PDA

View Full Version : Bjd Sticking?

drleungjohn
04-08-2007, 08:45 PM
In my travels,the subject of a sticking drill with the BJD come up-I have never seen this-can anybody shed some light on this-I believe Moy Yat version has it but have never seen it

Yes,I know-"How do you stick with a knife?"

Liddel
04-09-2007, 08:39 PM
In my travels,the subject of a sticking drill with the BJD come up-I have never seen this-can anybody shed some light on this-I believe Moy Yat version has it but have never seen it

Just like the LDB the BJD does have sticking drills which then lend themselves towards free sparring with your weapon of choice.

The BJD specifically where i train introduces a set co operative drill, where one person chops towards another, whom then blocks with Bong Do and immediatly retaliates with a chop of thier own (same side) and the opposition applies Bong Do and it continues back and forward as each person defends and attacks in turn.
Stepping and turning of the horse is crutial.

After a short time other actions are introduced, the attack changes from a chop to a stab and then the defending person requires another blocking action, Tan Do guarn do etc etc.

Its very similar to Chi Sao in the respect it begins with three core actions in a co operative mannor, actions are then added, it becomes more and more spontanious and un co operative as you get more comfortable with applying the actions.

The first section of the BJD (for us) is related to an opponent with a pole or long weapon, so we also do drills where a LDB user attacks with the pole and we practice/spar against that also. Most of the actions in 'Chi Do' (sword vs sword) come from the second half of our BJD form.

Yes,I know-"How do you stick with a knife?"

:p We actually make our own BJD out of hardwood ( well sifu made a few pairs for the guys, i had to make my own ! ) we use straight hooks with 90 angles for covering the finger side (facing down) and a clothes hook on the outside edge (facing up) for stopping the opponents weapon, both are available from any hardware store.

May sound a little strange to some but ive had my fair share of injured elbows, wrists and fingers from sparring and id hate to think what it would be like with real BJD's :eek:

My Sifu Learnt the LDB from his Sifu, Lok Yiu, Gm Ip wouldnt let him learn 2 weapons, but he also was good friends with WSL, so he got his BJD from WSL.

I would expect someone from that line would have Chi Do but ive had trouble finding it also.

drleungjohn
04-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Yes-we use similar give and take drills also- I was just under a misconception-maybe not-that the Chi Do was more from a contact point to start,like Chi Gwun--let's see if anybody else adds to this--

We train-
Pole vs double BJD
Single stick and Double stick vs BJD
Blade weapon(Broadsword,Gim,etc) vs BJD
Single Knife vs BJD

Our basic solo drills involve-
Stabbing
Chopping
Slicing
Tan
Bong
Pak/Fook