PDA

View Full Version : Way OT about Windows Vista

BruceSteveRoy
04-10-2007, 10:29 AM
I just installed Vista Ultimate on my computer. I am wondering if any one here has experience with it? mainly i am curious how to turn off the little pop up that lets me know the computer is about to do what i told it to do.

for instance i click on mozilla to get on the internet (i don't use IE) and a box comes up to let me know i am about to open mozilla. its not a big deal but its annoying and it does it with a few other programs. is there a way to make it stop?

bodhitree
04-10-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm going through the same.

Indestructible
04-10-2007, 11:02 AM
A sad realization is dawning. Cancel or allow?

golden arhat
04-10-2007, 11:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JheuLfWYSsc

neilhytholt
04-10-2007, 11:44 AM
If you turn off security, you can get rid of cancel/allow.

Of course, you probably don't want to turn off security.

BruceSteveRoy
04-10-2007, 12:09 PM
thats what i thought. i was hoping there were was a way to turn off certain elements of security without affecting the whole thing.

and that commercial was the first thing that came to mind when i was installing it last night.

neilhytholt
04-10-2007, 03:46 PM
thats what i thought. i was hoping there were was a way to turn off certain elements of security without affecting the whole thing.

and that commercial was the first thing that came to mind when i was installing it last night.

From what I've been told by people who installed Vista, this is the biggest gripe right now with Vista.

Maybe they'll fix it in a future patch. As it stands now, though, the security model seems to be kindof retarded. A lot of firewall SW for XP allows you to set permissions on a per app basis and only get notified when a new app does something unexpected.

Oso
04-10-2007, 07:16 PM
http://tv.truenuff.com/mac/

Ben Gash
04-11-2007, 01:46 AM
Great, my new PC arrives next week, and that's really gonna bug me (and drive my wife nuts) :(

Royal Dragon
04-11-2007, 06:37 AM
Strip it and put XP back in.....

brothernumber9
04-12-2007, 10:05 AM
should've got the basic without the security junk. Stinger is better.
Anyone have any thoughts on Linux? I have a few distributions but have not installed them or tried em out other than a shell for simple programming, finding libraries that people are willing to give away for free is a pain at times though.

neilhytholt
04-12-2007, 10:33 AM
With Vista, can you turn off security and run an XP firewall? I don't have Vista, so I don't know.

Sang Feng Fan
04-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Any Vista success stories or fans out there?

monkeyfoot
04-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Strip it and put XP back in.....

go one better.....get a mac

neilhytholt
04-12-2007, 04:49 PM
should've got the basic without the security junk. Stinger is better.
Anyone have any thoughts on Linux? I have a few distributions but have not installed them or tried em out other than a shell for simple programming, finding libraries that people are willing to give away for free is a pain at times though.

The main problem with Linux is there's not a lot of commercial apps. If you're just running a server or something and not using it for home use, then you could probably try that.

But if you're using it for home use and want to run some commercial software, unless it runs under Wine or something, you'd probably be SOL.

rogue
04-12-2007, 05:39 PM
I use Open Office on my Linux box at work and at home on my XP box. So far I don't miss Word or Excel.

Browser is Firefox.