PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Chan's Disciples

GeneChing
04-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Apr 7, 10:23 AM EDT
Jackie Chan Launches Chinese TV Show (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PEOPLE_CHAN?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=ENTERTAINMENT&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2007-04-07-10-23-33)

BEIJING (AP) -- Jackie Chan on Saturday launched a Chinese TV competition aimed at scouting out new action movie talent, saying more than 100,000 people have already signed up for a shot at kung fu stardom.

"A lot of actors are good at fighting but (their style) is not beautiful," the Chinese star and stunt man, who turned 53 Saturday, said in Beijing.

"If you can incorporate dance with an ability to perform kung fu, that would be better," Chan told an audience that included a selected 20 of the show's contestants and some Chinese celebrities.

The TV show, whose English title is "The Disciple," is jointly produced by Chan and Beijing TV Station, known as BTV.

The show will run from March to October, with 10 winners appearing in a movie to be produced by Chan, organizers said. The movie will be released before the 2008 Beijing Olympics, Chan said.

Of course, we knew about this already....

Jackie Chan's Disciples - Global Talent Search

Jackie Chan has launched an international talent search for his new reality talent show Jackie Chan’s Disciples. Ten winners will be named “Descendants of the Dragon” on the show’s finale on top of the Great Wall in October 2007. The Descendants of the Dragon will each be awarded with a film contract, as well as receive personal training from Jackie Chan.

The U.S.A. competition will be held on Friday, May 27 from 2 to 6 PM at the Wu Chi Kung Fu Academy, 40924 Fremont Blvd., Fremont, CA 94538. Contestants must be a Chinese citizen or Chinese descendants from 18 to 28, be moral and free of bad habits, and unsigned by any entertainment, broker or producing company. They will be judged on their skills in martial arts, dance, vocals, acrobatics, comedy, gymnastics and acting. Registration is $80. Forms can be downloaded at www.IntMAT.com or www.wuchikungfu.com. Submission deadline is May 25th, 2007. Three winners and five runners-up will be selected by the U.S.A. Committee. The U.S.A. Committee: Chair: Tao He, Co-chairs: Ann Woo, Gigi Oh, Tony Chen. A U.S.A. Winner Award Ceremony will be held in June 10th at 6PM at the San Jose Civic Auditorium.

The three winners will be sent to Beijing to enter the Global Semi-final Competition starting on June 15. The Global Semi-final Competition will consist of 300 candidates selected from different countries will gather in Beijing to be trained under Jackie’s guidance to compete for 40 semi-finalist slots. Global Finals will narrow the field down to 20 finalists. These competitions will be held from June 15th to 25th in Beijing. The Final Competition will be held on top of the Great Wall from September 20th to 29th. For more information, see long.btv.com.cn.

See TigerClawFoundation.org (http://www.TigerClawFoundation.org) now for more on our involvement.

tug
04-13-2007, 08:52 AM
I just read JC's remarks about this new show, and I'm surprised the MMA community is not more in an uproar. Particularly this one -

"A lot of actors are good at fighting but (their style) is not beautiful,". (a la WuShu)

-just talking here,

TuG.

GeneChing
04-13-2007, 09:53 AM
We're still waiting for that good MMA movie. In fact, we're still waiting for any other martial movie genre outside of CMA or samurai films to have that significant an impact. Clearly, Thai martial arts films show a lot of promise, but we're only talking about less than half a dozen films. Compare that with the countless kung fu and samurai films that have been released for decades and continue to be made. Even Parkour showed some promise, but like the Thai stuff, we're only talking a handful of films.

I'm ready for that MMA movie, or more Thai, or more Parkour. I don't think the popular market cares. They just want to see good action. But until they really come forward, we'll be watching more kung fu flicks.

As for not being beautiful, this is the same misunderstanding that many martial artists had about K-STAR (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39272) (and perhaps to some degree, Final Fu (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42294)). It's 'reality' TV, which means that looks totally count. The sexier the contestants, the better the ratings. For both Disciples and K-STAR, they are grooming a new star, so looks definitely count. In this way, it's really more like America's Next Top Model (http://www.cwtv.com/shows/americas-next-top-model)or even Grease: You're the one that I want (http://www.nbc.com/Grease/). They're looking for a whole celebrity package, not just a good fighter. If you want to find good fighters, that's what MMA is for.

Shaolinlueb
04-13-2007, 10:19 AM
so how does the lueb get into it? i think i would be awesome ;)

tug
04-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Since it's tv for the masses, I would think it'd be hard to sell serious MMA, but since it's growing somewhat exponentially in popularity, hopefully it won't be too long...

Thank god for UFC, K1 and Pride. (and Spike for promoting it so)

Any thoughts on IFL I haven't noticed yet? A fiance of a friend of mine is training with them, and is extremely avid about it. Looks like plain ol' brawlin' IMO.

grlyncher99
04-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Gene could pass for 28. He could. A badly worn and tired 28, but 28! We'll dip him in some rioixin or skin tightener or whatever it's called. And the we'll get him entered on the Disciple! Start photoshopping that birth certificate today.

Oh wait, good moral values and habits. That might be a problem . . .

tug
04-13-2007, 02:10 PM
I'll throw in for it...

GeneChing
04-13-2007, 02:52 PM
...but 2006 was a rough one and I've aged a lot since then. :(

Sorry Lueb, Jackie is only making this show open to people of Asian descent. No German wrasslers allowed.

neilhytholt
04-13-2007, 07:23 PM
We're still waiting for that good MMA movie. In fact, we're still waiting for any other martial movie genre outside of CMA or samurai films to have that significant an impact.

What? What about American Ninja and the entire Ninja craze of the 1980s and early 1990s ... no impact? ;)

tug
04-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Dudikoff!

Dudikoff!

Dudikoff!

*koff*

jethro
04-13-2007, 08:52 PM
HEy Gene, have you seen Undisputed 2? I would consider that the definitive MMA movie, but I still think it could be better.

grlyncher99
04-15-2007, 08:50 AM
How can you say there are no great MMA movies when "Irish American Ninja" is available for rental?

GeneChing
04-16-2007, 11:10 AM
I've always considered ninjas to be derivative of the samurai chanbara genre, but after a little reflection, I concede that ninja flicks are a genre on to themselves, especially in the west.

I haven't seen Undisputed 2. I haven't seen Undisputed 1. I saw Honor. These were all direct-2-DVD, right?

Shaolinlueb
04-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Sorry Lueb, Jackie is only making this show open to people of Asian descent. No German wrasslers allowed.

thats ****ing ghey and racist. oh well, looks like i will have to make it in hong kong on my own then.

GeneChing
04-16-2007, 12:24 PM
I was wondering when someone would comment on that. It's tricky and raises a lot of questions. Since it's a specific audition for a show, when you do auditions, there is always a specific demographic. Is that racist? Can you cast white guys for Asian roles and vice versa? Remember what happened with Joel Grey in Remo Williams. Were there any Asian or Black competitors for Grease: You're the one that I want and if so, how did they do? I didn't watch that show at all so I have no idea.

I'm not seeking to defend this. I'm just curious since it's somewhat uncharted territory and I think it's worth some exploration here. At least Jackie didn't call anyone nappy-headed hos.

5Animals1Path
04-16-2007, 12:56 PM
At least Jackie didn't call anyone nappy-headed hos.

I kinda wish he would've. Maybe then the show'd make it to basic cable just for the fuss ratings.

GeneChing
04-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Given the course of this thread, this is probably not PC, but I just got to post this now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvionZFGBqA).

jethro
04-16-2007, 06:30 PM
I've always considered ninjas to be derivative of the samurai chanbara genre, but after a little reflection, I concede that ninja flicks are a genre on to themselves, especially in the west.

I haven't seen Undisputed 2. I haven't seen Undisputed 1. I saw Honor. These were all direct-2-DVD, right?

I haven't seen Honor or Undisputed 1, but Undisputed 1 had Ving Rames and Wesley Snipes, so I doubt it was direct to video.

And shame on you for not seeing Undisputed 2. :p

There is no need to see part 1 (at least that is what i have heard), but you should really see part 2 ASAP. Becasue of this movie, Scott Adkins is no doubt going to be a star and I heard he is going to be in the Bourne Ultimatum movie.

Shaolinlueb
04-16-2007, 07:32 PM
its back to the old sterotype. your only good at kung fu if your chinese. i have seen plenty of chinese who arent good and that i am better then.

if someone came to my school and said i cant train with you cause im not chinese i would laugh at them.

just cause its a chinese person doesnt make them good.

but yeah its casting so i guess they can ask for what they want whether it be asian or whatever. heck i can be a bad guy still right? ;)

youcandokungfu
04-16-2007, 08:56 PM

See TigerClawFoundation.org (http://www.TigerClawFoundation.org) now for more on our involvement.

Hi...im new at this but i have 28 years Chow Gar Style northern...
From Master chow bill one of the best in Northern China....if i go i will be one of the 10 best...im even better than Jackie Chan...I do 56 diifrent styles of forms 3 and 4 and 7 arm dummy ...never been seen before /...I am doing instructional dvd....56 diffrent styles...learn the best of the true northern style art....at www.youcandokungfu.com move over Jackie Chan,..good by jet li....Here comes Marco Revah...Chow gar real style:D

youcandokungfu
04-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Hi...im new at this but i have 28 years Chow Gar Style northern...
From Master chow bill one of the best in Northern China....if i go i will be one of the 10 best...im even better than Jackie Chan...I do 56 diifrent styles of forms 3 and 4 and 7 arm dummy ...never been seen before /...I am doing instructional dvd....56 diffrent styles...learn the best of the true northern style art....at www.youcandokungfu.com move over Jackie Chan,..good by jet li....Here comes Marco Revah...Chow gar real style:D

Any one want to learn the 4 and 7 arm wooden dummy 256 moves?????
never been seen before...???

GeneChing
04-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Shaolinlueb, I think you're assuming that this is just about kung fu. It isn't. That's the same problem that many critics had about K-STAR. They assumed it was just about kung fu (or wushu or MMA or whatever). Here in America, we have typecast Jackie as a martial artist only. But in Asia, Jackie is a celebrity on many different levels. In THE MYTH: Jackie Chan's Stir-fries HERO, MUSA and Lara Croft Chop Suey Style (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=658), author August West taps this somewhat in his intro. If someone is to be a genuine disciple of Jackie, sure, he or she has got to have some kung fu skills. But there also needs to be singing talent and, well, to quote August, oatcakes.

neilhytholt
04-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Any one want to learn the 4 and 7 arm wooden dummy 256 moves?????
never been seen before...???

Where is your clip. The video sample doesn't show you moving. Where is your 4 arm and 7 arm wooden dummy DVD for sale?

If you want to sell, then post a clip and link to buy. :)

Better yet, post a clip of you fighting 4 Amazons.

yutyeesam
04-17-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm surprised Bollywood hasn't tried to cash in the Kalaripayattu card yet...

The action in Bollywood movies (when it's not dancing action), looks Hong Kongy.

neilhytholt
04-17-2007, 11:34 AM
I'm surprised Bollywood hasn't tried to cash in the Kalaripayattu card yet...

The action in Bollywood movies (when it's not dancing action), looks Hong Kongy.

Kalaripayattu don't exactly look like modern movie wushu fighting. It looks ... extremely primitive by comparison.

neilhytholt
04-17-2007, 11:42 AM
See ... it looks like something somebody might actually use to fight, not like fancy wushu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWvESxZezd0&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WumqMYjLC5I&mode=related&search=

(Okay, maybe the fire part is the exception). LOL

Shaolinlueb
04-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Shaolinlueb, I think you're assuming that this is just about kung fu. It isn't. That's the same problem that many critics had about K-STAR. They assumed it was just about kung fu (or wushu or MMA or whatever). Here in America, we have typecast Jackie as a martial artist only. But in Asia, Jackie is a celebrity on many different levels. In THE MYTH: Jackie Chan's Stir-fries HERO, MUSA and Lara Croft Chop Suey Style (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=658), author August West taps this somewhat in his intro. If someone is to be a genuine disciple of Jackie, sure, he or she has got to have some kung fu skills. But there also needs to be singing talent and, well, to quote August, oatcakes.

yeah but his kung fu is so much ebtter then his singing.

yutyeesam
04-17-2007, 12:06 PM
See ... it looks like something somebody might actually use to fight, not like fancy wushu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWvESxZezd0&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WumqMYjLC5I&mode=related&search=

(Okay, maybe the fire part is the exception). LOL

Thanks for the clips! I found one too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpCCjsVIjME&mode=related&search=

Whip & shield vs. whip & shield! Mighty interesting - makes for some good visuals.

I think there is a high performance element to this. There are some yogic type poses in the art. Man, if this could be movie-i-fied, and marketed and packaged to the soccer-mom yoga craze, who knows! lol

But in reality, I don't think Kalaripayattu will ever become movied and marketed up. Too bad. There's some good stuff and high performance value stuff to it.

neilhytholt
04-17-2007, 12:50 PM
I was wondering when someone would comment on that. It's tricky and raises a lot of questions. Since it's a specific audition for a show, when you do auditions, there is always a specific demographic. Is that racist? Can you cast white guys for Asian roles and vice versa? Remember what happened with Joel Grey in Remo Williams. Were there any Asian or Black competitors for Grease: You're the one that I want and if so, how did they do? I didn't watch that show at all so I have no idea.

I'm not seeking to defend this. I'm just curious since it's somewhat uncharted territory and I think it's worth some exploration here. At least Jackie didn't call anyone nappy-headed hos.

It seems like the racist thing is kindof wrong, in a way. It doesn't seem like you can really completely ignore what people look like and where they come from, especially when you're trying to market to a particular demographic.

Saying that people are somehow inherently worse because they come from some place or are some race would be racism, but trying to find an Asian star for a largely Asian demographic doesn't seem like racism.

So the 'nappy' thing definitely would be sexist or racist because he used a derogatory term (not nappy), but looking for an Asian star doesn't seem to be the same thing.

Does that make sense?

Of course, there's probably a lot of martial arts people who will think this is unfair. Given the Western fetish, if you will, of a large portion of young Asians, it seems like it actually might be a bit of a mistake to discount a non-Asian star.

GeneChing
04-17-2007, 01:26 PM
My understanding is that Jackie Chan's Disciple will only be broadcast in Mainland China. Like K-STAR, we'll probably only get to see a few stray clips on youtube or something.

The Xia
04-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Contestants must be a Chinese citizen or Chinese descendants from 18 to 28, be moral and free of bad habits, and unsigned by any entertainment, broker or producing company.
To me, this statement indicates that contestants need to be of Chinese heritage, not just Asian. Although, I see a loophole. Someone who is non-Chinese (ethnically) but has Chinese citizenship should technically be able to enter if the quote is correct. Or, what if someone is a descendant of a non-Chinese (ethnically) Chinese-citizens? It would seem to me that they'd fit in because of a loophole as well. And what if someone is of mixed ethnicity (and part Chinese)? Not that I think any of these loopholes will come into play.

The Xia
04-18-2007, 01:28 PM
My understanding is that Jackie Chan's Disciple will only be broadcast in Mainland China. Like K-STAR, we'll probably only get to see a few stray clips on youtube or something.
And what exactly does the winner get?

GeneChing
04-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Jackie plans to release three films between the finale of Disciple and the opening of the Beijing Olympics. Those three films will feature the ten winners, the "descendants of the dragon". That's a pretty quick production time, but you know how fast they can make films in China.

It's similar to the prize for K-STAR, which promised a TV movie series deal or something like that. I've heard some grumblings that the K-STAR movie hasn't progressed much so far, but who knows?

The Xia
04-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Who won K-STAR?

doug maverick
04-22-2007, 09:28 PM
i knew three friends who were amazing martial artist(one of them is a choreagrapher for me) who tried out for this and lost to people who couldn't do to much. so what ever. as for the jackie chan. ehhhh i put money there gonna do an american version of this after rh3 comes out.

GeneChing
04-24-2007, 12:36 PM
They weren't looking for just martial artists. They were looking for a whole star package. It's the same for Jackie's show.

The winner of K-Star was a guy named Gu Shenwei.

doug maverick
04-24-2007, 01:35 PM
one of my guys who went out for it was a very well trained martial artist as well as a theater trained actor(nyu) and def had that leading man look about him.

GeneChing
04-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Just kidding. Ok, maybe not.

Did your guys audition at the call in L.A.? I was invited to go to that, but I passed due to other commitments. Gigi and Jonathan from our mag went instead.

doug maverick
04-25-2007, 10:06 AM
i was in the middle of filming when they got the call and asked me for permission to go down there(ofcourse i said yes can't be a total D1ck) but when they came back and said they lost (my choreagrapher in particular guys a dead ringer for wu jing) i was a bit shocked. and told them not to worry about they probably just being doing some corny ass kung fu show that use's way to much baby powder and crappy sound effects. anyway i got full slate of work for them, here so it all worked out for me(i'm finishing my first feature, working on my second, and another kung fu play, work work work)okay enough of my shameless self promotion. okay one more

Doug for president

youcandokungfu
08-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Where is your clip. The video sample doesn't show you moving. Where is your 4 arm and 7 arm wooden dummy DVD for sale?

If you want to sell, then post a clip and link to buy. :)

Better yet, post a clip of you fighting 4 Amazons.

From Marco
Look at www.clearimage.us/temp/kungFu/
and you will see my 3 arm but my 4th and 7arm will be on DVD soon
and let me know if you want one and want to learn....
Im the best out there at www.youcandokungfu
signed Marco Revah

youcandokungfu
08-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Move over Jackie Chan & Bruce lee & Jet Li..
Here comes Marco Revah
Learn 56 diffrent Styles with the New Instructional Dvds that
Marco Revah will sell on Line
I have 28 years study in the Northern Styles
look at www.youcandokungfu.com
and send e mail to the master to get your free Dvds
Just pay for shipping and handleing
you will be amazed from these Instructional Dvds
nothing better out there or your money back on the shipping..
From The Master
Marco Revah
3rd in Line from Master Chow Loong
And Sing Ming Li

youcandokungfu
08-07-2007, 10:52 PM

Why chinese....what about us white folks....thats not cool
us white folks are better sometimes??
thats not American....that real bull...
its no fair..i guess they dont want to be embarased..
Its not what race you are but how good you are..
:confused:

doug maverick
09-15-2007, 07:55 PM
phil sahagun from america is one of four finalist in jackie chans disciple search.

Nebuchadnezzar
09-16-2007, 05:57 PM
phil sahagun from america is one of four finalist in jackie chans disciple search.

Where's he from?

doug maverick
09-16-2007, 07:19 PM
phil is from southern california you can check out his site here (http://philipsahagun.com/)

GeneChing
09-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Of course not. The contest was held in PRC. What were you thinking?

doug maverick
09-17-2007, 12:09 PM
??????????

GeneChing
09-17-2007, 01:01 PM
The race issue has been a major on for this event, but it seems that they've dropped that with Phil. Phil did well in K-Star. (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39272) so it's interesting that he's doing well for Disciple.

doug maverick
09-17-2007, 07:00 PM
he did do well in k star. or at least that what i heard but we'll see who takes the cake at the end, cause from what i'm hearing the compitition is pretty stiff, actually its really stiff. i think phil stands a good chance cause he's both a martial artist and dancer. one of my choreagraphy partners would've been perfect for this compition but i couldn't convince him to do it. cause he went on tour as a back up dancer.

wr2
12-03-2007, 12:25 AM
I'll do well friends I'll be trying my best and as for dancing I've never danced I day in my life. Not sure where you guys got that. And as for martial arts I don't do wushu either... do the research guys =P

wr2
12-03-2007, 12:26 AM
P.s. in the end its a TV show regardless if it was a fight or something with real martial knowledge being determined then it would be interesting. Considering Jackie's show is being presented as a variety show and not a martial arts competition makes me wonder why were talking about Disciple on martial arts judging haha...

wr2
12-03-2007, 12:28 AM
Oh and I invite you all to come see my families school where I was grown up and raised... southcoastmartialarts.com

doug maverick
01-10-2008, 11:56 AM
my boy jerry liau is actually apart of this show now. and i didn't know it until like today, when i emailed him to do a voice over and he told me he was there.

GeneChing
01-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Jack Tu did (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=833102&postcount=64). He's a TCEC champion (http://www.tigerclawelite.com/) and long time friend of ours.

Here's a vid of Jack's qualifying round (http://www.openv.com/play.jsp?ref=tvprogramme_20080106_2664242&db=video&kw=&ci=1&src=&target=play&projectId=&cfrom).

doug maverick
01-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Jack Tu did (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=833102&postcount=64). He's a TCEC champion (http://www.tigerclawelite.com/) and long time friend of ours.

Here's a vid of Jack's qualifying round (http://www.openv.com/play.jsp?ref=tvprogramme_20080106_2664242&db=video&kw=&ci=1&src=&target=play&projectId=&cfrom).

he's still there so i assume so.

GeneChing
01-23-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm rooting for Jack, of course, since I know him personally. ;)

Lights, camera, action hero! (http://www.china.org.cn/english/LivinginChina/240376.htm)

"You can't change anyone with fists," Jerry Liau says, quoting the consummate kungfu star Bruce Lee. "Martial arts are about respect, not attack."

Born and raised in New York, the 20-year-old Chinese-American made his first trip to China last September as a contestant on The Disciple, a TV show backed by Jackie Chan to find young kungfu hopefuls and promote Chinese martial arts to the world.

Liau is one of the nearly 100,000 candidates attracted to kungfu stardom and a possible role in one of Chan's upcoming movies, according to Beijing TV Station (BTV), one of the organizers.

"I love performing. It would be great (starring in Chan's movies)," Liau says, "but it's also exciting to see real Chinese growing and living in the motherland."

There was culture shock, at first, when he was offered animals he doesn't normally eat at the dinner table.

"But my sifu (master) told me never fear to try," he says.

Shi Yanjie, one of the contestants, plays the guzheng at the talent show session.

Liau knew little about Chinese culture until, aged 10, he started to learn kungfu from his master, Henry Moy, to whom he was introduced by a friend. After two years, Liau became one of Moy's 60 disciples.

When he was 16, Liau's parents separated. The relationship with his master, he says, was like that of a father and son.

"There is a period in every boy's life when he is tempted to do something wrong, but my sifu kept me on the right path and taught me what it takes to be a real person."

Liau says his greatest influences are his parents, siblings and master. "You get support from them and you give back your support."

At kungfu school they looked up to Guangong, an ancient Chinese general. Moy also told him that martial arts are not about the strong beating the weak, but respect and patience.

"Kungfu also means time in Chinese. You have to train a lot before you gain," Liau says.

Another believer in "no pain no gain" is Jack Tu, a 23-year-old champion of many martial arts competitions, including the San Diego Grand National and Santa Clara Ultimate.

Raised in a family respecting the traditions of martial arts, Tu grew up on an island near Grouse Mountain in Richmond, Canada. As a young boy he exercised in the mountains every day. His father, also a kungfu master, told him not to harm living things, even grass, because martial arts should be used to protect the weak.

At home Tu was forced to speak Chinese, or his parents would yell at him. He learned calligraphy, ink painting and guqin, or Chinese piano. At first he was bored, but when he discovered the common things between music, calligraphy and martial arts, he started to enjoy it.

"Martial and arts cannot be separated. In Chinese culture they are connected. For example, playing Chinese piano needs a lot of concentration, but the rhythm should not stop. This is also the case with calligraphy."

Tu took part in The Disciple to interact with Chinese people, after practicing so long on his own in mountains and forests. "Friends call me monkey," he jokes.

The Disciple presents a visual feast of Chinese martial arts.

Three years ago, Tu broke his leg in a competition. He did not know whether he would be able to practice kungfu again. Instead of giving up, however, he tied chains on his upper body and ran with them. When he felt pain he tightened the chains.

"When I felt the pain, I felt how those beaten by me felt. I found what I thought before was stupid and childish," he says.

When he eventually recovered, he re-entered the competition and won five gold medals. He said he was not proud of beating others, but was proud instead of overcoming himself.

Shi Yanjie, 28, was a senior disciple in the Shaolin Kungfu Troupe. When he was 4, the mischievous boy made a broadsword out of iron sheeting and hit his brother, hurting his neck.

His parents sent him to the Shaolin temple in the hope that it would keep him well-behaved and give him life skills.

Each morning Shi would "rush the mountain" by running and crawling over it, whatever the weather. After a year his parents visited and he burst into tears when they were 30 m away.

"Shaolin temple is such an important place in my life. The masters not only make you exercise all the time, they will help you surpass yourself," Shi says.

Shi says his principles are: Don't attack others, even if they attack you; try to bear hardship; lead a simple life; remember there will always be someone stronger.

At 19, Shi left the troupe because he wanted to make more money to support his family. He set up his own group, does occasional TV shows and has created various signature kungfu moves.

The Disciple will give him more opportunity with big projects, he says.

Shi, Liau and Tu are good friends now. Naturally, most of the contestants competing to appear in the 36-person final are martial arts lovers. In the show's training camp, they exercise together and talk about their kungfu experiences.

"Maybe there will be another Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee or Jet Li among us - as Chan is hoping," Shi says. "But the important thing is, we are sharing what we've learned from martial arts spirit with more people."

(China Daily January 23, 2008)

doug maverick
01-23-2008, 11:25 AM
i'm ofcourse going for my boy jerry, i hope he wins this kid is amazing. he studies with sifu henry moy yee wing chun and shaolin. and he's also a fantastic break dancer. i met him when he was 16-17 and he came up to me after a show and asked me about being a fight choreagrapher.

GeneChing
01-25-2008, 04:06 PM
I just did a quick scan and didn't see this already posted. If it's redundant, then my bad. At least you can see the Disciple finalists here (http://long.btv.com.cn/long/index.htm).

LaylaConn
02-28-2008, 01:27 AM
Hm... For some reason, these links aren't working on my browser. Nevertheless, I'm sure Jack (Tu) did well on the show. Perhaps if my browser will actually start allowing me to visit these web pages, I can find out for sure.

Actually, as much as I think Philip (Sahagun) is really good, I'd put my money on Jack any day. Having seen his performances, I'd be shocked if he didn't make the final ten. My brother actually kept bugging me to try out for the show, so I kept having to remind him that I was both too young and couldn't speak Chinese. Dancing can only get you so far. :rolleyes:

By the way, does anyone happen to know who won "The Disciple" this year?

doug maverick
02-28-2008, 09:31 AM
nobody won yet. right now its down to the final sixteen. there training everyday under one of jackie chan's stunt members. if you want some updates, check out jerry liau's myspace:

jerry liau (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=51235473&MyToken=9ae0b533-19ce-4d18-8e5a-ef7a6de6212c)

LaylaConn
03-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the tip, sir. I don't understand why my browser won't load certain pages, but I'll certainly be pleased to find out the show's results via this medium. :)

LaylaConn
04-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Well, the official site's finally working on my browser, so I decided to check up on show thing were going. As far as I can tell, they have narrowed the contestants down to sixteen, and have begun the elimination process.

Now, there are fifteen.

I've only been able to watch the footage via YouTube, but so far I like what I see.

What do you think?

jackmcmanus21
04-08-2008, 07:18 AM
seems like a cool concept...there is a realty show for everyone and everything these days

LaylaConn
04-20-2008, 11:48 PM
Well... now there are thirteen. Although I am disappointed about the last two eliminations, I am glad to see that Jack's still in the race. Good luck to everyone still on the show! :)

doug maverick
04-21-2008, 07:17 AM
who got canned?

LaylaConn
04-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Well, according to the official site (http://long.btv.com.cn/long/index.htm), the people who've been eliminated so far are:

Gào Qián = http://long.btv.com.cn/long/2008-03/01/content_263271.htm

Dèng Chángchéng = http://long.btv.com.cn/long/2008-04/06/content_263200.htm

and most recently...

Hé Xiáng = http://long.btv.com.cn/long/2008-04/04/content_260586.htm

I'm a bit disappointed about the selections, but hopefully the others I'm still rooting for won't get "canned" as well.

What do you think?

doug maverick
05-21-2008, 08:59 PM
so it comes down to my boy jerry Vs gen's boy Jack. let the show down begin.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=2112216193

Shaolinlueb
05-22-2008, 11:01 AM
not too many people like jack tu, form what i heard he is very ****y.

jerry is a cool guy doug. my best of luck to him!

LaylaConn
05-26-2008, 11:26 PM
Although I don't know what "****y" is, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I've never met Jack in person, so for all I know, he might be a complete jerk. I honestly don't know. What I do know is that he's got awesome technique, and he's really fun to watch in competition. :D

As for Jerry, I've never met him either, but after watching a few of the videos he has posted on MySpace, he does appear to be a very nice guy. Not to mention his dance and martial skills are really freakin' good. :cool:

All in all, my favorite athlete is by far young Master Jack. However, that certainly doesn't mean I'm not rooting for Jerry as well. I think they both show promise as "action stars" and I'll root for them 'till the end. There are a few others I like as well, but those two are definitely my favorites. :)

doug maverick
05-27-2008, 11:50 AM
worked with him and known him since he was 17 i can say that he is Mr. humble. he has a level of respect that kids his age just don't have. and i'm sure sifu henry moy yee had alot to do with it. so even if he doesn't win i'm sure he'll land on his feet. he's got the talent the ability and more then all that the drive.

doug maverick
05-31-2008, 01:40 AM
just got word from my boy jerry, he's in the top 5 of the competition.

LaylaConn
06-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Fantastic! I knew he'd make it somehow. :D

Any idea as to who else made the cut?

doug maverick
06-02-2008, 05:56 AM
idk, but i'm sure that jack tu and xin the urban ninja are among them.

LaylaConn
06-02-2008, 10:03 PM
I'd be shocked if Jack didn't make the cut, but Xin's not on the show anymore. According to the official website ( http://long.btv.com.cn/long/index.htm ) he actually didn't make the final 16. :(

Anyway, I'd usually check the website myself, but it hasn't been updated in weeks. It's in Chinese, and although I can't read that, I usually either copy and paste the text onto a translator (I use: http://www.omniglot.com/links/translation.htm ), or copy and paste the characters: “龙的传人” into the search engine at: http://www.openv.tv/ when the that's not working. All the videos are in Chinese as well, but it's easy enough to see what's going on. ;)

I haven't a clue as to why either of the websites have yet to post anything about the "top 5" yet. But hopefully this will be fixed soon. Even so, I have a strong feeling that Jack and Jerry did in fact make the cut, and wish good luck to them on whatever goals they have yet to accomplish. :D

GeneChing
06-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Jack's dad, GM Tu Jin-Sheng (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39311), was here last week, leading a special week-long workshop. Mrs. Tu was here too. They were pretty proud of their son's achievements. There's some fresh pics of Jack and the other competitors on the walls now. I'm told they narrow down to three next, and it's all supposed to wrap in a month.

By the way, check out the new issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=865154). There's a pic of Julie, Jack's sister, on the inside front cover.

LaylaConn
06-03-2008, 10:33 PM
BRILLIANT!!! :D

The website I mentioned in my last entry still hasn't been updated yet, but hopefully they will soon. I'll bet Jack makes the "Top 3" as well. :)

GeneChing
06-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Reality shows have been on hold because of all the catastrophes in China. Disciple was originally scheduled to conclude this month, but now, it's been pushed back. Of course, this too is subject to change.

LaylaConn
06-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Well, July 28th's as good a guess as any. I just heard from Jerry that the final episode (scheduled to air live) has been moved to late July for the very reasons you suggested.

GeneChing
06-30-2008, 09:23 AM
I gotta amend that... :o
Now I'm hearing that it'll be Sept 27th, after a 2nd round. I guess we'll know how it goes when we see it.

doug maverick
07-02-2008, 01:24 AM
sux for jerry. on his myspace blog jery talked about doing a tv show out there in september. poor guys never coming back to the states.

GeneChing
07-18-2008, 10:49 AM
I'm hearing that there are seven left, which will be narrowed down to five winners. I thought there were only five left. I just heard from an agent of one of the other finalists, not Jack or Jerry. It was a cold call and he told me his boy won. I was like, it's not over. But then, reality shows are always a little suspect.

GeneChing
07-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Here are some links. They made a short film titled the Game as part of the competition.

Clips of The Game (http://www.openv.com/play/BTV1prog_20080720_6394581_0.html)

more clips (http://www.openv.com/ls.php?q=%E9%BE%8D%E7%9A%84%E5%82%B3%E4%BA%BA&fg=box&t=0)

GeneChing
07-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Here's an extended clip of Jack Tu's work in Disciple (http://www.openv.com/play/BTV1prog_20080720_6395242_0.html). I'm sure there's one for each of the guys, but I didn't dig for Jerry's.

LaylaConn
07-24-2008, 12:48 AM
Fantastic! Jack's always fun to watch and I wish him the best of luck during the final rounds. The program may have finished filming already, but I don't care. Jaiyo, Jack!

Since I'm also rooting for Jerry, I found the URL to his "Disciple" vignette (below) just as Gene did for Jack. I think I particularly liked the way he handled the more complicated stunts and being set on fire! :D

http://www.openv.com/play/BTV1prog_20080720_6395205_0.html

I tried to find the OpenV vid showcasing the most recent episode of the disciple (it featured a special vignette for every one of the five finalists), but that one appears to have been removed. I can't understand a word of the dialogue, but I can basically work out what's going on. The skits're fun to watch, especially the ones where Jerry looks supercool and Jack appears to be high on speed. Seriously, that guy's so fast, I can hardly tell what he's doing sometimes. :cool:

What did the rest of you think of the latest turnout?

GeneChing
07-25-2008, 10:08 AM
...this Sunday! It's supposed to happen on the Great Wall. One will be chosen. I still have my money on Jack (but I'm biased and you all know that).

LaylaConn
07-25-2008, 05:49 PM
That makes sense. I just read on Facebook that Jack will be holding a wushu seminar on the 3rd of August, but I couldn't understand how he would do something like that if he were in Beijing. With that in mind, I assumed that they'd probably finished filming the last episode by now, but since it'll be filmed live, that would be highly improbable. Anyway, I assume that once this episode is finished, the contestants will be permitted to return to their homes for a time. Jerry usually posts updates on a regular basis, but I haven't heard anything from him as of yet. Since Jack hardly ever updates his sites, it tends to stand out whenever he does post something.

I'm still rooting for Jack N' Jerry, so I hope things turn out the way I've intended. I'll be checking this site come Sunday night for updates. ;)

LaylaConn
07-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Well, as Marlin and Dory so eloquently put it (with my editorial work) in "Finding Nemo":

"He did it! He did it! Oh, yeah yeah yeah! He made it to the top! Wooo...!
...Made it to the top! He really made it to the top! He's the Disciple!" LOL

Jack Tu is officially the winner of "The Disciple"! I swear, if I ever bothered to bet some real money on this guy, I'd make a fortune! I knew that kid was good the first time I saw him! :D

Jerry did an incredible job too! He got third place as well as a most improved award! Aiya! :D

Check this out if you want proof: http://long.btv.com.cn/long/index.htm http://ent.qq.com/a/20080727/000085.htm http://www.zs-114.com/commercehtm/2008-07-27/20080727092744.htm

I'll post some videos of the event once I've found them. Jaiyo and have a fantastic day! :)

doug maverick
07-28-2008, 12:44 AM
according to wu-jing.org, the three will be staring in three films togather with jack playing the lead and the other to supporting. and all three will be leads in a tv show. stanly tong and peter pau are set to produce the films for more info:

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/541-Jackie-Chan-Names-Jack-Tu-His-Disciple.html

doug maverick
07-28-2008, 01:04 AM
i met jerry through his sifu, henry moy yee and my sigung (who technically is not my sigung, since i haven't trained under his student in 10 years) tak wah eng. he was 17 and doing choreagraphy with his kung fu brother and sister. i gave him his first shot to do choreagraphy in a short film i did called "the hit". and liked it so much i brang him back to do choreagraphy and play a bit role in my feature film "under the gun", he gets shot and killed in the film by the rival hitman of his older brother in the film. you can see some samples of jerry's choreagraphy in the trailer here:http://youtube.com/watch?v=t8FOIe6N-rU

between 00:58 and 1:05 is some of jerry's stuff. don't want to spam as i have the trailer and footage on another thread. but i'll just post the trailer her anyway(forgive me for that gene)

LaylaConn
07-28-2008, 01:38 AM
Now I'm ECSTATIC! :D

Thanks for the link, Doug. At first I thought it was just Jack who got to take part in the films. I'm glad to know that I was wrong. This is terrific for Jerry and the rest of the "disciples"! :)

I'm very happy to see that Jack earned his place in the final. This was so obviously his year - being a Rat and all. I always thought there was something special about that kid. ;)

BTW, I really liked Jerry's choreography. It actually looked pretty convincing. Love the hair. :)

Jaiyo to Jack, Jerry, and all the Disciples! I can hardly wait to see what happens with the films. :D

GeneChing
07-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Here's a link to a news report on the finale (http://www.openv.com/play/BTV2prog_20080728_6412234_0.html).

We're so proud of Jack here. Gigi will see him and the Tu family next week at our Tiger Claw Elite Qualifier (http://www.tigerclawelite.com/) at the Long Beach Internationals (http://www.longbeachikc.com/). They're doing a special seminar, including Jack's dad's (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39311) new student, Crystal Liu Yifei (Golden Sparrow in Forbidden Kingdom (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=765)). If you're interested in attending, contact Jack's sister, Julie at 1-626-215-7970 (and say 'hi' to Julie from us! ;))

I think now's a good time to remind all of our article on Jack in our 2005 November/December issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=624): Is Wushu a Dying Art? - Champion Jack Tu Speaks Out By John Brown.

doug maverick
07-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Now I'm ECSTATIC! :D

Thanks for the link, Doug. At first I thought it was just Jack who got to take part in the films. I'm glad to know that I was wrong. This is terrific for Jerry and the rest of the "disciples"! :)

I'm very happy to see that Jack earned his place in the final. This was so obviously his year - being a Rat and all. I always thought there was something special about that kid. ;)

BTW, I really liked Jerry's choreography. It actually looked pretty convincing. Love the hair. :)

Jaiyo to Jack, Jerry, and all the Disciples! I can hardly wait to see what happens with the films. :D

yeah jerry did a pretty nice job. the hair you were speaking of belongs to the films star shyaporn theerakulstit, and yes its his real hair.

on a side note i don't think i said this but congratulation's to young jack(he's like the same age as i am what th hell do i mean young) i'm glad that 2 of the top three were from the us. there's a big story in that gene. maybe the ides are going to turn and the next crop of hong kong action stars are going to come from the states.

LaylaConn
07-30-2008, 10:28 PM
We're so proud of Jack here. Gigi will see him and the Tu family next week at our Tiger Claw Elite Qualifier at the Long Beach Internationals. They're doing a special seminar, including Jack's dad's new student, Crystal Liu Yifei (Golden Sparrow in Forbidden Kingdom). If you're interested in attending, contact Jack's sister, Julie at 1-626-215-7970 (and say 'hi' to Julie from us! )

I think now's a good time to remind all of our article on Jack in our 2005 November/December issue: Is Wushu a Dying Art? - Champion Jack Tu Speaks Out By John Brown.

I can certainly see why you guys would be so proud of Jack. Hell, I am and I don't even know him. I hope he's able to demonstrate at the LBGI and somebody posts it on YouTube. He's probably too good for that now, but I'd be disappointed if he didn't.

Crystal Liu trains with GM Tu? What a lucky girl! His kids are all such good athletes, I can only imagine how quickly and efficiently she could learn from him with her background as a dancer. Is she demonstrating as well, or will she only be there to make an appearance?

Thanks for providing the KFM link, but I read that one on Jack's site about a year back. My philosophy on martial arts is so like his, it's not even funny. The fact that "...everybody can be fancy, but if there's no power, it's pointless..." certainly explains why his demonstrative forms always look so so convincing - and therefore fun to watch. :)

It's a pity I can't get there in time, otherwise I'd love to compete at the LBGI. Perhaps next year...

By the way, I just found these webpages (below) and thought you guys might like to see them too (I wish I knew what Jackie was saying). Jaiyo! :D

http://ent.sina.com.cn/m/2008-07-30/ba2120451.shtml
http://www.openv.com/play/BTV2prog_20080731_6419055_0.html
http://www.openv.com/play/BTV2prog_20080731_6419830_0.html

LaylaConn
08-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Just thought you guys might like to see this too. He really compliments Jack and the others in this one. :)

http://www.jackiechan.com/blog/240286--The-Disciple--Awaiting-the-Olympics

@PLUGO
08-19-2008, 11:17 AM
KFM has just posted the coverage (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=781) which was featured in this year's May/June issue.

GeneChing
08-19-2008, 03:56 PM
WHEN: Saturday, August 23rd, 2 PM

WHERE: U.S.A. Wu Chi Kung Fu Academy
40924 Fremont Blvd.,
Fremont, CA 94538
510-226-6813 or 510-676-9381
www.wuchikungfu.com

On July 27, 2008, Jackie Chan formally accepted a disciple for the first time. The honor was bestowed upon Jack Tu, who won the position from a pool of 100,000 applicants in a highly-publicized worldwide search in an immensely popular Chinese reality show, Jackie Chan’s The Disciple. The show was a joint production by China's BTV, Jackie Chan Film Corporation, China Film Group Corporation and Emperor Group.

Jack qualified for Jackie Chan’s The Disciple during the American auditions held last year in Fremont and San Jose, CA. These auditions were supported by the Tiger Claw Foundation, Chinese Performing Artists of America (CPAA), U.S.A. O-Mei Kung Fu Academy and U.S.A. Wu Chi Kung Fu Academy. This Saturday, Jack Tu returns to the Bay Area to celebrate his victory.

Join Jack Tu and his family for a meet-and-greet, along with a private screening of the finale episode of The Disciple. Jack will speak on his experiences during the contest and will be available for interviews and photos. Jack returns to China the following day to begin his tutelage under Jackie Chan, starting with filming his debut movie, Speedpost 206. He is already contracted for two others, Won’t Tell You and Tropical Tornado.

Refreshments provided.

For more information, see Jackie Chan's Disciples Bear the Torch (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=758) by John Brown in 2008 May/June issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=758) of Kung Fu Tai Chi magazine.

In cooperation with www.jacktu.com, www.cpaaartscenter.com, www.wuchikungfu.com, www.usaomei.com, www.TigerClawFoundation.org, www.ironcrotch.com and KungFuMagazine.com

For more information, contact Gigi Oh of the Tiger Claw Foundation.
510-656-5100 X141
www.TigerClawFoundation.org

GeneChing
08-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Chao Bao, Ming Bao, World Journal, Washington Chinese News, Atlanta Chinese News also ran stories in Chinese.

Fremont martial arts student becomes his idol's disciple (http://www.insidebayarea.com/search/ci_10292766?IADID=Search-www.insidebayarea.com-www.insidebayarea.com)
By Rob Dennis
The Argus
Article Last Updated: 08/25/2008 06:55:35 AM PDT

FREMONT — Jack Tu was only 3 years old when his father's friend Jet Li visited their home in Taiwan. But the youngster was so taken with the Chinese martial arts champion and action film icon that he immediately announced his intention to become a movie star.

"Perhaps someday your dream will come true," replied his father.

Now it has.

Tu, now 23 and a student at USA Wu Chi Kung Fu Academy in Fremont's Irvington neighborhood, was chosen last month from among 200,000 contenders in a worldwide search for the "disciple" of another major Chinese action star, Jackie Chan.

"In China, everyone calls him Big Brother," Tu said of Chan. "He's very caring "... he always gives what he has. That really inspires me."

After speaking Saturday to about 50 fans at the Fremont academy, Tu returned to China on Sunday to begin his tutelage under Chan. Next month he will start shooting his debut movie, "Speedpost 206," produced by Chan. He is scheduled to co-star with Chan in another movie, and has a 30-episode action-drama in the pipeline.

Chan also plans to teach Tu about film editing and post-production — useful training for a budding director who wants to make movies promoting Chinese culture and art, with an environmentally conscious message.

"I grew up in mountains, I grew up in forest, so I feel very close to the environment," Tu said.

Tu's journey began in the mountains of Taiwan's Yangmingshan National Park,
Advertisement
with its cherry blossoms, hot springs and hiking trails. The same year he met Li, Tu began studying wushu, an exhibition form of kung fu resembling gymnastics with martial arts stances, kicks, jumps and sweeps.

"Wushu is motion art," Tu said. "You're painting the floor with your movement." Tu began training with the Taiwanese national team when he was 5, grinding away at a grueling dawn-to-dusk schedule every day. By age 10, he was wrapping himself in 40- to 80-pound chains as part of his training regimen.

"My original motivation was not to turn my son into a movie star," Tu's father, qigong grandmaster Tu Jin-Sheng, said through an interpreter. "It was to make him stronger and better "... enlightened and kind."

The family immigrated to Vancouver when Tu was 10, and then moved to San Jose eight years later. He began training at the Fremont academy two years ago, and also attends De Anza College in Cupertino, where he's studying biochemistry. He trains before and after classes on weekdays and three times a day on weekends.

Still, he was taken aback by the rigorous challenges he had to overcome to become Chan's disciple.

The search took the form of a Chinese reality TV show, "Jackie Chan's The Disciple." Its opening episodes were essentially a talent contest, with Tu displaying his skills at Chinese piano, calligraphy and martial arts.

Once the field had been winnowed from its original 128 to 16, however, things got more strenuous.

The final contestants were put up in a small house together in Beijing, stripped of all their possessions and cut off from the outside world. Then they were presented with one scary challenge after another.

Jump off a 10-meter diving platform? Check. Crash a car? Check. Get set on fire? Um, check.

Every episode "it got more dangerous," Tu said. "They never tell you what you're going to do; they never tell you what you have to prepare for."

Finally, after a year of competition, Tu stood among the final three contestants for a grand ceremony July 26 at the Great Wall of China. Renowned Chinese directors John Woo and Hark Tsui were among the stars present to announce the winners.

Ultimately, a bemused Tu was dragged forward by Chan, who presented him with a dinner plate-sized gold medal and a large scroll that Chan had been given by his own father. Loosely translated, the calligraphy reads, "Never give up." "I was totally blank," Tu said. "I don't even know what I'm thinking. That day was very exciting." It didn't take long, though, for the wheels to start turning again.

"I started planning what I should do in the picture," he said.

"Everything I did paid off there, and I was thinking: This is not the end. This is just the beginning."

doug maverick
09-05-2008, 07:14 AM
i just wrote a whole bunch of stuff about what i'm about to talk about and the freaking site logged me out for some reason and i have to write this all over again and i'm livid gene LIVID!!!!!

anyway to side track the story from jack tu for a bit. Lets talk about Coweb which just wrapped and stars another runner up of the disciple show jiang lu xia who who stared in this film by first time director xin xin xiong(club foot from the OUATIC series. got the dope on this film on wu-jing.org (http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/550-Coweb-Jiang-Lu-Xia-Stars-in-Xiong-Xin-Xins-First-Film-as-a-Director.html) from what i can see it looks like a hong kong version of chocolate(holy Sh!t Balls hong kong is copying thailand) the story isn't nothing new but it does look interesting, the fights are little to kick heavy for me but hey what do u expect from a guy whose nick name is club foot the film also looks to be shot in digital(albeit with a crappy digital camera, come on china panasonic hvx with 35mm adapter step ya game up please!!). as for jiang luxia (miss. jiang if your nasty) she was one of the 16 finalist in the jackie chan disciple show you actually chick out some her short films under the name kitty darling (http://www.tudou.com/home/user_programs.php?userID=2563120&page=1) i haven't watched any of the films bu from what i see of Co Web (http://www.coweb.hk/yingpianhuaxu.html) she looks half way decent good even. hopefully we get to see more of her.

and in other disciple news looks like the finalist will be staring in a 30ep mini series based on a modern day shoalin temple, cathc the info over here (http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/552-Jackie-Chan-Prepares-Shaolin-Temple-Drama-Serial-For-The-Disciple-Candidates.html)

ok i did alot of leg work for something that only two people are going to read so hope you guys apreciated. hey gene how about an E-zine article featuring the two US winners, or even all three.

bakxierboxer
09-05-2008, 08:42 AM
ok i did alot of leg work for something that only two people are going to read so hope you guys apreciated.

OK... I read it.
Thanks for your labors!

Dat's one!

Shaolinlueb
09-05-2008, 11:45 AM
jack tu? bleh. sorry, but he probably won cause of who his father is.

but, good for him. hope he makes the most out of this opportunity.

GeneChing
09-10-2008, 09:18 AM
...then again, maybe Jackie wanted some free lessons. :rolleyes:

Jack is a friend. I've watched him grow up over the last few years. As for an e-zine article on the winners, well, anyone remember who came in second after Michael Phelps? I've been approached by an agent by one of the runner up contestants, who first called me to tell me that his person won. That was before it was even over. Talk about a faux pas. That person (who I won't name out of professional courtesy) needs a new agent.

Here's my interview with Jackie Chan's Disciple Jack Tu (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=784). You'll find more about what's happening with the Shaolin TV series, Jackie's and Jack's upcoming projects, as well as the other runner ups.

doug maverick
09-10-2008, 12:16 PM
...then again, maybe Jackie wanted some free lessons. :rolleyes:

Jack is a friend. I've watched him grow up over the last few years. As for an e-zine article on the winners, well, anyone remember who came in second after Michael Phelps? I've been approached by an agent by one of the runner up contestants, who first called me to tell me that his person won. That was before it was even over. Talk about a faux pas. That person (who I won't name out of professional courtesy) needs a new agent.

Here's my interview with Jackie Chan's Disciple Jack Tu (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=784). You'll find more about what's happening with the Shaolin TV series, Jackie's and Jack's upcoming projects, as well as the other runner ups.

i just hope that films that come out of JC are not kiddie films, i understand trying to have broad appeal but come on the slap stick stuff is dead. jackie company needs to something along the lines of what wilson yip and donnie do. something more edgy hardcore. idk thats just me thinking out loud. i'm looking at something like Coweb and wondering if jackie would do something like that. oh well who knows. i kinda lost interest in the whole thing a little bit before the winner was anounced(dispite the fact that i had a freidn in the comp) also gene let me break you down for a min ute. while no body remembers who one after michael phelps this was not the martial arts olympics it was a reality show. and if american idol has taught us anything ists that second place is just as good and sometimes better then winning first.

doug maverick
09-10-2008, 04:39 PM
i just wanted to say that i'm still happy at the fact that two of three winners and the overall winner was american. it proves something but i'm not gonna say what everyones thinking it.

GeneChing
09-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Past reality show stars do have potential. However, we don't really cover 'potential', we cover achievement. It's worthy of note that Jack Tu did well in the previous reality show, K-Star (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39272), but he didn't win, so I didn't bother with an interview on it. Nor did I go after the winner, for that matter. It didn't seem as newsworthy. That being said, I don't mean to disrespect Jerry or Ms. Jiang. If you are interested in covering them, query me (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/about/guidelines.php).

doug maverick
09-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Past reality show stars do have potential. However, we don't really cover 'potential', we cover achievement. It's worthy of note that Jack Tu did well in the previous reality show, K-Star (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39272), but he didn't win, so I didn't bother with an interview on it. Nor did I go after the winner, for that matter. It didn't seem as newsworthy. That being said, I don't mean to disrespect Jerry or Ms. Jiang. If you are interested in covering them, query me (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/about/guidelines.php).

actually i'm not. and had that article with jack come out before i posted the commen. then i would have never mentioned it. jack's the winner and deserves the spotlight(congrats to him, hope his acting improves thou :( ) i thought you weren't gonna do any coverage on it because like you mentioned you didn't do anything for K-star(it wasn't newsworthy at all so good call gene). we will see what becomes of these kids hopefully all good things, fame is a b!tch and she's cruel and harsh and and can kick you out of the lime light whenever she see's fit. you personal life if gone(like at ED chen) i hear its way worse in asia than in the states. i can't wait to see the films that jack talked about and if they suck i cn't wait to crucify them and if their good praise them.

GeneChing
09-16-2008, 09:37 AM
And had Jerry won, I would have asked you Doug, to do an interview for us.

Here's a Jackie news piece that ties into the Disciple. It confirms the Shaolin TV show. I'm curious if Jerry is one of the three?

Jackie Chan Named Honorary Professor by U.S. College (http://english.cri.cn/3086/2008/09/04/1261s402111.htm)
2008-09-04 13:05:49

Hong Kong action superstar Jackie Chan has been awarded an honorary professorship by an American art school, Savannah College of Art and Design.

Chan accepted the honor at a ceremony held in Hong Kong on Wednesday, Sina.com.cn reports.

The purpose of crowning him an honorary professor is to commend his contributions to education and charity work worldwide, the report says.

Chan will sponsor the three top winners of the competition "The Disciple," which was jointly launched by Chan and Beijing Television to scout for upcoming action talents, to study at the college.

Chan also revealed a plan to produce a new television series about the Shaolin Temple in October.
Savannah College of Art and Design (http://www.scad.edu/)

doug maverick
09-16-2008, 12:28 PM
well he just went back to china a week or so ago, so maybe. if he has to go back to college i know he's going to be P.O.'d, now i have to send him a message pointing my finger and laughing. no but seriously i think he mentioned something about the tv show(i think, i tried to talk to him about other things then the disciple stuff, he had like a million people talking to him about it.). i remember we we talked about doing a play about wong fei hung, with him as Wong (this was before disciples and during the comp when they had a break), but my schedule was all tied up and now his is. so weather we do that or not all the depends on the timing.

doug maverick
11-13-2008, 03:09 PM
hung yan yan is interviewed by hong kong cinemagic about coweb the film that features jackie chan disciple alumni jiang lu xia: Coweb (http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/page.asp?aid=294&page=1)

GeneChing
09-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Somehow, I don't think this is a JCE project.

The Forgotten Jewel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pu4YityMh0)

SPJ
12-28-2009, 09:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqXAx8f-Qpg&feature=fvw

yuan family Chinese drama/theatrical school.

recognise any one you know.

:cool:

SPJ
12-28-2009, 09:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dusjnl0rEc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mglsoFi1rk4&feature=related

new 7 disciples.

:)

SPJ
12-28-2009, 10:01 AM
wushu stunts/performance reality show

Disciple to select the new lucky 7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqmFduagL-I&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYTxbepHfkY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfmGiApTvrw&feature=related

SPJ
12-28-2009, 10:02 AM
I meant WOW.

SPJ
12-28-2009, 10:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJL5jutm9PQ&feature=related

wushu durnken sword entering the show.

SPJ
12-28-2009, 10:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn3s5-w3c2I&feature=related

jack tu @ MTV for si chuan quake relief.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjHy7kb2kIU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e8M_oMW4zo&feature=related

jack tu 2 @ disciple.

yes. I meant WOW.

speechless--

doug maverick
12-28-2009, 10:32 PM
my boy jerry liau...won third place on that thing. he is the third closest to jackie on the right side.

charp choi
01-03-2010, 01:50 PM
The Seven Little Fortunes. There were actually about 14 (stand ins etc).
Good to see Sammo and Yuen Wah on there. Sammo used most of them (Yuen Biao, Corey Yuen, Yuen Tak, Yuen Bun, Yuen Wah, Yuen Mo, Meng Yuen Man) in his action team during the 1970's and 80's(plus guys from the other opera school run by Madam Fan Fok Fa) and the movies he did with Jackie.
There was a Shaw Bros movie from the late 80's called "Painted Faces" that is based on Yu Jim Yuens opera school.
Worth a watch.

doug maverick
01-04-2010, 03:46 AM
actually i think that was a golden harvest film, with sammo hung playing the yu jim yuen himself.

charp choi
01-04-2010, 10:56 AM
actually i think that was a golden harvest film, with sammo hung playing the yu jim yuen himself.

Might have been but I am sure it was on the Celestial Shaw Bros release schedule a while back.

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.543085/qx/details.htm

Some good roles in there too. Cheng Pei Pei as Madame Fan Fok Fa and a nice role for Lam Ching Ying too. Love the fact that the "Jackie" character is called "big nose" :D

It appears to be a co-production:

Leonard Ho (Golden Harvest)
Mona Fong (Shaw Bros)

doug maverick
01-05-2010, 02:34 PM
it was def. golden harvest...idk why it was on some celestial shaw bros. guess they figured people wouldnt care.

GeneChing
01-06-2010, 11:01 AM
They are here with Jackie Chan, who was on a float for the Shanghai World Expo (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55355) in the Rose Parade. I heard they were headed to Las Vegas for more Expo promotion.

I also heard Jackie was going to be on Conan this Thursday, probably for Spy Next Door (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51786).

doug maverick
01-06-2010, 02:55 PM
going out tonight with jerry who is in ny for a few days,

GeneChing
01-08-2010, 11:00 AM
I just posted the Rose Parade footage on the Shaolin Haibao & Shanghai 2010 World Expo thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=982406#post982406) (no sign of the disciples).

I also posted Jackie on Conan on the Spy Next Door thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51786).

He was on the People's Choice awards too. I would have watched but when I tuned in, Queen Latifah kept going 'woo!' and that put me off.

EternalSpring
07-28-2011, 08:36 AM
i met jerry through his sifu, henry moy yee and my sigung (who technically is not my sigung, since i haven't trained under his student in 10 years) tak wah eng. he was 17 and doing choreagraphy with his kung fu brother and sister. i gave him his first shot to do choreagraphy in a short film i did called "the hit". and liked it so much i brang him back to do choreagraphy and play a bit role in my feature film "under the gun", he gets shot and killed in the film by the rival hitman of his older brother in the film. you can see some samples of jerry's choreagraphy in the trailer here:http://youtube.com/watch?v=t8FOIe6N-rU

between 00:58 and 1:05 is some of jerry's stuff. don't want to spam as i have the trailer and footage on another thread. but i'll just post the trailer her anyway(forgive me for that gene)

oh wow, I was there for the viewing of that film in the city w/ Jerry! Small world! Reading old threads here is def very interesting!

edit: also, if anyone wants they can see Jerry and others playing some minor roles in Little Big Soldier

GeneChing
04-12-2012, 11:30 AM
CCTV4 has a 14 min report/interview with Jack Tu

[华人世界]华人故事:功夫路上的快客 涂圣成(20120412) (http://news.cntv.cn/20120412/113167.shtml)

enoajnin
04-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Glad to see the English sub-titles. My Chinese is pretty rusty. Or as we like to say here in Los Angeles, non-existent.

GeneChing
03-12-2013, 09:05 AM
What's it like being Jackie Chan's disciple for half a decade? Read Jack Tu: Jackie Chan's Disciple in 2013 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1086) by Gene Ching

GeneChing
06-25-2015, 11:16 AM
Here's an exclusive extra from our JULY+AUGUST 2015 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=1224) Cover Story. Read Jack Tu: Jackie Chan’s Disciple in 2015: Part 1: Eye on the Gate (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1231) by Gene Ching.

GeneChing
07-02-2015, 10:14 AM
Here's an exclusive extra from our JULY+AUGUST 2015 Cover Story. Read Jack Tu: Jackie Chan’s Disciple in 2015: Part 2: Chollywood (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1232)by Gene Ching.