PDA

View Full Version : Ninja Six and DVD woes

kungpowmaster
04-14-2007, 11:29 AM
I guess this is just my little complaint rant about what I think is worst about DVDs.

I collect a lot of DVDs, and I believe the quality and everything is way better than VHS tapes.

But, DVD is not perfect, but it's main problem, for me at least, I think are mainly due to the case's disc holding designs that are mainly used.

I got in the mail today, the Tai Seng DVD set called Ninja Six. Well, I was excited, but then as I picked up the package, I could hear that tale tell sound that a disc had come loose, oh no.

Well, 2 of the discs had come loose in the shipping. One was fairly scuffed up looking, but it seems to still be playable. The other disc that was loose, would have been the worst, but it's scuffed side was not the playing side, so it looks ok.

This is really the worst aspect for me, when buying DVDs online. It don't happen most of the time, but it does enough, and I guess what get's me, is it all seems just to be a bad design flaw in the way the disc is held in place, as they can pop off, rather easy many times, and also, I have gotten a few discs with a crack near the hole, again, it appears to be from the holding thingy of the case, from popping the disc on.

The scuffed disc is Ninja in the Deadly Trap, and I watched a half hour of it so far, and it seems OK, but this happening of discs coming loose, and also cracking near the hole, is something that just needs a better disc-clasping design to fix.

I know I can't be the only one that all this has happened to.

Chosen One

jethro
04-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Never buy multi disc sets over the mail, especially stuff from Tai Seng.

Hopfully NInja Hunter and Ninja in USA are in good condition. And just a note on quality- I think NInja Hunter has the best picture quality in all of the MArtial Arts Theater line up.

Jimbo
04-14-2007, 09:06 PM
I don't know it it's part of a set, but probably my favorite Tai Seng-released Ninja-type film is Ninja Vs. Shaolin Guard (or similar title) with Lo Rei and Han Ying. It's filmed in Korea but is pretty good with good fights.

I have never bought DVDs over the net for that reason. Even when I buy DVDs at a store, I tend to 'shake' the case first, to make sure there isn't the tell-tale rattling. Before, I have had some DVDs that had bad skips in them due to scratches from the case. Another thing I hate is when a DVD is fastened too tightly to the case. There are some designs that takes about 45 minutes to unfasten the DVD, taking care not to break it.

kungpowmaster
04-15-2007, 08:37 AM
Ninja Hails!

Yes, Ninja Vs The Shaolin Guards is on the Ninja Six set. I haven't seen it yet. Last night I watched Ninja in the Deadly Trapped. That was the scuffed disc, and it played fine. It was also very good, and the commentary was good too, which I have listened to so far a 1/2 hr of. This has 3 of the 5 Venoms. I'm not all knowing in this genre, Italian films is more my area of knowing, but I'm learning always.

I also watched the VHS I got, Full Metal Ninja. That was pretty goof too. I like these IFD Ninja movies, and I have done more research, and they have a real fan base, I guess this Lai/Ho team is like Mattei and Franco. Is Filmark related to IFD? Since Ho is Chinese, I wonder why he used caucasion guys in China? Maybe to hope to appeal more to the west?

Yeah, I know the pitfalls of buying online, but like I said, the loose or scuffed disc, is really few compared to the amounts I have bought over time. I also mainly buy online, because I find such deals, like that Ninja Six, I got it brand new and sealed, for $6.99. And all my sets I have gotten super deals on online. If something is really trashed, and I paid enough to care, I will complain and try and get a return, and wonder if it's worth sending the item back. Only once has that happened when I got a BCI 10 movie set wich looked like a Goodwill reject and 2 of the discs were actually cracked, to the point of eventually popping in half, but then I paid under $7 for that also. But, most times, I have no problems, and get super deals. So, I will continue to do it.

Chosen One

jethro
04-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Hey Jimbo-

Ninja vs. Shaolin Guards is not a ninja themed film. Ninjas literally show up out of the blue at the end of the movie. They are only on screen for 10 minutes max.

The movie is nonstop fighting with one guy that puts Legalos to shame with his bow and arrow. Take a good look at that guy, I don't know his name but he was Robert Tai's top stuntman and that is saying a lot!

The final fight with Eagle Han is OK, but the opening credits scene with Eagle Han taking on all the ninjas is by far the best action scene in the movie.

And watch NInja Hunter next! Chang Shan, Jack Long, Mark Long, and Alexander Lo Rei! It's the greatest cheesy movie ever.

kungpowmaster
04-16-2007, 07:54 AM
I got in the mail today, the 4 disc set, The Ultimate Ninja Collection, Volume 1. Venom of the Ninja, 1,2,3, and Ninja The Final Duel. Is there a Volume 2? I haven't seen one. Anyway, this case was designed well, and no discs were loose.

Last night I started watching Ninja Vs. Ninja, which I read was so terrible. Well, I haven't seen it all, but the choppy editing looks way worse than a Godfrey Ho. I also saw a page that listed Ninja Vs Ninja as a Filmark International movie, but the credits on the screen say Ocean Shores?

I also watched Rage of (a) Ninja yesterday. This is an IFD Godfrey Ho movie. This one was pretty weak. The good or bad of Ho's movies seem to me, to be the good or bad of the non-caucasion source film, as I thought Full Metal Ninja was pretty good. Is Imperial Entertainment still around? From what I have read, there is a IDF and Filmark fan base, and these films needs a good dvd release in a collection type method.

Today, I'll try to watch Ninja Hunter.

Chosen One

jethro
04-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Filmark, Asso Asia...

I forget all the IFD related companies, but there are a few.

And all movies in Tai Seng's Martial Arts Theater line-up are transfers from the crappy VHS tapes that Ocean Shores distributed.

And there is no ninja movie from Godfrey Ho that should ever get a proper release. Just my opinion of course. :)

kungpowmaster
04-17-2007, 12:50 PM
I happen to like the Godfrey Ho Ninja movies, not that they are high art, but I find them enjoyable. I also like the older non-Ninja Ho movies.

I bought 3 Godfrey Ho movies today:

Dragon Ninja.
The Blazing Ninja.
Eagle Vs. Silver Fox.

The latter 2 seem to not be really Ninja, and they don't seem to be spliced with caucasion Ninjas. I guess these are Ho originals?

I also saw a movie called Revenge of the Drunken Master, but the case did not mention who made it, so I didn't get it, but as I did some net search, one thing says it's a Ho movie, while another list has the director someone else?

If it was or is a Ho movie, and had it mentioned on the cover, I'd have gotten it.

Oh....
Also, I recentlly watched what could be the worst movie of all time, and not just the worst Ninja movie. This movie was so so bad, it makes the worst Godfrey Ho movie seem like a super masterpiece. I am speaking of....

Ninja Vs. Ninja.

After seeing this, I was at a loss of words, wondering what it was I had just seen, and how it could have even been included in their Ninja Six set.

It was bad, very bad.

Still haven't gotten to watch Ninja Hunter yet, but last night, I watched Ninja Champion, and it was pretty good.

I like these Ho movies, but I've always been a "bad movie" fan, as I look at them through the eye of the film maker, and the cheese quality.

Chosen One

jethro
04-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Revenge of Drunken MAster is not a Ho film. It is Korean like most his movies he puts his name on.

And how could you watch Ninja vs. Ninja before Ninja Hunter?

kungpowmaster
04-19-2007, 07:31 AM
Yesterday I watched Ninja Hunter on the Ninja Six set. I was disappointed. Well, as a Ninja movie, it was not bad, but I think what it hurt it for me, was the heavily edited version here. At least it seemed very chopped up to me. Seems there were some nude scenes all cut out. It looked like a direct copy of a 1976 TV airing version. If Tai Seng gave us an uncut widescreen with good picture, it would change the whole thing. Other than that, it was pretty good. I like the star, Alexander Lau? Is that his name? The buff guy. Abbot White was neat too. In comparison, I don't think it was nearly as good as Ninja in the Deadly Trap. The Ninja Six set should have included Super Ninjas instead of Ninja Vs. Ninja.

I also watched Blazing Ninja, an early Godfrey Ho movie. This was pretty good too. The picture quality was lacking on the DVD I have. The cussing was also edited out. But it was fun, and the untraditional ending was good.

I also watched Ninja Dragon this morning. This was really good. My current goal is to collect all the Ninja Ho movies I can.

Chosen One

jethro
04-19-2007, 01:33 PM
What did you think of Chang Shan? He fights the white haired guy (jack Long) at the start.
And BTW-you won't find better picture quality of this movie. Like I said, this is the best pic quality in all of Tai Seng's MArtial Arts Theater line-up. What did you expect from a 6 disc set tht sells for $14.99 retail?

kungpowmaster
04-19-2007, 06:28 PM
Yeah, that guy was great, and Abbot White had a body of steel. No, before I got this set, I thought Tai Seng was like a high quality label, like Tokyo Shock. I only had 2 VHS on that label before this set, The Victim and Eagle's Claw. Picture quality I think is more about what print is available than the price of the set, as I have bought some el-cheapo sets, and they would have crisp widescreen uncut prints sometimes. I got the Ninja Six set for 6 bucks. I'm never complaining, just critiqueing. I've been watching Ninja in the USA, still got the last chapter to see, but this was really good, I think, as far as the entertainment factor. It doesn't seem to be taking place in the USA though. Even Tiger's Ninja camps don't seem to be in the USA. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to be incorrectly titled. I still got Ninja Vs Shaolin Guards, and Ninja Vs Bruce Lee to see. I'll watch on of those tomorrow.

Chosen One

jethro
04-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Don't expect for an English title of a movie to explain what is about. It happens all too rarely.

Chang Shan has one of his weakest roles of his career playing Lo Rei's brother in Ninja in the USA, but he is sill awesome!! The fight scene in the gym was my favorite scene of the movie.

And BTW- Tai Seng has turned into one of the worst DVD companies in my opinion, but their TV series releases have been pretty good lately.

kungpowmaster
04-20-2007, 05:40 AM
Ninja in the USA was really good, I thought, BUT, it loses some rating stars from the ending, which seems more like something is missing, and an end board was just thrown on the screen. That ending just seems not right, like that is not what the actual original flimed ending is. Other than the abrupt ending, it was great.

I started watching Ninja Vs. The Shaolin Guards last night, this is kinda comedic, with those monks, esp that one. Only in 2 chapters so far, will finish it later.

Chosen One

kungpowmaster
04-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Well, the other day I finished the remaining movies I had not seen, in the Tai Seng Ninja Six set, Ninja Vs The Shaolin Guards and Ninja Vs Bruce Lee.

Ninja Vs Bruce Lee was, I thought, about as coherent as Ninja Vs Ninja. I had no idea often what was even going on.

Ninja Vs The Shaolin Guards was OK. I think Alexander Lo Rei is part Vulcan. But he's very good. Kinda comical stuff in this movie, the risen dead scene was neat.

This set suffers mainly from low-grade prints that are like TV edits, where any nude scene is obviously chopped out.

For me... I think what sells this set at all is Ninja in the Deadly Trap, and Ninja Hunter, and Ninja in the USA.

The order of what's best here is:

1. Ninja in the Deadly Trap. To me, this is like a great classic Shaw film. Good characters, scenes, etc. I think the picture quality here was maybe the best too, of the set, and it doesn't seem chopped up, as it didn't seem to have any nudity anyway. The commentary is a bonus too, as I learned stuff from it.

2. Ninja in the USA. I found this one very entertaining. More so than Ninja Hunter if I was comparing them one on one. But what hurts this movie is the choppy abrupt ending. It seems like there was more but cut off.

3. Ninja Hunter. This was good to me, in that is was just so bizzaro. The heavy edits hurt it though, as the would be naked females were very attractive.

The last 3 are weak. Ninja Vs the Shaolin Guards was OK. But the other 2 should have been replaced with other Tai Seng Ninja releases, like Super Ninja, and Ninja Vs Mafia. Even though I haven't seen those, they would have fit this set better, as they even had Lo Rei.

But, it is what it is. I got mine cheap, and it looks nice on the shelf, though that clear plastic case didn't seem to hold the discs in well in mail delivery.

I am now watching Venom of the Ninja 3 disc set. I just finished Disc 1, which is also known as Ninja Death I. Actually, I think I like the Ninja Death I version a little better. This Venom Mob set, The Ultimate Ninja Collection Vol. 1, and these can also be gotten separately, has the movies divided in 2 parts approx 40 mins each. Did they retitle this? Venom of the Ninja? I heard this was a TV show, but with the nudity and profanity, I don't think so. And is naturally in widescreen? Sometimes it looks kinda double cropped to me, I haven't compared it with my Ninja Death I. I don't have the Ninja Death II and III edits. I got Ninja Death I on the set Kung Fu 20 Movie Pack, but as this movie is a 3 parter, it was dumb for them to only have part 1, other than that, this is a great set(the 20 pack).

Chosen One

jethro
04-26-2007, 02:02 PM
[

Just so you know, these movies were EXTREMELY cheap to make. They were all shot within 4-7 days. Ninja Vs. Bruce Lee is 3 different movies spliced together, so that's why it looks off. Ninja in the USA and Ninja vs. Shaolin Guards aren't cut whatsoever, and Ninja Hunter has a couple cuts, but only 12 seconds of the movie were cut out and it didn't bother me. We still get to see Jack Long pumping womens breasts to develop his Chi. The only part cut out is a below the waist shot of a woman's hairy *****.

jethro
04-26-2007, 02:13 PM
And like I said, Ninja Death 1 is good, and Ninja Death 2 and 3 are HORRIBLE! Ninja teh Final Duel is the one with the nudity and cussing. Shaolin Dolemite takes it even more to the extreme.

Neither Ninja Death or Final Duel were TV shows.

Ninja Death 1 was directed by the great Joseph Kuo, but he couldn't handle it and quit the project leaving Chiang Sheng to direct them. Chiang Sheng also directed Ninja in the USA while directing NInja death 2 and 3.

I have already thoroughly explained both the Ninja Death series and NInja: the Final Duel series in previous posts, so I really can't take the time to repeat myself.