PDA

View Full Version : Bak Hsing CLF Weapons Fighting

Satori Science
04-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Heres some clips of my weapons fights @ the Tiger Balms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi6a4jGAi8Q

To my understanding, a fighiting single ended pole is the traditional weapon of the Bak Hsing Fut Gar style. It is actually one of the four original forms of Bak Hsing CLF. My Sifu has lots of fascinating stories that his Sifu's father (a freind and contemporary of Grand Elder Lun Chee) told him about masters fighting their poles in Guanzhong at the turn of the century.

Sifu taught me that, "Traditionally if you challenged another master and he beat you, you could challenge him again with single ended pole and if you won you were considered equals. So you see how important that pole was."

CLFNole
04-09-2007, 10:46 AM
I thought one of the original buk sing forms was sheung gup dahn tow kwun, which would be single & double end staff, is this not the case? Albeit it is done with a single head staff just not one as long as a pure single-head staff.

Those staff sparring staffs are way to flexible and will not allow you to do proper single head techniques. Although you have the reach since it bends and gives so much it seems it would make it difficult to use.

Satori Science
04-09-2007, 10:55 AM
I'll ask Sifu, thats a great question!

At this point the single pole is what my sifu emphasises as our traditional pole. In our more advanced single headed pole routines we use double ended tecniques, like you said with the single headed set up. But we also have a seperate form that is entirely eyebrow height staff using double sided movemnts that moves compeletly different.

I practice on my spear and broadsword more than pole, so I've only actually memorized one of the forms, the most basic fighting pole that we teach. (I know the eyebrow height staff as well I guess) and in my pattern their are only single head movements.

Satori Science
04-09-2007, 11:04 AM
I found the pole quite easy to use and fun actually.

The rules are set up from the point of veiw that if we used heaveir weapon we would injuir each other. So the judges are supposed to access points keeping in mind the diffuculty of blocking with a soft weapon. I found the reach and our "running horse" a serious advantage over the kali stick fighters. my first two fights both ended with 4 or 5 points spreads.

If you want to know about fighting with heavy weapons ask SiHing nospam, or my SiHing Russel who started the weapons fighting in Saskatchewan 25 years ago before their were rules.

CLFNole
04-09-2007, 12:07 PM
It just seems to me because the pole is so flexible and is not sturdy that you couldn't use proper dahn tow kwun techniques. I work with the long pole for many years and practice different techniques that would be difficult to do with something that gives so much. Might be easier to come up with a foam 3 section staff for something like that.

Back to the original point, most southern styles the single-head pole is the main focus and we all have sheung tow kwun forms as well but southern is well known for the long single head staff (rat tail staff) whereas as northern is more known for its spear play.

shuaichiao
04-09-2007, 01:08 PM
That staff looked like it was designed to be used as a kwan dao or pudao since one end was a different color, maybe to show where the bladed area was.

hskwarrior
04-09-2007, 01:40 PM
regardless of sets, i think you did pretty well, and had better control over your weapon than the others. not bad. i'd like to see more of that in tournaments in the future.

good job

nospam
04-10-2007, 10:13 AM
According to Xie Si Fai, A Fourth Generation practitioner of Bak Hsing Choy Lee Fut:

Tam Sam learned the Pacqua (Bakwa) stick. It is well known fact in the world of martial arts that Tam Sam exerted his efforts with the gun style.

Good video. Very fun to watch. ;)

nospam :cool:

CLFNole
04-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Baat kwa kwun was very popular amongst southern masters back in the day. I believe it was more of a style of poling rather than a particular set which would have the same name today.