PDA

View Full Version : Learning Hsing-I Slowly in NYC?

Sung
04-09-2007, 12:49 PM
greetings. been a long time since i've been here.

i was wondering if anyone knew of a hsing-i school/teacher in the nyc area who teaches his curriculum rather slowly (ie - maybe one fist a year or longer).

thanks!

cjurakpt
04-09-2007, 05:55 PM
greetings. been a long time since i've been here.

i was wondering if anyone knew of a hsing-i school/teacher in the nyc area who teaches his curriculum rather slowly (ie - maybe one fist a year or longer).

thanks!

if you're into slow and painful, try to find a student of the late Master B P Chan - he was notorious for doing stuff like teaching one ba gua palm per year (but supposedly only to the students he really liked - the rest got it all very fast...); maybe some of them are carrying on in his tradition...

Sung
04-10-2007, 08:40 AM
will do, thank you.

cjurakpt
04-11-2007, 12:48 PM
just to add, it may be hard to find one of them - there are certainly a few teaching publically, but the ones that I was fortunate enough to come into contact with were in-the-door and kinda low key, to say the least...even those guys I only knew by first name (really), and I couldn't tell you at all where any of them might be at this point (it was 10+ years ago I was there)

but good luck, keep looking, "when the stuent is ready, the teaher appears" and all that, right?

Rockwood
04-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Frank Allen at the Wu Tang PCA in the Lower East Side could teach you the Xing Yi of BP Chan. He is at wutangpca.com.

-Jess O

Sung
04-12-2007, 10:44 AM
cjurakpt - i couldn't agree more about the teacher appearing when the student is ready. i'll just have to stay focused and keep my intention clear.

Rockwood - i'll definitely look into the Wu Tang Center as well, thank you.

I've also learned of another of BP Chan's students, Rudy Curry, who is also in the area but whether it's BP Chan's Hsing-Yi that I learn isn't as important to me as how I learn.

Thanks again.

cjurakpt
04-12-2007, 11:19 AM
yes, Frank Allen has been teaching publically for a long time, and he did study many years ago with BP Chan; I have never met him personally, I have only heard about him indirectly;

Rudy Curry is a former student of my current tai chi teacher; my sifu tells me that he is a very good fighter, and his hsing yi is from B P Chan as well;

Walter Joyce
04-13-2007, 07:17 AM
yes, Frank Allen has been teaching publically for a long time, and he did study many years ago with BP Chan; I have never met him personally, I have only heard about him indirectly;

Rudy Curry is a former student of my current tai chi teacher; my sifu tells me that he is a very good fighter, and his hsing yi is from B P Chan as well;

If I remember corectly, Frank studied quite a bit with BK Frantzis.

Sung
04-16-2007, 10:00 AM
so far as i know

frank allen's ba gua= bk frantzis

doug maverick
04-18-2007, 09:29 AM
it doesn't matter if the teacher teach's fast or slow when it comes to the fist alll that matters in xing yi is santi and nei kung. with out they two factors you could practice xing yi at one fist every five years and still be no good. santi helps build you internally and nei kung helps prepare you physically to learn the fist and it give you the power you need to execute them right. thats how i learned first standing and nei kung then fist add so forth. i doubt if your gonna find a teacher who teach's super slow but. if you want to be good just practice standing. one of the best teachers in nyc is probably li tai liang and david bond chan.

Sung
04-20-2007, 06:32 AM
good lookin doug. i appreciate the info and will keep it in mind.

doug maverick
04-24-2007, 12:18 PM
my sifu wasn't a teacher by trade(he was a very well off engineer) and thanks to a mutual friendship i was ably to train with him till he moved to brazil, for two and a half years. the first years we focused on santi and nei gung then after the first year we began the fist i only learned the five fist, i never learned the linking fist nore the animals, cause my sifu got a very good job offer in brazil. been thinking about going to a school to finish up(sometimes its hard because when you learn the five fist and how to apply them you feel like you don't need the rest) or i was thinking about learning bagua and just have my five fist and bagua.

Sung
04-25-2007, 10:20 AM
it makes sense to learn that way. besides, with the foundational training you've done, it seems learning the linking set and the other animal forms won't be a problem as the foundation is strong. who did your teacher study under if i may ask?

cjurakpt
04-25-2007, 11:18 AM
my sifu wasn't a teacher by trade(he was a very well off engineer) and thanks to a mutual friendship i was ably to train with him till he moved to brazil, for two and a half years. the first years we focused on santi and nei gung then after the first year we began the fist i only learned the five fist, i never learned the linking fist nore the animals, cause my sifu got a very good job offer in brazil. been thinking about going to a school to finish up(sometimes its hard because when you learn the five fist and how to apply them you feel like you don't need the rest) or i was thinking about learning bagua and just have my five fist and bagua.

only one question: what is stopping you from heading down to Brazil for a month to study?

doug maverick
04-25-2007, 06:08 PM
dude if i had the time to go to brazil i would. actually i've been there a few times and had some visits with him, where i watched him do some variations of the dragon and tiger(even a combine set of the two which looked pretty cool) but i don't have the time to go to brazil and i doubt if he has the time to teach me. as for his teachers i know he trained either with wang ji wu or some of his students and later with wang shu chin in taiwan and japan(where he went to collage) he showed me many defferent changes with each set some match wang shu chin some match wang ji wu. mainly i think his nei gung comes from wang ji wu and his fist are a mixture of both but i think he had yet another sifu cause some of his stuff doesn't match either wangs.

Urbanfist14
04-29-2007, 09:55 AM
This answer may be coming a bit late but I haven't post in this forum for quite a while. I recieved instruction from Sifu Rudy Curry and I can say his teachings are solid and very well versed with the internal arts in general. His classes are quite long and information packed. Each of his students learn at their stage and at the same time. Its quite an experience. Hope this help and good luck in your studies.

With respects,
Stan

Sung
04-30-2007, 09:55 AM
urbanfist14...thank you...his name has come up in searches i've done and i'd like to check him out as well.

i found one page that shows he has a class in east elmhurst which isn't far at all.

cjurakpt
04-30-2007, 01:22 PM
it's interesting - both Sifus Allen (directly as well as through B.K. Frantzis) and Curry spent a significant amount of time with B.P. Chan (and both do credit him accordingly) - not taking away from their own achievements / abilities, just showing how good quality tends to come through...

phoenixdog
05-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Learning slow and practicing slow are two different things. Seek out Di Guoyong if you want to learn Xingi Quan,otherwise waste your time.

chud
05-16-2007, 06:12 PM
If I was in NY I would probably try to study with James Montalbano at Kenny Gong's old school.

doug maverick
05-17-2007, 08:37 AM
Learning slow and practicing slow are two different things. Seek out Di Guoyong if you want to learn Xingi Quan,otherwise waste your time.

doesn't he live in beijing? he's looking for someone in new york. and he won't be wasting his time with other teachers.

Three Harmonies
05-17-2007, 09:37 AM
Di Guo yang is hardly the ONLY good teacher of Xing Yi.
Jake :cool:

Nick Forrer
05-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Have heard many good things about David Bond Chan (Chan Bong). He is very big on basics and standing properly (e.g. eagle, bear posture etc. plus single palm change in bagua etc.)

phoenixdog
05-17-2007, 05:59 PM
No disrespect meant to other teachers of hsing i.

Sung
05-21-2007, 01:02 PM
well, given my propensity to gain the best understanding of whether a particular something has what i'm looking for by tasting it for a period of time, i checked out a class last week taught by steve arboleda and will be studying with him for at least the near future so's to develop a good taste to judge from.

from our conversation and from what i observed, learning is done pretty slowly, with what seems to be little or less importance placed on quantity of material/forms.

i could be wrong but time will tell. :)

i had a nice little list with a few names on it....james montalbano, yang fukui, rudy curry, david bond chan, and wang rengang. but i've never felt intellectual observation alone to be a good decider in choosing a new shifu in itself, so off i go...tonight's my first class. they do these body strengthening exercises that look like they are going to leave me needing a stretcher and 2 aleve after class. yay! :D

phoenixdog...i enjoy your enthusiasum for Di Guo Yang...but cannot seem to find any info on his whereabouts in NYC.

Three Harmonies
05-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Thats because Di lives in China.

Sung
05-22-2007, 01:55 PM
ah yes. that would make studying with him rather challenging indeed.

thanks 3H!

Three Harmonies
05-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Suppose it depends on your private jet situation, but it may put a dent in your training. ;)
Jake :)

Sung
05-23-2007, 07:38 AM
yeah...warren buffet isn't returning my calls so...

jake i checked out your site.
noticed that you list sun style TJ.
is there anyone is the nyc area teaching this that you know of?

Three Harmonies
05-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Not that I know of. Not sure why Sun Taiji is not more popular in the US, but only a handful of people doing the traditional form. No one I know of is in NYC. Tim or I would be happy to come out and do a seminar though if you wish:D :)

Cheers

Sam Mallone
05-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Try David Bond Chan in NYC.

PM me for his contact info. It would be inappropriate to post his phone # on the internet message board.

He gives close attention to detail.

Sung
05-25-2007, 08:56 AM
thanks bro.
i'm gonna give what im currently doing around 6 months first and see how i feel after that.
if i'm happy i'm sticking, if i'm not i'm spltting.

jake - if i had the loot, i'd consider. :rolleyes:

Three Harmonies
05-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Thats why you put on a seminar and have others pay for your training;):D
Cheers