PDA

View Full Version : African martial arts

Motion
04-13-2001, 07:53 PM
African Arts (http://www.motherofhumanity.com/Nijart%20Webs/nuba_wrestling1.htm)

JerryLove
04-14-2001, 01:47 AM
Racist crap written by someone placing way to much faith in comic books.

No comment on the supposed art.

8stepsifu
04-14-2001, 03:12 AM
I'll second that, Its horsecrap. Road apples galore. They managed to combine karate, christ, and pankration BECAUSE OF THREE FRIGGIN LETTERS that they have in common.

Let me try.

Camel, Cammomile tea, and Camera.

Obviously camels hold water. Cammomile tea is a way of drinking water and so the tea (holds water) and a camera hold onto something dear. Water is precious and therefor very dear to human life, so obviously cameras came from camels. :rolleyes:

don't worry be happy

Je Lei Sifu
04-14-2001, 08:50 AM
What is so racist about this particular site? Not once have I seen on this site, someone making comments of superiority. The author only stated what he believes is true, not only that, but there are several publications that do agree with what is written on this site. Such as the origins of the Greek Gods, which can be found in a book called the Black Athena, which I might add was written by a caucasian man. As far as the similiarities in the meaning of karate and what have you, that is neither here nor there.

What is written on this site is no more racist than the Chinese stating that all martial arts come from shaolin, or that the greeks have the oldest written records of martial arts.

What this author writes could very well be true, since it is a known fact that Africa is the cradle of life, it is the birth place of humanity, science, math, law, universities and civilization. So take a look around and tell me what the aboriginal people of Africa look like, and then tell me why is it not known or taught in the American school system, about the contributions that Africa and it's people have given to society. Then the word RACISM, becomes legitimate.

What I thought to be the downside of the site, is that fact that there were no pictures on this particular style and that there was no mention of what this particular art's philosphy or techniques were. Also,the author concentrated to much on the origins of martial arts instead of the origins of Nuba Wrestling.

As mentioned before, this site was not racist at all. Racism takes more than someone's thoughts or beliefs. In order for racism to be effective, it needs to be funded financially. Without the finacial backing, racism would not be effective at all. But when you have large corporations or governments who tell the masses, through media or propaganda, that this particular race of people or (fill in the stereotype), then it becomes effective even though the masses have never crossed or came into contact with said race. Now take me, someone without the financial backing, I do not have the means of being racist against anyone. However, I can change the thinking of some who are around me and say that this race, is (fill in the stereotype). Now what might happen, is that my friends may agree with me and take up there on ideas about said race. This is called prejudice, which stems from the words pre and judge. So therefore, I could only be prejudice.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu :cool:

The Southern Fist Subdues The Fierce Mountain Tiger

UberShaman
04-14-2001, 04:15 PM
In my opinion this afrocentricity is just as racist as the european view. There was never a vast conspiracy to cover up black history. Africans kept a verbal record of there history that was handed down, and this is why most was lost. I dont believe that the view all martial arts came from shaolin is racist since that story begins with an indian starting it all.
ALL Racism is wrong..

Ky-Fi
04-14-2001, 05:59 PM
I don't think that theory could stand up to much serious academic scrutiny. It's one thing to say that ancient Africans had developed high levels of civilization, art, mathematics, etc.----I find that plausible. But it's a wild leap to then conclude that other races couldn't have come up with similar things independantly, so therefore Africa was the ORIGIN of every aspect of human culture and accomplishment.

Also, I'm quite certain that an incredible small percentage of actual history has survived in the form of writings and artifacts---the truth is when you try go back into antiquity, there just aren't many pieces of the puzzle available, and a lot of these theories are just wild conjcture, or attempts to advance other agendas.

lordabu
04-14-2001, 08:50 PM
oh screw you,

africa may be the birth place of civilisation.

BUT

India was the birthplace of numbers, maths, science. The oldest known university lies in India and origin of CMA

so screw you......

Lordabu

old jong
04-14-2001, 09:12 PM
What about the Mayas,the ancient Greek,the Incas,the Huns,the Romans,the Celts,the Vikings,the Maurish,the Slavics,the Amerindians,the Goths,the Innus,the Philistines,the....You get the idea?... :rolleyes:

C'est la vie!

Siu Lung
04-14-2001, 09:29 PM
Indeed, a very interesting post. While many of this guy's assertations seems logical, most require swallowing with a grain or two of salt. It is very interesting, however, that the Buddha and Bodhidharma were black. Any Buddhist scholar cannot deny that MANY painted renderings, textual scripts, and sculpture portray these men with very "negroid" characteristics. I am Chinese and since childhood I could never figure out why all the temples have sculptures and paintings of African-looking men with large lips and noses, but wearing Chinese robes. The RZA noticed this on his trip to Wudang and Shaolin too. Anyway, maybe someone else has an explanation as to why there are black statues in the Buddhist (and Taoist) temples. Especially Bodhidharma.

**Siu Lung

lordabu
04-14-2001, 10:35 PM
siu:

yes the boddhidharma and buddha might have been black...... but remember the 'Dravidians' the civilisation that formed india or otherwise known as the 'indus civilisation' were black people and are still black today. ironically they say the darkest people in the world are some of the dravidian people. literally these people are black not the darkish brown of 'negroes'

remember india has mainly four different trpe of races..... the dravidians (pure indians) , indo-aryans, the arabs (whatever they are), and the chinese/indo-aryan race (this race include the people up north who were indo-aryans mixed with the chinese race -whatever that is).

other people claim that boddhidharma was a blue eyed aryan..... he was of 'indo-aryan' blood...read my post on 8stepsifus post "China the originality of all martial arts' i have posted something there explaining how indo-aryans came to exist.

boddhi was just showing both sides of his race....

or maybe he was black BUT indian black...?!

buddha is likely to be more 'pure' than the boddhidharma because as time went on fusion of the two races of aryans and dravidians continued...and buddha was much earlier in civilisation....though this doesnt have to be true..

Lordabu

JerryLove
04-14-2001, 10:41 PM
"What is so racist about this particular site?"

Umm..."Black people all over the world study Kung-Fu" is the beginning of a paragraph on why people should drop the arts of foreign races and study their own...

"The entire scope of the African origins of the martial arts" Could just be a factual error, but feels rather Africentric in light of the tone of the site.

Honestly, I stopped reading at this point. Since his whole issue seemed to be on the accomplishments of Africans from the perspective of how they were earlier/better than other races. He had already set such a racist tone, I had/have no further interest.

And there are african fighting arts that interest me.

abu - "India was the birthplace of numbers, maths, science."

Same to you buddy. And there is an excellent case that the oldest martial arts and math are in the Middle East and northern Africa, just from the spread of ****Erectus and his kin and the fact that they practiced religion, counted, and had combat art.

Your Inda-centric racisim is well known and I for one am tired of it. Move back there and I'll talk to you in a decade (if Neumonic Plague hasn't killed you)

rogue
04-15-2001, 06:14 AM
All I know is that Foxxy Brown rocked!

http://www.fightingarts.com/magazine/graphics/goju-ryu08.jpg

Black Jack II
04-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Here is a interesting site on what it states as authentic African/Bantu martial arts, what is interesting is the section on how to spot fraud African martial arts.

If you read that section there are some clips on the some of there movements, some clips on what they call the african throw down physical challenge on there conditioning workout, and a tad bit of racism towards whitey if you read between the lines.

I have a scratch that says these cats may not want to teach the h@nkey.

http://www.africanthrowdown.homestead.com/

golden arhat
04-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Women
Women represent among other concepts, coyness and absorption. The women’s part of the Circular Curriculum involves displays of beauty and sexuality that are designed to arouse Ashe within the Man thereby transforming him into the Fighter. Before the fight, the women perform and afterwards they may choose a Fighter who had suitably impressed them. This is the perfect metaphor for male/female attraction.

Men
Men represent among other concepts, advancing or penetrating force and desire. man’s part of the Circular Curriculum involves displays of strength, prowess and sexuality. He may pursue the women symbolically as they ‘dance’ together prior to him fighting.

seems a bit primitive no ?

Black Jack II
04-10-2007, 10:02 AM

In a way some of that viewpoint does but it also seems honest.

BruceSteveRoy
04-10-2007, 10:03 AM

perhaps. but how far is it removed from "civilized" behavior once you remove the social trappings?

golden arhat
04-10-2007, 10:07 AM
perhaps. but how far is it removed from "civilized" behavior once you remove the social trappings?

yeah but the difference is we are trying to change that

femminism etc

BruceSteveRoy
04-10-2007, 10:19 AM
be that as it may. but every culture and society evolves and develops in its own way and in its own time adn trying to assign values of one culture to another is responsible for a great deal of the problems that exist int he world at present. now granted it is a nice idea to think the whoel world should be on the same page in regards to social reform and what not but the truth is by attributing our social and behavioral norms to another culture strips that culture of its sense of self. this leads to resentment from them and creates an underlying hostility (or in a number of cases not so underlying). not unlike the feeligns the african people tend to have towards the imperial powers that initially took their land and subjegated them.

i understand what you are saying is by no means taking anything to this extreme but its not too far from the beginning of the line of thought that creates this kind of thing.

i like run on sentences they are fun.

bodhitree
04-10-2007, 10:22 AM
It starred Bruce Lee as a screaming, invincible Shaolin monk

African American Men’s’ minds as being Karate or Kung Fu. This meant primarily kicking, chopping and yelling while being dressed up in pajama- like outfits.

Since the seekers of empowerment could not discern Kung Fu movement in Africa, they sadly dismissed African combative methods as incomplete, unsophisticated, inadequate or simply not existing.

It is terrible irony that the very Black Men who turned to Africa seeking an identity, failed to see its’ rich, magnificent institutions due to the very same white supremacy that they were fighting.

Sounds like a racist to me. It's okay to talk about how "white supremacy" destroyed everything but label Asian martial arts practitioners as "screaming pajama-wearers"

SevenStar
04-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Here is a interesting site on what it states as authentic African/Bantu martial arts, what is interesting is the section on how to spot fraud African martial arts.

If you read that section there are some clips on the some of there movements, some clips on what they call the african throw down physical challenge on there conditioning workout, and a tad bit of racism towards whitey if you read between the lines.

I have a scratch that says these cats may not want to teach the h@nkey.

http://www.africanthrowdown.homestead.com/

remember some years back, the acquaintance I mentioned who was a guro in bukti negara silat? He is similar. He was also into capoeira and various african arts. He once told me that he would never teach them to a caucassian.

Black Jack II
04-10-2007, 10:30 AM
femminism etc

equal rights is fine. what femminism is doing now is something different all together.

It's okay to talk about how "white supremacy" destroyed everything but label Asian martial arts practitioners as "screaming pajama-wearers"

It's ok to make up crap about white people and say we are the evil of the world yet its not cool to make for of asians.....is that a joke??

remember some years back, the acquaintance I mentioned who was a guro in bukti negara silat?

Yeah, i remember that.

He once told me that he would never teach them to a caucassian.

Can you picture a white dude saying the reverse about a black guy and the living hell he would get from that statement. I have not seen racism in ma but I have seen religous based-ism in some muslim silat. If your not muslim you will not always get the good stuff and be promoted all the way in the eyes of some peeps.

SevenStar
04-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Can you picture a white dude saying the reverse about a black guy and the living hell he would get from that statement. I have not seen racism in ma but I have seen religous based-ism in some muslim silat. If your not muslim you will not always get the good stuff and be promoted all the way in the eyes of some peeps.

I don't disagree - look at what's going on with that john imus guy. But in this regard, I guess it's really not much different than the chinese refusing to teach the non-chinese. This guy wouldn't teach an asian either, so I guess at least he discriminated equally. He didn't sound angry like the guys on that site though - he just wouldn't teach a non-black.

bodhitree
04-10-2007, 10:58 AM
I won't teach a beard, just won't happen

PangQuan
04-10-2007, 10:58 AM
thats kinda like me

if your not native american, english, german, french, and filipino, i wont teach you.....

sadly my student base isnt so hot

bodhitree
04-10-2007, 10:59 AM
I like how you used "and" and not "or"

PangQuan
04-10-2007, 11:14 AM
lol thats because thats my blood build

:p

SevenStar
04-10-2007, 11:52 AM
thats kinda like me

if your not native american, english, german, french, and filipino, i wont teach you.....

sadly my student base isnt so hot

that's just it - they don't care about student base. Matter of fact, the guy I was referring to taught free of charge. And he was very good. I guess in a sense, I can see where they are coming from - if you ask many people, they really don't know african arts ever existed. Heck, even on this forum, where people have expressed thoughts that arts africa did have must've been influenced by china. The ones that are known get knocked like wushu does. They are trying to spread the word that african styles do exist - what I don't agree with, however, is keeping only amongst a certain group / race.

BruceSteveRoy
04-10-2007, 12:17 PM
the only reason i know of african arts is because of some research i did when looking for a school around here when i first moved to the area. i found out that tayari casel teaches in the area. i am too young to know him but from talking to some sifus i know they said he was pretty good and was popular in the 70 s or 80s. anyway he was northern shaolin and was big on the tournament circuit and then kind of dropped off of the face of the earth. turns out he went to africa and studied there. now he teaches northern shaolin and whatever the african style he learned. i have been meaning to stop by his school and see it just out of curiosity.

lkfmdc
04-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Seems pretty simple, if you discriminate against someone based upon what they look like on the outside you are a RACIST

Racists and racism sux, it's bad, F it big time, if you are a racist DROP DEAD, regardless of what kind of racist you happen to be

Black Jack II
04-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Racism is as old as mankind. It exists in all countries as there is always the need to find a scapegoat. People tend to forget that we often have the same domestic problems and worries despite our skin color and religous background.

but.....despite how racism sucks, there are sterotypes that exist. Everyone on this board unless you live under your grandma's kitchen sink has met more than a few, so let's be real about that, stupid, angry and ignorant people are everywhere.

Eddie
04-10-2007, 02:13 PM
seems like just another made up style with mixed up terms and cultures, made up by some Idealist African American guy with romantic wishes for his root culture.

I alsways ask these people the same thing. We in Africa did you learn this? Did you live in a shanty while you were in Africa? Do you know, understand, and participate in African culture? Do you know where Africa is on a map?

golden arhat
04-10-2007, 02:49 PM
seems like just another made up style with mixed up terms and cultures, made up by some Idealist African American guy with romantic wishes for his root culture.

I alsways ask these people the same thing. We in Africa did you learn this? Did you live in a shanty while you were in Africa? Do you know, understand, and participate in African culture? Do you know where Africa is on a map?

i know what you mean
i can tell you the only real african martial art ur goin to find is in places like stellanbosch or joburg

and that my friends is firearms fu

and even if this guy is for real sonce when did old mean better ?

Eddie
04-10-2007, 11:19 PM
no, there are african fighting styles out there, its just not as defined as some of these guys want to make you think.I've had this exact same argument with someone on this forum before.

oh, and africans who would teach a white man their secret? Thats the biggest bunch of cr@ p . Down here there are even white sangomas.

bodhitree
04-11-2007, 07:10 AM
I'm certain Africa has MANY diverse fighting arts. Africa is rich with many cultures and languages. My friend from Sudan told me when he was a kid wrestling with pins was very popular, they didn't do submissions though. I've also seen African staff fighting on tv. There were no forms, just beating each other! I'm sure a lot of the people who have a NEED for hand to hand combat are not people who are traveling abroad, thus those arts are probably not easily spread.

Askari Hodari
12-21-2008, 10:36 AM
The book:
http://apps.afrikanmartialarts.com/Blog/?e=12524&d=07/21/2008&s=Afrikan%20Martial%20Arts:%20Discovering%20The%20 Warrior%20Within
(http://apps.afrikanmartialarts.com/Blog/?e=12524&d=07/21/2008&s=Afrikan%20Martial%20Arts:%20Discovering%20The%20 Warrior%20Within)
Preview video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYuJatmCqso

Article about the author:
BALOGUN OYABODE ABEEGUNDE
Author of "Discovering The Warrior Within: Afrikan Martial Arts"

Balogun O. Abeegunde began training in the African martial arts in April 1972, under the tutelage of his father, Adam A. Swan and has since traveled to Africa and throughout the Americas in pursuit of martial arts knowledge.

Balogun is Master Instructor and Director of all branches of the African Martial Arts Institute and Artistic Director of the Roaring Lions Demonstration Team.

Balogun is a regular columnist in the online magazine, Ammo and has written articles for the leading martial arts magazine in the world, Black Belt.

Balogun has lectured, performed demonstrations and taught workshops at conferences, festivals, and educational institutions – from elementary school to the university level – throughout the United States and abroad for the past twenty years.

Balogun and the Full Instructors under his tutelage were recently featured in two documentaries on the African martial arts, an article in Black Belt Magazine, the short film, “The Black Panther: Blood Ties” and will be featured in the upcoming major motion picture, Slums 13. In March of 2008, Balogun’s book, “Afrikan Martial Arts: Discovering the Warrior Within” was released and is available for purchase online and in major bookstores around the globe.

In the summer of 2008, Balogun will produce, star in and choreograph a feature film he wrote for Atlanta Filmworks, entitled “Reynolds’ War”, which is a martial arts thriller that showcases incredible acting, dynamic African martial arts and a powerful and intriguing story.

Balogun is an Eleegun (Ancestral Priest), poet, actor, playwright, screenwriter, film producer, journalist, author and Conflict Resolution Specialist. He lives and works in Stone Mountain, Georgia with his wife and his seven children.

Balogun may be contacted at balogun@afrikanmartialarts.com or
for more information www.myspace.com/egbeogun

GeneChing
04-14-2011, 09:28 AM
There's always been skepticism with African martial arts. Personally, I feel that styles such as this Kusema Vijiti have a more convincing hold on such claims. Martial arts have been embedded in dance cross-culturally for centuries. In fact, a lot of Chinese martial arts are so.

Talking sticks aren't kung fu fighting (http://www.mercurynews.com/columns/ci_17831916?nclick_check=1)
By Dave Newhouse
Oakland Tribune columnist
Posted: 04/14/2011 12:00:00 AM PDT

It was a contorted conflict of events -- contorted being a karate hold that's best avoided. But across the street from where two of the four Oakland police officers were fatally shot March 21, 2009, stands this city's oldest martial arts business.

Bill and Mary Owens own the Cascos Martial Art Academy at 7415 MacArthur Blvd. in East Oakland. They think it's the Bay Area's oldest such active club, with 40 years of instruction in kung fu fighting and other self-defense tactics.

It's also possibly the most innovative martial arts facility in the country.

You see, Bill and Mary teach Kusema Vijiti -- an African term for "talking sticks." Bill devised this unique discipline in Oakland; it's the merging of martial arts and rhythmic dance movements sometimes set to music.

But even with a background of music instruments, the main sound heard is the rhythmic "talking" cadence of 26-inch-long rattan sticks as Bill and Mary "thwack" them on the floor, or against their shoes, or mainly stick on stick.

This isn't Bruce Lee's idea of martial arts.

"The key difference," Bill said, "is an approach from a cultural perspective. So many martial arts are approached from the self-defensive fighting aspect. We're trying to avoid the banging. Anyone can take a roller and paint a wall. Only an artist can paint a picture. Anyone can fight, but art offers enrichment."

However, along with the culture and self-empowerment that's offered, work is involved.

"You have to learn some discipline," Mary said, "before you can move into the talking sticks. It would be very hard without the discipline. It's a centering of yourself, a process where you grow through the art."

To merely say that Bill and Mary are qualified instructors would be to grossly undersell their talents -- or trophies, with more than 100 between them.

Bill, 68, is a 10th-degree black belt, or Grand Master. No higher black belt exists. He once was ranked fifth in the world, and for three years was No. 1 on the West Coast. He now teaches his talking sticks method around the world.

Mary, 61, an eighth-degree black belt, formerly was ranked No. 3 in the United States and No. 1 on the West Coast.

They teach all aspects of martial arts -- not just talking sticks -- to kids and adults. Bill doesn't pull punches from the beginning, even with timid tykes.

"When they walk in," he said, "I tell them, 'You're going to learn to fight.' I do this on purpose right in front of their parents, because some of these kids come in wimpy, scared. What I want from them is to become a great young man or lady by giving them responsibility."

Perhaps not all students possess the natural rhythm to master the talking sticks.

"It is difficult," Bill said. "This is definitely a leg up, but I prove to all of them that they have rhythm. Rhythm is timing. It's just a matter of bringing it out."

The Owens' business' name, Cascos, is a derivative of California and Colorado pluralized. The Colorado part is Bill's way of honoring a former martial arts teacher of his who moved to the Mile High state.

Bill and Mary once had 220 students, but they're down to 60 because of the economy -- and the killings of the four Oakland policemen. Mark Dunakin and John Hege were gunned down directly across the street, and Ervin Romans and Daniel Sakai were shot around the block on 74th Avenue.

"All the businesses here have been affected by those shootings except the barber shop," Bill said. "People don't stop as much. They just drive past."

Bill and Mary soldier on, offering classes every day but Sunday. To register, call 510-638-9990.

"We teach self-confidence and self-esteem," Bill said. "That's our mantra."

NOTE: I merged two African-related threads into this one.

GeneChing
06-22-2017, 10:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eALqdcN0zc8

This is this week's episode's extra reel. I'm not in this episode either but again, you can see me for a millisecond at 0:16 in this extra reel.

Man At Arms: Art of War (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70140-Man-at-Arms-Art-of-War-New-Original-Series-from-EL-REY-Network) & African martial arts (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?45823-African-martial-arts)

GeneChing
02-16-2018, 08:49 AM
So much buzz on this film, but know your history - READ BLACK PANTHER: Come out Fighting (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1401) by Patrick Lugo and Gene Ching

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/admin/site_images/KungfuMagazine/upload/8979_20180612-BlackPanther.jpg

GeneChing
10-15-2018, 12:10 PM
https://pictures.ozy.com/pictures/1280x720/1/6/0/123160_ek2ac2.jpg

HOW SENEGALESE WRESTLING BECAME A MODERN MARTIAL ARTS SENSATION (https://www.ozy.com/the-huddle/how-senegalese-wrestling-became-a-modern-martial-arts-sensation/85790)
BY CIKU KIMERIA • APR 16 2018

Why You Should Care
Because this wrestling-boxing combo is bigger than soccer in Senegal.

https://www.ozy.com/magazine/graphics/atw/flags/SN.png
Senegal
14.497401° N, -14.452362° W
15,411,614 Population
Multiple, including French & Wolof Spoken Languages
$2,678 GDP Per Capita
Dakar Capital City

The crowd is buzzing as the unforgiving Dakar sun beats down and the stadium fills past capacity. The air is thick with tension — one fears to step on anyone’s toes. The drums pound louder in anticipation of the historic match that is about to begin. Two loincloth-clad wrestlers prepare in an expansive ring, their feet deep in the sand. Each grappler is joined by a marabout or two, spiritual guides who lead their men through rituals that, while steeped in traditional culture, also borrow heavily from the mystical Sufi Islamism practiced by most Senegalese.

In the ring is Fodé Doussouba, the 6-foot-2-inch, 330-pound star of traditional Senegalese wrestling sans frappe (without hitting or punching), who has enjoyed an undefeated, 11-year reign. He walks through a wooden loop four times to ward off negative spells.

His opponent is the heavy favorite, Bory Patar, the 6-foot-5-inch, 265-pound champion of wrestling avec frappe (with hitting or punching), the modern, commercial version of the sport that combines elements of wrestling and bare-knuckle boxing. Patar, who is wearing leather charms and amulets, douses himself in an oily liquid handed to him by his marabout — a potion to increase his strength, make him invincible and assure victory.

WRESTLING COMPETITIONS ALSO WERE USED TO PAY HOMAGE TO RESPECTED LEADERS, CELEBRATE INITIATION CEREMONIES AND SHOW OFF MASCULINITY TO POTENTIAL BRIDES.
In the stadium’s seat of honor sits a regal man in a grand boubou — Bassirou Diagne Marème Diop. In a few decades he’ll become Le Grand Serigne de Dakar, the leader of the Lebou people, fishermen who are the original inhabitants of the region. For now, in 1961, he’s a rogue wrestling promoter who has rigged the match between old and new, giving the fighters different contracts that require each to compete in his own style, while filling the stadium with fans hungry to see what type of fight it turns out to be.

4, 3, 2, 1 — wrestle!

Patar lashes out. “He punched me!” yells Doussouba, holding his head in shock.

Diop rushes into the ring and loudly berates Patar. “Why did you hit him? You know this match is meant to be a traditional wrestling match — no punching!” As he walks away, though, he whispers to Patar: “Next time, hit him harder.”

4, 3, 2, 1 — wrestle!

Bam!

This time, realizing he’s been tricked, Doussouba reaches for a big stick and uses it to beat Patar. The event descends into chaos as the fans start fighting in the stands. The match is stopped, but a winner can be declared: the modern style. From that point on, the dominant wrestling in Senegal is avec frappe.

Not that it mattered to Diop, who had covered his bases. “The money had been taken home to the promoter’s wife before the match even began,” says Serigne Mour Diop, a Senegalese wrestling historian, journalist and author of La Lutte Senegalaise. “They knew the drama that would ensue.”

La lutte Senegalaise, or laamb ji as it’s known in the Senegalese language of Wolof, has existed since the 14th century. It was a form of entertainment that usually occurred after the harvest when villages would compete against each other. The wrestling competitions also were used to pay homage to respected leaders, celebrate initiation ceremonies and show off masculinity to potential brides.

https://pictures.ozy.com/pictures/768xany/1/5/9/123159_ek2ae6.jpg
Balla Gaye 2 (left) tangles with Eumeu Sene during a Senegalese traditional wrestling match.

SOURCE LI JING/XINHUA/ALAMY

In the early years of the 20th century, French colonial leaders introduced prize money, which gradually changed the sport from a community event into a commercial one. La lutte declined during World War I, when more than 200,000 Senegalese soldiers served France — 30,000 of them perished in the European conflict.

Despite the wartime setback, Senegalese wrestling recovered, its popularity and mysticism intact. A major turning point was in 1924 when Maurice Jacquin, a French film producer and avid boxer, opened a cinema in Dakar and used its grounds to train boxers. Several wrestlers were attracted to the sport, and Jacquin came up with the idea of combining the two martial arts into today’s dominant version of la lutte.

While fame was always there for great wrestlers, fortune only started in the 1970s when the sport was formalized and coordinated under a governing body. Since then, la lutte has become more famous than soccer in Senegal — and it attracts even larger sponsors. The big stars can make as much as $200,000 per match and fight in two to three matches per year, say promoters. And that’s in a country where the annual income per capita is $1,093, according to the World Bank.

Today, in the same way a young boy in a Brazilian favela dreams of becoming the next Ronaldo, in Senegal a young boy dreams of being Falaye Baldé, who grabbed his opponents and demanded of the crowd, “Tell me where to toss him!” Or Mame Gorgui Ndiaye, who after every match, spoke poetically of all the wrestlers he had defeated — driving his fans into a frenzy. Or Doudou Baka Sarr, famous for bringing his own musicians to matches and, after each victory, parading in front of the crowd in a majestic robe decorated with mirrors.

The young Senegalese boy dreams of going down in history, immortalized in songs and stories with the great wrestlers who have gone before him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_S6MC1CcyU

I'd love to see this live.

mawali
10-18-2018, 12:10 PM
Africa has a strong tribal wrestling tradition but it is being re-invented because the tribes who, and where the tradition has been part of, have been swamped by larger tribes and the formation of the nation/state apparatus. I don't recall the name of the book but a CMA fellow who studied in China profiled many of these wrestling traditions of Africa, as part of a greater martial arts of the world.

I can see how shuaijiao upped 'traditional" styles because of function and utility with a dose of reality! Imagine a bewildered qi fighter coming into contact with one doing spinning kicks, backhanded fists and one 40-60 lbs of energy in a punch, coming at yah....holy mofo:D

GeneChing
10-23-2018, 10:14 AM
Our intrepid reporter travels to the Land of Cush. READ The Rainbow Continent Kung Fu Friendship Tour Part 1: Welcome Home to Ethiopia (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1444) by Gregory Brundage

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/admin/site_images/KungfuMagazine/upload/6861_20183804.jpg

THREADS
The Silk Road (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68861)
African Martial Arts (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?45823)
Shaolin Rasta - the 37th Chamber (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?58144)

GeneChing
12-04-2018, 11:19 AM
Our intrepid reporter explores Wushu in the Land of Cush. READ The Rainbow Continent Kung Fu Friendship Tour Part 2: Ethiopia (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1452) by Gregory Brundage

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/admin/site_images/KungfuMagazine/upload/3716_20184401-Ethiopia.jpg

THREADS
The Silk Road (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68861)
African Martial Arts (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?45823)
Shaolin Rasta - the 37th Chamber (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?58144)

GeneChing
11-15-2019, 11:01 AM
Centuries-old Zulu tradition of Stick-Fighting is today helping South Africa to curb gang violence. Here’s why (https://face2faceafrica.com/article/centuries-old-zulu-tradition-of-stick-fighting-is-today-helping-south-africa-to-curb-gang-violence-heres-why)
October 23, 2019 at 10:00 am | CULTURE
THEODORA AIDOO | Staff Writer
FULL BIO
Theodora Aidoo is a young woman who is passionate about women-related issues. Her Love: To bring to fore the activities of women making a global impact. This stems from her journalism background from the Nigerian Institute of Journalism and Ghana Institute of Journalism.

https://cdn.face2faceafrica.com/www/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/10c9661092b64124b0ce4fb69b7cac82.jpg
Pic Credit: Pinterest

Nguni stick-fighting, traditionally called donga, or dlala ‘nduku, is a popular sporting activity among South Africans, especially herdsmen and the youth.

According to SAHO, the origins of this indigenous sport within the Zulu community varies as some trace it to the times of Shaka Zulu and others to Amalandela, the son of Gumede, around 1670.

Nonetheless, it is commonly agreed that during Shaka’s reign this sport was used as a way of training young men for war and self-defense. Participation is restricted to males. Herdsmen also learned the sport to protect their livestock.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2f/d0/e9/2fd0e947e5b34423721463313a90c07d.jpg
Young Xhosa men engaging in traditional stick-fighting. Pic Credit: Pinterest

There are variations of the stick-fighting throughout Southern African tribes, who incorporate shields as part of the stick-fighting weaponry. For instance, Zulu stick-fighting uses an isikhwili or attacking stick, an ubhoko or defending stick and an ihawu or defending shield.

Traditionally, men own their fighting sticks, which are stored in the roofs of their houses.

The indigenous sport requires the use of three different sticks, each with a different purpose. The first is used for striking (Induku), the second for defense (Ubhoko), and there is also a short stick (umsila) accompanied by a small shield (ihawu) to protect the knuckles.

Before the fight begins, two fighters face each other and tap one another’s shield or sticks to show fair sportsmanship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBAHfVdKwa0

In modern times stick-fighting has become a part of the wedding ceremony. As a way of both families getting to know each other, warriors from the groom’s household are welcome to contend with warriors from the bride’s side.

They do this by engaging in combat with one another. Other groups of warriors may also be welcome to join in while an “induna” or War Captain / Referee from each group of warriors keeps his crew in check and keeps order between fighters.

The game is a battle of sticks played by two people at a time. Participants can group themselves and take turns till a group emerges as the winner.

Stick-fighting is a martial art that has been practiced in southern Africa for centuries. The game could last for more than five hours and it is often interesting and spectacular to watch. The game could get bloody, however, opponents are warned to ensure fair play.

Injuries sustained from the fight could lead to permanent marks which are viewed as badges of honour with the most highly recognized being a scar on the head which is known as Inkamb’ beyibuza.

“At times, the stick fighters seem to be controlled by unseen forces. Fighting styles become unnatural, uncontrollable and unpredictable. Some believe that supernatural forces are at work and that success depends on how strong a combatant’s muti is,” reports Timeslive.co.za.

South African anti-apartheid revolutionary and former president, Nelson Mandela was said to have practiced Nguni stick-fighting as a child, and was featured on the Discovery and BBC reality TV show Last Man Standing. It has also been featured in Season 1 of the television series Deadliest Warrior.

Over time, the stick-fighting which was used as a way of training young men for war and self-defense evolved into a sporting activity for pleasure, but participants ended up with injuries. Hence, the game was banned in some parts of South Africa.

https://cdn.face2faceafrica.com/www/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/South-African-boys-practi-007.jpg
South African boys practise stick-fighting in a Cape Town township. Pic Credit:: Alex Duval Smith/guardian.co.uk

In several townships around Cape Town, stick-fighting is making a come-back and earning people money. Formerly, a traditional art of Intonga for rural Xhosa boys, today stick-fighting is being used to keep teenagers away from gang violence and drugs.

Film maker SiyaBonga Makhathini has directed the film “We Still are Warriors” which captures the essence of the modern-day Zulu stick-fighter, descendant of the kings of old.

Martial arts teaches respect, etiquette and the results of actions. It's great to raise the youth, not only for health, but as a moral compass.