PDA

View Full Version : OT: so my domain name expired!

SPJ
04-11-2007, 07:17 PM
I have a very busy day job.

just noticed my website disappeared.

apparently I have to renew the domain name every 2 years!

talking about impermance of the internet.

today is here, tommorrow may be not.

---

:confused: :eek: :D :)

neilhytholt
04-11-2007, 07:19 PM
I have a very busy day job.

just noticed my website disappeared.

apparently I have to renew the domain name every 2 years!

talking about impermance of the internet.

today is here, tommorrow may be not.

---

:confused: :eek: :D :)

You don't have to renew it every 2 years. You pay somebody to renew it for a certain amount of time. If you want to, you can renew it for like 100 years at a time.

Do you pay your rent?

Royal Dragon
04-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Same thing happened to me. When New Orleans flooded, my site went down, and I was never able to get a hold of the host again. I eventually discovered it expired, and some domain name provider bought it and wanted to charge me some sick amount of mony to have it back.

neilhytholt
04-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Same thing happened to me. When New Orleans flooded, my site went down, and I was never able to get a hold of the host again. I eventually discovered it expired, and some domain name provider bought it and wanted to charge me some sick amount of mony to have it back.

It can be a pain if somebody else registers it for you, but if you do it yourself you should get an email reminding you to renew it when the time has passed.

But yeah, if you don't keep track of it and it's some small outfit who knows if they will do it for you or not.

Shaolinlueb
04-11-2007, 07:58 PM
i do website registration and programming for a living. if i register a site for a person i do it in their name and such. i dont do it in my name. i hate when you pay people to do it and they can basically control it. F that.

neilhytholt
04-11-2007, 08:17 PM
i do website registration and programming for a living. if i register a site for a person i do it in their name and such. i dont do it in my name. i hate when you pay people to do it and they can basically control it. F that.

Once I was at a place that ran a very loose shop. One day one of the main testing domains that all the test and dev traffic ran through not only for development but also for user acceptance testing stopped working.

They ran around the entire day trying to figure out how to renew it. Turns out one of the employees had it registered in HIS name -- it was his personal domain that he started using for testing work stuff, and then he started using it for development, then one day the testers started using it, and then the developers, and then user acceptance test.

Needless to say the co (a very large multi-billion $ firm) was a bit peeved to find out that one of their main domains they were using was in the name of an employee.

Shaolinlueb
04-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Once I was at a place that ran a very loose shop. One day one of the main testing domains that all the test and dev traffic ran through not only for development but also for user acceptance testing stopped working.

They ran around the entire day trying to figure out how to renew it. Turns out one of the employees had it registered in HIS name -- it was his personal domain that he started using for testing work stuff, and then he started using it for development, then one day the testers started using it, and then the developers, and then user acceptance test.

Needless to say the co (a very large multi-billion $ firm) was a bit peeved to find out that one of their main domains they were using was in the name of an employee.

ouch that would suck bad. thanks for the story!

neilhytholt
04-11-2007, 08:43 PM
ouch that would suck bad. thanks for the story!

They were extremely clueless. I told them they would have a ton of problems, but they of course didn't listen. Then they had a ton of problems, and the director, my bosses boss actually took my recommendations and fixed it.

Of course, that didn't save his job -- he got transferred and my boss also got transferred to the 'back alley' so to speak, doing essentially nothing. But the director came back eventually.

Then there was the time the same director was trying to explain to the architecture lead why the architecture lead had to buy a $5 million piece of hardware they didn't need because the director already had sold it to the upper management.

Or the last week of the year they were trying to blow $2 million they had left in the budget so they bought 40 servers they didn't need. (Then they didn't have any place to put them so they sat on the dock for 3 months and every day the architecture lead got a call from the dock saying, "WTF do you want us to do with these servers?" LOL)

SPJ
04-12-2007, 07:43 AM
You don't have to renew it every 2 years. You pay somebody to renew it for a certain amount of time. If you want to, you can renew it for like 100 years at a time.

Do you pay your rent?

yes. I contacted my web site host last nite and they fixed it for me.

my domain name expired on april 10. so it was missing for 2 days!.

:eek: :rolleyes:

Royal Dragon
04-12-2007, 07:45 AM
At least they didn't loose it to a domain thief, who wants $500,000 for it.

Go to www.royaldragonusa.net if you would like to find some info on the thieves that stole my domain.

Inquire how much they want for it, but make sure you are sitting down when you read the response.

Shaolinlueb
04-12-2007, 10:58 AM
They were extremely clueless. I told them they would have a ton of problems, but they of course didn't listen. Then they had a ton of problems, and the director, my bosses boss actually took my recommendations and fixed it.

Of course, that didn't save his job -- he got transferred and my boss also got transferred to the 'back alley' so to speak, doing essentially nothing. But the director came back eventually.

Then there was the time the same director was trying to explain to the architecture lead why the architecture lead had to buy a $5 million piece of hardware they didn't need because the director already had sold it to the upper management.

Or the last week of the year they were trying to blow $2 million they had left in the budget so they bought 40 servers they didn't need. (Then they didn't have any place to put them so they sat on the dock for 3 months and every day the architecture lead got a call from the dock saying, "WTF do you want us to do with these servers?" LOL)

wow. you shoudl ahve gave them your swiss bank account number and said put the 2 million here. did it cost them money since it was sitting at the docks for so long? they keep it for free what 5 days? then charge after that?

neilhytholt
04-12-2007, 11:23 AM
wow. you shoudl ahve gave them your swiss bank account number and said put the 2 million here. did it cost them money since it was sitting at the docks for so long? they keep it for free what 5 days? then charge after that?

It's the company docks. They had this big warehouse they rented for all the stuff coming in. I went over there once and they had hundreds and hundreds of computer boxes.

What happened is they finally got space, and then built out all these environments for testing and stuff. Each environment had from 2-8 servers, from 2 CPU to 8 CPU, and network attached storage. At one point they had over 30 separate environments.

Then, there was a takeover and they shut down the entire project due to politics. They split the apps part to one company, and the services part to an internal project due to politics. The hosting part was a 25 million project and the internal part was 50 million.

We tried to tell them what they were planning wouldn't work but due to the internal politics they went ahead anyways.

Then it didn't work. 2 years later and over $200 million down the line, they are mired in a total mess over the thing. These cos waste a ton of $.