PDA

View Full Version : Hsin-I 's Dragon Stance

Jin
04-02-2001, 07:01 PM
Hi there
How do you fight a grappler using Hsing-I's dragon stance?..
Take care ;)

Jin
04-02-2001, 11:29 PM
hey you cow..whutta heck? i was just wondering how can you fight a grappler using dragon stance since it seems too awkward...man..why you like bashing people up!! grrrrr!!!! if you call me stupid..well..i admit that i'm.....but don't you have anything better to say bro?and tell me who you are..dang it!

peace out

Monkey
04-03-2001, 12:01 AM
You asked..
how do you fight a grappler with the dragon stance?
Well, you don't.
Dragon is designed for blocking/grabbing a strike to the upper body/head and at the same time kicking and buckling or breaking the opponents knee. You follow that up with breaking the opponents elbow or dislocating their shoulder.

Jin
04-03-2001, 01:36 AM
thank you :cool:

Buddy
04-03-2001, 01:42 AM
Monkey,
That is only a very basic application. Actually dragon is used against grappling.
Buddy

Jin
04-03-2001, 03:05 AM
hi there
could you please explain more Buddy?
take care :D

les paul
04-04-2001, 04:28 PM
To add to the information posted above, I use the dragon stance to take away the "grappling shoot." When you drop down into the stance, you take away your hips, it also helps when you punch him or double palm strike as he atempts to grab your waist or legs in the head or shoulder area. When you get good at it, what usally happens is he falls in front of you(because his head is so far in front of his body(i.e. he's diving for you) then if your me you go for a gillitein choke hold)while he's on the ground face down in front of you. In the streets I advise to get up and power stomp the mother and not grapple with him. he's probably got some homies near by or a knife in his pocket (facts grapplers seem to forget about)

Such is the beauty of Xingyiquan

Jin
04-04-2001, 06:46 PM
Heh hehe...thanx a bunch...that was kool!!

take care
Jin

Monkey
04-04-2001, 09:50 PM
Dcm,Spanky
I'm not sure I get what yur saying. Are you saying that dropping down into a dragon in response to a wrestlers shoot will work ? I don't see how anyone could be quick enough to do that. Could you please explain.

les paul
04-05-2001, 02:49 AM
I don't know your skill level in Xingyiquan, so if I sound redundent or soud like a "I know it all" I apologize. Hopefully I this will help

You should be able drop immediatly and rise as quick as you droped. Your root should be strong enouph that someone can push dirrectly on your shoulders (from the position your facing) and you should be able to resist easly going backwards. I train mt students to Dragon walk accross a soccer field. (not comming up in the drilling motion but staying in the sicsor stance) you will get yor root sooner or later. Grappler's have a hard time with it[the dragon stance](once I had a guy go flying over my back! at the time I was in a Judo/Aikido dojo, cross training)

It's also a great drop and strike to the groin area!!!! From the Dragon stance you should be able to launch kicks that should swing out like a low horizontal whirlwind kick, designed to hit the sides of the knees (i.e Dragon Tail kicks). From the Dragon stance you should be able to roll on your back, then roll forward to stand up with-out using your hands. When you roll on your back you should be able to kick up into your opponet who possibly could be standing over you etc... Their is also a great sacrifice throw from from the ground Dragon position. Don't forget to focus on the aspects of the Air Dragon (i.e the applications of the jumping/drilling etc, but you should always focus on the ground dragon stance. It was designed for defense against ground fighters.

I once had a discussion with Allen Pittman about the Dragon Form. He said the Chinese got around alot and the form was probally designed to fight the Mongals etc..who were adept at ground fighting. This really makes sense because if you think about it the Dragon stance itself has a lot of defense against the art of getting grappled itself, not to much offense like ground chin-na, but cool ways of keeping from getting draged to the ground, where spearmen would pick you off in a large melee.

Hope this helps..

Kevin Wallbridge
04-05-2001, 07:12 AM
Question, in the title you ask about Hsin-Yi (Xinyi Liuhe Quan) not Hsing-Yi (Xingyi Quan). Were you asking specifically about Xinyi? Because if you were it looks and is trained nothing like the 5 Element/12 Animal dragon, in fact its a whole range of movements from large to small frame and upper to lower basin.

"The heart of the study of boxing is to have natural instinct resemble the dragon" Wang Xiangzai

les paul
04-05-2001, 02:47 PM
I saw the words "Dragon stance" and "Hsin-I" and figured they were talking about the standard Hebei Xingyiquan. Ahh that's what I get for assuming. There are so many Xingyi sub-branches like "Hsin" or Yi Quan that I know little or nothing about.

Jin
04-05-2001, 07:04 PM
I Meant Hsing-I

Take care

jin :)

doug maverick
04-08-2001, 08:01 PM
ummm........ isn't the dragon posture a grappling move i mean you kick grap then pull down simple or is it, bum bum bum

les paul
04-09-2001, 10:04 PM
Your seeing the outer applications.

look deeper