PDA

View Full Version : Even Mma Fighters Trap!!!!!!!

faizal80
04-13-2007, 03:25 AM
I currently was watching a jeet kune do training dvd by one of dan inosanto's student and inosanto's daughter. I never thought about this before, but the guy on the dvd was saying that now in the mma world, trapping has been bashed by a lot of people and I agree with that. What he then said brought me to relize that ever mma/ufc fighters often trap. Example, when two guy are in a stand up clinch and one guy all of a sudden grabs his opponent hand or holds it down and shoots in a punch, that in fact is trapping. Even thought it might not be pretty to look at, but it is trapping. I think the more fighters realize this and work on this aspect of fighting, instead of putting it on the back burner and forgetting about it. I think we will see fighting take on a new level. So yes to all you kung fu guys out there, don't give up on your art. It comes from a long history. nough respect!

BYE THE WAY I AM NOT A PRACTITIONER OF JEET KUNE DO OR WING CHUN, BUT I HAVE TAKEN FROM THEM TO ADD TO MY OWN WAY.

yenhoi
04-14-2007, 05:01 PM
The people that are "bashing" trapping are talking about the kind of wing chun, "trap by the numbers" approach that is commonly thought of as trapping.

Anyways, MMA guys dont call it "trapping" and they dont train it the same way as the guys who do call it "trapping." So its really not the same thing.

Sure you see a MMA guy pulling off traps in the cage, but you never see a wing chun, kali, or jkd guy doing it...

:eek:

SevenStar
04-15-2007, 07:07 AM
The people that are "bashing" trapping are talking about the kind of wing chun, "trap by the numbers" approach that is commonly thought of as trapping.

Anyways, MMA guys dont call it "trapping" and they dont train it the same way as the guys who do call it "trapping." So its really not the same thing.

Sure you see a MMA guy pulling off traps in the cage, but you never see a wing chun, kali, or jkd guy doing it...

:eek:

you talking about clinch work?

yenhoi
04-15-2007, 07:10 AM
Clinch work of course. Dirty boxing. etc.

Some boxers will call it trapping, but its not really trained the same way as most wing chun systems...

Good fighting is just good fighting.

SevenStar
04-15-2007, 07:13 AM
my bad, I completely missed the original post. yeah they are essentiallythe same in principle - achieving dominant position limiting your opponent's ability to attack.

ammocase
04-16-2007, 08:57 AM
Trapping works it just wont look pretty an only the most simple ones are truely effective an reliable, just like a lot of moves in MA.

SevenStar
04-17-2007, 10:18 AM
any vids of it being used in a fight, other than from a clinch?

Ultimatewingchun
04-17-2007, 01:34 PM
From a wing chun point of view, what trapping is and how practical it is, ie.- how often can some kind of a trap be implemented...is one of THE most exaggerated and misunderstood aspects of wing chun.

Using one hand to completely TIE UP (and thereby "trap") both your opponent's - so that your other hand is now completely free to strike - I won't say it's impossible...but it's VERY DIFFICULT to do against any kind of a skilled fighter.

But in Traditional Wing Chun (TWC)...we often refer to a "pin" of an opponent's arm that is similar to the kind of trapping I just defined...

and a pin is a lot more possible...although not easy. It's the kind of move that has to develop pretty much on its own depending SOLELY on his first initial attack - and in that sense you can't "plan" it (again...if you're dealing with a good fighter).

Here's the most common example, ime, of a "pin" when in a standing situation (and btw...if you're mounted than pins and even possibly traps are easier to get - due to his lack of mobility and because he's on near-total defense).

But if you're standing and fighting on what we call in TWC the "blindside"....meaning that you have parallel (or matched) leads, ie.- he's got a left arm/left leg lead and you've got a right arm/right leg lead....that's fighting on the parallel blindside.

If he throws a straight lead at your head (not just a flicking jab - but a stiff lead)...you can counter with a bong sao (wing arm deflection block) with your right arm - WHILE QUICKLY stepping into his territory - but placing your lead right foot slightly to the outside of his leading left foot as you step in.

You also had your left hand up along with the right wing arm block and it (the left) immediately starts to slide down your own right wing arm in an attempt to grab and capture his punching elbow (which it won't do because he's probably starting to withdraw the fist by now)...but it doesn't matter...

because you've taken some valuable territory by QUICKLY moving in (and slightly to the outside) when he punched - and your left hand/arm is now taking valuable territory he'd need in order to follow with a strike with his other arm...

AND the attempt to grab his elbow can at least slow down the withdrawal of his lead arm somewhat - in time for you to convert your original wing arm block (with your right arm) into a "gum" sao (almost exactly like a stiff straight arm in football)...and you do it right on his left elbow...

thereby pushing and "pining" his left arm toward his right side (or at the very least - close enough to his right side)...so that his right arm is temporarily out of play (ie.- it has no line to come out and hit you on - hence it's similar to a trap)...and since only one of your arms was used to accomplish this - that leaves your left fist free to throw a punch at his head or face.

If he's good - he will probably try to back up in order to avoid the punch to his head - leaving him open to a kick or a knee with your rear leg - which you can then follow with more hand strikes (and limb maniplutions) as you follow him very closely. Moving in with the initial move quickly and following him closely are the two biggest keys to all of this.

And if you're really good with your initial move - he may not have enough time to move back and he'll be in danger of getting hit - wherein he may try to stop the punch with his other arm (his right)...which MIGHT be an interesting development all its own - in terms of ACTUAL trapping of both his arms by one of yours.

Either way...you've got him on the run.

And if you sense (or see) that he's going to hook punch off his lead arm as you begin the pin or the slide down move before the pin - you can turn the pining arm move (on the outside of his arm by his elbow)...to a straight thrusting block & grab (bil sao/lop sao) on the inside of his arm near his hooking punch elbow with your right hand - and you can punch with your left at his face or head.

The other thing to watch out for is he might try a spinning backfist when you first begin the left hand grab or the right hand pin....it really shouldn't matter though...as that can be easily countered also...(ie.- you put both hands up and keep coming as he spins - thereby capturing him as his back is turned).

It's a strategy that requires real good timing and needs to be worked on - but it can be a very useful series of moves in your arsenal when fighting with matched leads.

yenhoi
04-18-2007, 06:04 AM
:eek: :eek: