PDA

View Full Version : 360 backsweeps

zhangxihuan
04-05-2007, 07:26 AM
hey anyone else find 360 degree backsweeps to be rather difficult?

my new shifu started me on them last night.. (ouch). starting from a forward stance, backsweep all the way around till you are in the same stance you started in.

wondering if anyone else thinks they are difficult?

MasterKiller
04-05-2007, 07:27 AM
Of course they are hard. If they were easy, everyone would do them.

Judge Pen
04-05-2007, 07:30 AM
hey anyone else find 360 degree backsweeps to be rather difficult?

my new shifu started me on them last night.. (ouch). starting from a forward stance, backsweep all the way around till you are in the same stance you started in.

wondering if anyone else thinks they are difficult?

360 degree front-sweeps give me more fits. They're a good technique to learn, and one that I used on the high school football field whenever a defensive lineman started to get around me. That was before I knew it was a 15 yard penalty.

If you can work on keeping a low stance through the entire range of motion, then its all a matter of timing and momentum. Does your teacher allow you to put your hands on the floor during the sweep?

zhangxihuan
04-05-2007, 07:31 AM
well he'd like to "not" to use my hands...since i just started there he's giving me some leeway and letting me use my hands for the time being... but he expects it to be handless in the future..

i'm working on it...its fun..

Judge Pen
04-05-2007, 07:39 AM
well he'd like to "not" to use my hands...since i just started there he's giving me some leeway and letting me use my hands for the time being... but he expects it to be handless in the future..

i'm working on it...its fun..

The use of hands depends on the particular application, but its certainly easierwith the hands, isn't it? And this technique is very fun! Good luck.

Crushing Fist
04-05-2007, 08:07 AM
Yeah they are tough...

just wait until you have to do the 540 backsweep :eek:

Chief Fox
04-05-2007, 08:29 AM
We used to do what my sifu called Iron Broom, Tiger tail. It's two sweeps the last one is a 360 back sweep.

It goes like this.
Your in a fighting stance, left foot forward.
You drop into a low stance with your weight over your left foot.
You then sweep your right leg around 180°. This is the Iron Broom part.
You then transfer your weight to your right foot, still in the low stance.
Then you sweep your left foot around 360° so you end up in the same right foot forward stance. This is the Tiger tail part.

Then you do the same thing from the opposite stance. Starting with your right foot forward.

learning the mechanics took a little time but I think it's pretty cool.

xcakid
04-05-2007, 08:44 AM
I do it pretty well with the left leg, but for some reason, on my right leg my rotation is a bit off.

Judge Pen
04-05-2007, 11:36 AM
We used to do what my sifu called Iron Broom, Tiger tail. It's two sweeps the last one is a 360 back sweep.

It goes like this.
Then you sweep your left foot around 360° so you end up in the same right foot forward stance. This is the Tiger tail part.

Then you do the same thing from the opposite stance. Starting with your right foot forward.

Interesting. In the 2nd book of Hua, we have a 540 degree backsweep. In our "Black Tiger Rips the Heart" form we have a similar sequence to the one you describe. We do a low 180 deg. front sweep with our right leg (the same as your Iron Broom), we follow it up with a low 180 deg. left leg front sweep, and then we do a 180 deg. right leg back sweep and then another 180 deg. left leg low front sweep. It's a nice little sequence, but it takes some practice to generate any power on the front sweeps.

Crushing Fist
04-05-2007, 12:02 PM
I've always thought that the 360 backsweep followed by the jump spin outside crescent was particularly cool

At least when Lei Wulong does it in Tekken :D

I don't think I make it look as good as he does.

PangQuan
04-05-2007, 12:27 PM
word.

360 backsweep followed by a 360 frontsweep followed by jumping outside crescent to butterfly kick.

thats a really really fun combo to work on.

what application are you using for the arms? are you using them with momentum from the waist twist for follow through, or are they otherwise occupied?

for sure putting them on the floor is waaayyy easier.

Judge Pen
04-05-2007, 12:59 PM
what application are you using for the arms? are you using them with momentum from the waist twist for follow through, or are they otherwise occupied?

In one of the books of hua, we start the sweep from a left leg bow stancewith a cross-arm block in front. The arms then pull down and circle has you throw the sweep. My application for that is pulling down on your opponent (arms, head, shirt whatever you can grab after the block) while you drop your weight into the sweep. The sweep works best if you are in close to your opponent, imo.

Pk_StyLeZ
04-05-2007, 01:05 PM
720 back sweep
been there
done that
practice make perfect =)
keep trying buddy u will make it

PangQuan
04-05-2007, 02:34 PM
In one of the books of hua, we start the sweep from a left leg bow stancewith a cross-arm block in front. The arms then pull down and circle has you throw the sweep. My application for that is pulling down on your opponent (arms, head, shirt whatever you can grab after the block) while you drop your weight into the sweep. The sweep works best if you are in close to your opponent, imo.

nice

extra words are needed

Shaolinlueb
04-05-2007, 08:45 PM
720 back sweep
been there
done that
practice make perfect =)
keep trying buddy u will make it

pwnage on the backweep

i get 360 and thats it. ;)

Judge Pen
04-06-2007, 06:29 AM
pwnage on the backweep

i get 360 and thats it. ;)

I couldn't imagine a 720. My 540 is really weak.

Royal Dragon
04-06-2007, 06:42 AM
360's, maybe 368-1/2 at best here......

Royal Dragon
04-06-2007, 06:43 AM
When I was younger....

zhangxihuan
04-06-2007, 07:17 AM
word.

360 backsweep followed by a 360 frontsweep followed by jumping outside crescent to butterfly kick.

thats a really really fun combo to work on.

well immediately when you are done you do a palm strike and a blocking hook hand..
i think my shifu might be preparing us for a longer spin, maybe 720? since there is no way he'd want us to use hands on that beast...

David Jamieson
04-06-2007, 11:48 AM
first time i did it was in bsl moi fa set. keep practicing, you'll get it.

monkeyfoot
04-06-2007, 03:25 PM
My 2c, its all in the hips/torso....gotta be like a wound up spring

anyway some vids I found

same combo as someone mentioned above
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0kkXp7WXUg

great front sweep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPY5PUNDmaA

SevenStar
04-12-2007, 01:26 PM

It goes like this.

We did that drill also.

SevenStar
04-12-2007, 01:31 PM
I couldn't imagine a 720. My 540 is really weak.

combatively, why would you want to do either of those?

Pk_StyLeZ
04-12-2007, 09:44 PM
combatively, why would you want to do either of those?

not for combat
but good to train speed, balance and etc

GeneChing
04-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Train with targets. For weaker or beginning students, you can set up something soft, like a striking pad (http://www.martialartsmart.net/vinthaisstri.html). That's super easy to hit and beginners will have fun knocking them down like bowling pins and blasting them across the room. Then progress to something a little more substantial, like a padded stick (http://www.martialartsmart.net/3507.html)with its point pressed into the ground by a training partner. This can progress to posts set in the ground, or breaking sticks, or whatever.

Too many forms people train sweeps without ever training the impact. You can always tell the difference in their execution. The delivery of the forms only sweeps can be smooth and pretty, yet lack the focus point. Of course, this begs the question of the 720 now, doesn't it? ;)

PangQuan
04-13-2007, 09:53 AM
fully. when i was first taught to sweep i had to sweep a piece of wood. over and over and over and over. man i thought my leg was going to break. BUT i built my sweep foundation on actual resistance.

ive seen to many people try a sweep and not really understand whats going to happen when they hit someone who is rooted.

GeneChing
04-13-2007, 10:12 AM
Didn't that happen to Kip Dynamite when he faced Rex? ;)

PangQuan
04-13-2007, 10:16 AM
huh? :confused:

PangQuan
04-13-2007, 10:17 AM
is this one of those rex kwan do things?

what is rex kwan do, i always hear about this thing but is it a real place or something?

SevenStar
04-13-2007, 11:00 AM
you haven't seen napoleon dynamite?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nfr4-J3fio&mode=related&search=

PangQuan
04-13-2007, 11:01 AM
lol i did a google on kip dynamite vs rex

i found this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nfr4-J3fio

thats some pretty funny stuff. i think somewhere along the lines i missed out on this whole rex kwon do thing. ive got some catching up to do.