PDA

View Full Version : Qixing Tanglang - Malaysia

Qixing Tanglang
04-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Seven Star Mantis out of Penang, Malaysia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAjb266Ocfk

From what I have heard Malaysia has some of the best preserved traditional kung fu including Mantis.

Cheers,
Nate

mantid1
04-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Its nice to see the two person bung bo.

Looks like they train hard.

oasis
04-12-2007, 10:33 AM
great to see your school khoo!

holymantis
04-12-2007, 11:22 AM
you and the Lads look good Khoo,
I Want a roof top just like that , it looks so good on there.

regards roy

yu shan
04-12-2007, 01:55 PM
I agree Mantid, it`s not everyday you get to see schools showing their Ling-Bengbu. Few things the same as ours, but a lot differant, nice to see though.

MantisCool
04-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks everybody!

It was taken 2 weeks ago when Eric Ling from Choy Lee Fatt, Singapore came to visit us to promote his "Martial Arts Gathering 2007" to be held in September this year.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44675

The 2-person Beng bu was just learnt by the 2 guys, so not that smooth going yet.

There is the 2-person White Ape out of the Cave by myself and sidai. Though have learnt some times ago but still need to polish up. The turning around (ling side) looks funny! Too many turnings. I have tried to turn faster but doesnt looks perfect. I think its supposed to be against more 2 opponents and acting for 2 is tough!

My footsteps doesnt look stable and seems wobbling. Maybe, it is because I am doing the ling side more on reflex action rather than on memory and these made my footwork not fixed to the ground but by distancing the incoming attacks.

Regards
khoo

mantid1
04-13-2007, 06:07 AM
Khoo

I am curious as to how many students train in your club? Are they dedicated?

The reason I ask is because I have noticed a lack of interest in arts in the US in the past few years or so. It seems people here love to WATCH the mixed martial arts stuff but not as many people train in it.

I have noticed the ones that do train at my school are not very dedicated and dont care if they are good or not. Its a big difference from five years ago when my students wanted to train hard and be the best they could be.

How are the students in your country?

Thanks again for the nice clips

Eric Ling
04-13-2007, 06:12 AM
Hi Khoo,

Didn’t know you’re active here.

Anyway, I am not from Choy Li Fut. I am a White Crane (Fuzhou) man.

Thanks for allowing me to shoot you guys and please send my regards to Master Wong.

I will be back in Penang this 24th again and I hope to revisit, to buy Master Wong and you guys dinner. Hope to see you this September in Kuching.

Thank you very much.

Eric

yu shan
04-13-2007, 06:43 AM
Going thru the same here Mantid. This particular group is pretty lackadaisical. I do still have a few heavy hitters thank God! But I have to constantly ride their a$$. I have turned over a new leaf this year. I will not settle for this lacking spirit.

Khoo, I hope to share with you our ling beng bu soon. I have some students helping me with this technical stuff.

MantisCool
04-13-2007, 09:43 PM
Hi! Mantids
Nowadays, too many distractions for the youngsters to take up kungfu or stays long. Some are because of working constraint, they have to travel or got transferred since working is now going global. Not like before where we stay and work permanently at one place.

A few MMA guys came to understand more about our mantis system.

We have 2 guys doing 40+ years, 2 guys 30+ years, 3 guys 10+, the rest new to 2 plus. Average of around 10 came to train at any 1 time.

Hi! Eric

I see. I got it mixed. Will pass your regards to my sifu. You are most welcome. My sifu might have a White Crane material for you.

Hi! Yu shan
Thanks for your willingnesss to share your materials.

Thanks again to everybody for your interests shown.

Regards
khoo

mantid1
04-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the info!

Seems like it is the same story world wide.

Keep training!

Rising Sun
04-14-2007, 09:31 PM
We have 2 guys doing 40+ years, 2 guys 30+ years, 3 guys 10+, the rest new to 2 plus. Average of around 10 came to train at any 1 time.

wow.
**** good :)

won't see that devotion in many places unfortunately.

vng_tran
04-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Hi Khoo.

Your praying mantis class is great. I learnt a bit of mantis from my friend while living in Western Australia. He learnt from a kung fu brother of Lee Kam Wing. It is so good to see other lineages from Lo Guang Yu.

I would love to know more about your lineage and your master. Also where is your lineage spread too around the world or just in Penang? I am now living in Melbourne, are there any kung fu brothers or students of your master in Melbourne ?? If not can you direct me to any mantis people in Australia besides Western Australia.

I am just a beginner. I only learnt sup bad sou but I like what I say of mantis. I did Wing Chun for about 4 years also.

Regards,
Vuong

MantisCool
04-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Hi! Voung

Thanks for your interest in Mantis. There are many schools in Australia doing mantis. Just take the time to browse throught the web. One of them is Sifu Brendan Tunks. He has a few branches throughout Australia.

My lineage is Luo Guang Yu - Wong Kam Hoong - Wong Pak Chong. We have a sisook, Master Michael Lee, teaching in Englamd. One of his student, Sifu Roy Skinner is also teaching there. We have a student in Australia but is now on his own training.

Hope thats help.

Regards
khoo

vng_tran
04-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Thanks for advice and information on your lineage. Wow I didn't know your lineage extended to UK. And you mentioned that you have a student in Australia, which state or city does he/she live in. Has he/she learnt much of your mantis curriculum ?

I have started to look for mantis schools around. I found a Brendan Tunks one in Melbourne so I might go to it.

Just one other question. What should I look for in typical mantis class. Lots of forms training, bag work or sparring etc.

Thanks for your help,
Vuong

mantid1
04-22-2007, 05:27 PM
If you have a chance to train with Mr. Tunks or one of his students I would do it.

From the vids I have seen on the net his mantis looks FANTASTIC. After reading numerous posts and some corrospondence with him I think he has a very deep knowledge of the mantis, theories and how it all goes together for fighting.

You just have to be ready to train hard.

Good Luck!

vng_tran
04-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Hi Khoo

Thanks for advice and information on your lineage. Wow I didn't know your lineage extended to UK. And you mentioned that you have a student in Australia, which state or city does he/she live in. Has he/she learnt much of your mantis curriculum ?

I have started to look for mantis schools around. I found a Brendan Tunks one in Melbourne so I might go to it.

Just one other question. What should I look for in typical mantis class. Lots of forms training, bag work or sparring etc.

Thanks for your help,
Vuong

PS, Thanks for the advise Mantid1

MantisCool
04-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Hi! Voung

My sidai has learnt quite substantial. Though, we have emailed but I cant recall his state. You can contact him at this address

cho_c@hotmail.com

Typically, the training should covers every aspect. You train forms for the speed and stamina (when doing multiple sets), pai da gung for the hardening and strengthening of your body, sandbag for power and joints, sparring for application and stamina (in terms of rounds).

Others might disagree.

Regards
khoo

wushuboxer
04-23-2007, 04:49 AM
Hi Khoo!
Are you with Penang Tang Lang group in Hong Kong competition? Do your group have a website? Thanks

Hi! Voung

My sidai has learnt quite substantial. Though, we have emailed but I cant recall his state. You can contact him at this address

cho_c@hotmail.com

Typically, the training should covers every aspect. You train forms for the speed, pai da gung for the hardening and strengthening of your body, sandbag for power and joints, sparring for application.

Others might disagree.

Regards
khoo

MantisCool
04-23-2007, 08:55 PM
Hi! Wushu boxer

No, I am not with them. They are from the Penang Mantis Club and I am from Penang Chin Woo but we are from the same family.

Neither of them have website yet.

regards
khoo

Paul T England
04-24-2007, 04:22 AM
Great to see other 7 star mantis. Forms seem very close to what Lee Kam Wing teaches, I just did Sam Lo Yare Yue Kuen with him in Hong kong 2 weeks ago.

Paul

vng_tran
04-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Thanks for all advice and help. Will try to find a 7* class in Melbourne.

Vuong