PDA

View Full Version : TCM doctor?

CLF-LP-WARRIOR
04-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Is there anybody here that practices TCM ?

herb ox
04-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Many of the folks that frequent this forum are TCM practitioners in varying degrees. Some have traditional background, others as a hobby, while still others are practicing acupuncturists and herbalists. We'll do our best to answer your questions - bear in mind, however, that this forum is not for the dispensing of medical advice. However, open discussion of such ideas is encouraged.

Welcome to the KFTCM Forum!

herb ox

Po Chi Lam
04-09-2007, 09:50 PM
I will graduate from TCM school in two weeks. Any questions?

CLF-LP-WARRIOR
04-09-2007, 11:55 PM
I've been going to my new doctor for quite sometime, but his directions to make the formula is rather diffrent than from my other docs. He told me to use 6 cups and simmer it down to 2 and drink one in the morning and one in the evening... for all the herbal formulas he's prescribed. Another thing.. I've been using a metal pot to boil all my formulas for the past 3 months, I've just been informed not to do that. Why exactly is this reason?

RonH
04-10-2007, 05:44 AM
There are some that are concerned that tiny bits of the metal will eventually wear off and get into the mixture, kinda like when you reuse a plastic bottle for drinking water from will eventually start to break off bits of plastic, making you drink it. They're worried about toxicity from metal ingestion, which is sensical.

There are benefits from the vibrations of certain metals and other noninggestible things for health, strength, etc. So, to satisfy fears of metal toxicity, keeping the metal nearby so that the frequencies carried off of the metal by way of the EM signature it constantly emits, so that the vibrations come in contact with the vibrations of the herbal formula and get coded into the substance, like when information is coded into visible light after the photonic energy strikes an object (such as a one inch steel cube) before reaching our eyes...that can be one way to get the benefit of combining the metal with the herbal mixture.

herb ox
04-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Most of my esteemed instructors tell me the metal pot idea is old and attributed to poorly produced metal-ware in China containing tin, lead or other poisonous metals, and you can use stainless steel pots nowadays. However, certain herb formulae have herbs that could react with the metallic pot, although most are just fine. Personally, I don't like metal and find ceramic to be much more conducive to long boil times.

As for the 6 cups to 2 cups ratio, this will vary depending on the practicioner and the formula. There are no hard-fast rules in TCM other than not needling the nipple (although I bet you could find a reason to do so... and would be acceptable as such). Your practicioner likely adjusts the quantities of the herbs in the formula to account for the water ratio. 6-2 is good and strong.

To quote Feng Laoshi, "Bitter herbs better your health"

peace

herb ox

Po Chi Lam
04-13-2007, 04:09 PM
There is a traditional thought that some of the herbs especially Ginseng can interact with metal pots. A second reason may be the herbalist wants you to use the ceramic double boiler method. If precious herbs are used, boiling them normally may raise their temperature too high and affect the decoction.

As for the amount of water, I generally recommend starting with the herbs and 4 cups of water, bring it to a boil and let them simmer for about 30 minutes until 2 cups are left. However, If there are minerals in the formula they have to be cooked at least 30 minutes prior to putting the other herbs in. In this case starting with 6 cups would be advisable. Either way it shouldn't make too much difference, just a different opinion.