Just curious on the numbers.

golden arhat
04-11-2007, 02:40 PM
u dont take into account the people that
train at home and at a school etc

i didnt vote

Emeraldphoenix
04-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Yeah, i guess i assume if you go to a school for instructions you should be working it on your own time.

But thanks for the help.

SevenStar
04-11-2007, 04:05 PM
you can pick multiple answers, dude. Just pick all that apply to you.

golden arhat
04-11-2007, 04:23 PM
my bad

sorry

David Jamieson
04-12-2007, 09:38 AM
what about those of us who used to train in schools and in privates but now maintain and cross train with friends, peers and others?

we're not all whippersnappers you know. lol

Black Jack II
04-12-2007, 09:42 AM
what about those of us who used to train in schools and in privates but now maintain and cross train with friends, peers and others?

That looks like number four. That is what I put down for the same reason you just stated.

Emeraldphoenix
04-12-2007, 10:09 AM
that is actually what i am trying to see. I think that there are alot of practitioners that get to a certain level and do just what you are doing.

Emeraldphoenix
04-12-2007, 10:14 AM
I also think i should have made an option I DONT TRAIN AT ALL I JUST POSE LIKE I DO.:eek:

neilhytholt
04-12-2007, 10:36 AM
I also think i should have made an option I DONT TRAIN AT ALL I JUST POSE LIKE I DO.:eek:

Hey, does raising donuts from the plate to your mouth count as training?

PangQuan
04-12-2007, 10:47 AM
only if you eat at least 1000 in one setting.

neilhytholt
04-12-2007, 10:49 AM
only if you eat at least 1000 in one setting.

I couldn't do that. Maybe they could have a "just complains instead of training" option. LOL

PangQuan
04-12-2007, 10:50 AM
well if you ask this guy, he might be able to set you up witha good training program that involves eating.

he is the best in the world after all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeru_Kobayashi

neilhytholt
04-12-2007, 10:53 AM
well if you ask this guy, he might be able to set you up witha good training program that involves eating.

he is the best in the world after all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeru_Kobayashi

Question is, how do they stay so skinny? Do they go puke it all out?

But seriously and on topic, your comments about not being fun to beat yourself up alone are right on. I don't know how to find training partners that won't just turn it into social hour or try to make you do their stuff. I don't think I have time to start a class.

PangQuan
04-12-2007, 11:03 AM
i know that guy works out alot. hes actually really ripped if you see him flex.

but he has a medical condition which actually allows him to eat more. something about being able to expand his stomach further down past what normal people can do. that why hes doubled all the past records for those contests.

Ive decided im just going to go to places that fight.

im still relatively young. ive decided i need to get as much fighting in as i can while i am young . you know, before i get old and take a lot longer to heal. I need to get it in while i still can.

Emeraldphoenix
04-12-2007, 11:10 AM
I just think i am a kung fu crackhead.. I study at a school but a buddy of mine is the same so we found a cheap space and now we work out 6 days a week.

1000 reps of dougnuts is fine as long as you are using internal chi eating methods.:)

neilhytholt
04-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Ive decided im just going to go to places that fight.

im still relatively young. ive decided i need to get as much fighting in as i can while i am young . you know, before i get old and take a lot longer to heal. I need to get it in while i still can.

You know, all the shows with the UFC fighters, most of them have private muay thai / kickboxing / boxing trainers.

Why aren't there any private TMA trainers? You know, people you can just go do drills and apps with.

neilhytholt
04-12-2007, 11:15 AM
I just think i am a kung fu crackhead.. I study at a school but a buddy of mine is the same so we found a cheap space and now we work out 6 days a week.

Wow ... that's good for you.

Emeraldphoenix
04-12-2007, 11:24 AM
it is hard to find people that are willing to get busy and work hard.

pan, Just go visit other school be polite and respectful and they will let you spar. just make sure you are in good shape cuz they will throw their best at you. but there is alot to learn from a good ass whooping. I have more respect for the guy that gets his clock cleaned and keeps going back for more.

SanHeChuan
04-12-2007, 01:35 PM
:confused: Wait, why would you rent a space for just you and your buddy to work out in?
You still go to your school right?
How long do you work out together?

PangQuan
04-12-2007, 01:40 PM
:confused: Wait, why would you rent a space for just you and your buddy to work out in?
You still go to your school right?
How long do you work out together?

I can see this happening. Not a lot of schools offer training 6-7 days a week, and may not allow you to use the facilities on off class times.

renting a space with a MA friend is a great idea to keep the ability to have a MA focused location to keep training on your schools off time.

PangQuan
04-12-2007, 01:50 PM
it is hard to find people that are willing to get busy and work hard.

pan, Just go visit other school be polite and respectful and they will let you spar. just make sure you are in good shape cuz they will throw their best at you. but there is alot to learn from a good ass whooping. I have more respect for the guy that gets his clock cleaned and keeps going back for more.

for sure.

headed down here on monday to check it out.

http://www.pdxwingchun.com/

Emeraldphoenix
04-12-2007, 01:57 PM
check out my space has some shots of our gym. Kung fu class is just that. we like to fight and try to apply everything in live traing. the gym just adds more to my kung fu. you can punch at the air all you like but hitting bags and live targets gives you a whole different type of training.

Emeraldphoenix
04-12-2007, 01:58 PM
good, let me know how you do.

xcakid
04-12-2007, 02:09 PM
u dont take into account the people that
train at home and at a school etc

That would describe me.

I actually take Shaolin Long Fist formally in a kwoon. I train in my garage on my own. As well as teach a few close friends in Arnis.

Emeraldphoenix
04-12-2007, 02:11 PM
See your a kung fu crack head like me and if you look at the poll you will see we are not alone.:)

xcakid
04-12-2007, 02:14 PM
See your a kung fu crack head like me and if you look at the poll you will see we are not alone.:)

Yep, jack of all trades(styles) master of none. :D

I was off the KF Crack for 12yrs though. Fell of the wagon just recently.

Emeraldphoenix
04-12-2007, 02:17 PM
that's a good fall:eek:

neilhytholt
04-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Any recommendations on finding somebody that wants to train, though, and not just chat and stuff?

Also, how do you deal with liability on a place like that, did you get some kind of slip and fall policy?

Emeraldphoenix
04-12-2007, 02:29 PM
just net work, you have got to have some friends that are like minded. heck post on here for your area wharehouse space is cheap if you look around. " build it and they will come" we welcome all styles if it works in a fight then its good enough for us most everbody has something to share. Our 1 friend is a boxer another body builder me and my guy do 7* and we have a few people that just like to come work out and hit the bags. anything is possible just make it happen.

our waiver is like 3 pages long. plus is private club only. not open to the public.

Royal Dragon
04-12-2007, 04:02 PM
I am trying to form a small club to practice at the local park near me. I have a few guys what are interested (We will see if work permits though), one bounces, so i think I have a samll seed of something...we will see if I can keep it alive or not.

David Jamieson
04-12-2007, 05:00 PM
I'll tell you one thing, it is difficult to find people who want to train on a steady basis and in a progressive manner.

It's taken about 5 years to get together with a few guys and only one of them trains with me on a totally consistent basis. One other guy has been with us both for almost 2 years and there is a new guy.

i've seen more guys just drop it after a couple of dozen sessions though and it takes a while before you can get up to banging with a little gusto.

Anyway, if you are going to go the route of outta school and still wanna train, best be patient cause you are gonna run into guys who want to train but don't or can't be consistent and that will drag on your own progression.

Make sure you have a plan that can carry you through those times.

fight clubs are just injury barrels waiting to get filled. Better to train smart.

SanHeChuan
04-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Luckily I have two guys at my school who did MA before to train with when we don't have class. It's cool because we all have different backs grounds pushing 10 years, and we all have the same goal. One did Wing chun, the other Chen tai chi, and we are all just trying to get better at mantis.

We just practice on shaded BBall court at a middle school.

Emeraldphoenix
04-13-2007, 12:38 AM
C'mon guys its only a click of the button. 2 seconds to help out.

MasterKiller
04-13-2007, 07:17 AM
C'mon guys its only a click of the button. 2 seconds to help out.

No one else here actually trains.

BraveMonkey
04-13-2007, 09:03 AM
I work out a lot on my own, but when I'm at the school I know that the people I work with respect me and I respect them. We trust each other to watch out for safety but still give our best. I know that they are there to learn and improve and they know the same is true of me. With respect and understanding comes safety. Sure, we still get hurt, but at least we trust each other not to intentionally cause injury or to continue to attack once injury has occurred.

Finding other people that you feel that good about working with is not easy. You don't want to hook up with an eager partner who blows out your knee because he "warned" you that he wasn't going to hold back. On the flip side, you also don't want to mix it up with somebody who is going to whine because you aren't following the "rules" that they are used to. My advice would be to find other schools and talk to the instructor first. If he or she promotes an environment of respect you will increase your chances of finding a higher quality of partner there. Not everybody is willing to face the intimidation that comes with facing off with a new and unfamiliar opponent, but those who are probably want to learn just as much as you do.

If nothing else, at least ask the opinions of other MA-ers you trust and be sure to communicate your expectations very clearly with anyone you choose to work with.

Emeraldphoenix
04-13-2007, 09:23 AM
I knew i should have put that down as an option:eek:

Emeraldphoenix
04-13-2007, 09:28 AM
I hear you, I have a school that i train at. And trust me i or nobody else just jumps in and fights. We screen who we let in. and i dont like hot heads. or idiots.

20 plus years with no serious injuries is my track record and i plan on keeping it that way.

But thanks for the advice. safety with some brains goes along way.

Royal Dragon
04-13-2007, 11:36 AM
I keep toying with the idea of starting a highschool program just to allways have guys to do basics with, like apps, and two person drills and such.

Emeraldphoenix
04-13-2007, 01:59 PM
That might not be a bad idea....

xcakid
04-13-2007, 02:15 PM
I keep toying with the idea of starting a highschool program just to allways have guys to do basics with, like apps, and two person drills and such.

Teach at a YMCA.

SPJ
04-14-2007, 09:53 PM
I would have voted for all of the above.

:)

Emeraldphoenix
04-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Just looking at some of the numbers.. Some of you are bigger kung fu junkies than i.:D

Kung Pao
04-15-2007, 12:08 PM
What, you mean that some of you guys actually train, like in real life?

Wow, you're so cool.:) :cool:

Emeraldphoenix
04-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Well out of 400 some views. 24 people took the 2 seconds to do the poll.

So there are some people who do train. Just the COOL ones though:D

D-FENS
04-15-2007, 02:56 PM
I've pretty much narrowed down my training to Chi Kung, 5 Elements and Standing. With those three components I've got more than a full plate for the next couple of years. Sparring, drilling, etc I do all on my own time.

You know the analogy about showing a student one corner of the handkerchief, and it's up to him to find the other three? That's my freakin mantra these days.

Emeraldphoenix
04-17-2007, 09:26 AM
:eek: :D Any suggestions.

justinf4f
04-18-2007, 03:28 PM
sanda..

one day a week for one year

chaiwai
08-14-2007, 03:56 PM
sanda..

one day a week for one year

Justin,

My name is Tom. Someone asked me to find you. (If you went to dewey of coarse.) If that' you, send me a PM.

DPL
08-14-2007, 04:17 PM
1000 reps of dougnuts is fine as long as you are using internal chi eating methods.:)

Do not fear the man who has eaten 1000 doughnuts. Fear the man who has eaten the same doughnut 1000 times.