you have to keep at it for at least 30 minutes)

Also, be sure to address other factors in your life- is your job active or sedentary? Would you say it's rather stressful? Believe me, stress can have a way of impacting your weight loss goals, and it may be somewhat beneficial to invest in a cortisol-inhibiting supplement. They're not the miracles that many people make them out to be, but they can be effective in mitigating the body's response to stress.

In response to the soda tangent... I love soda, and cutting back on it is one of the hardest things I've had to do. And I'm counting horse stance in that estimate too. I wonder how long I could go in a horse stance if somehow X minutes guaranteed I could drink a soda without backsliding...

But unfortunately, until the FDA lifts its ridiculous, absurd, and greed-driven ban of Stevia (which can only be used in the United States as a supplement, not as an additive) that will simply be the reality of the situation. I just try to drink AT LEAST twice as much water as anything artificial I take in. Also, diluting NATURAL fruit juice with natural carbonated water helps too... or heck, just drink seltzer water, if you can acqure the taste for it plain.

Royal Dragon
04-15-2007, 08:51 AM
And don't neglect cardio. Skip rope, go on an eliptical machine, walk for an hour, or jog. Most Kung Fu schools do not have an extensive cardio program, since it is the most time-consuming form of excercise (you have to keep at it for at least 30 minutes)

Reply]
Why not rip through forms for 30 minutes? Or drill Kicks at a good pace for the same amount of time? Then you are doing sport specific cardio.

BlueTravesty
04-15-2007, 09:00 AM
And don't neglect cardio. Skip rope, go on an eliptical machine, walk for an hour, or jog. Most Kung Fu schools do not have an extensive cardio program, since it is the most time-consuming form of excercise (you have to keep at it for at least 30 minutes)

Reply]
Why not rip through forms for 30 minutes? Or drill Kicks at a good pace for the same amount of time? Then you are doing sport specific cardio.

Really? For me, when I practice forms it tends to be more anaerobic... but then, I've lost a few of my forms since the school closed down... I've kept my favorite, Kung Lek Kuen (Gong Li Quan) and I practice it every once in a while... Forms practice doesn't figure heavily into my present training... most of my training until my arm gets better is Fitness-Ryu Getinshape-do-pai-quan-men-uhhh-jitsu