PDA

View Full Version : tanglang double staff set

monkeyfoot
04-14-2007, 12:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJrjrJ3hMes

this is really interesting, I have seen double sticks but have never before come across a double staff set.

Can anyone offer any information about it - specific style, story/background info, other examples of dual staff sets etc (i see the site says they guys train taiji tanglang?)

kind regards

craig

mantis108
04-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Rupert Harvey is a student of Rob Moses who is a student of Kam Yuan. Both Kam Yuan and Rob Moses worked in the Hollywood movie industry for a time. I believe RM appeared in Kung Fu the legend continues TV series as well. Anyway, Kam Yuan is a CCK TCPMer as well as Mizong Luohan (?) or Northern Shaolin guy. RM went on to created something which he calls nine palm mantis. May be this staff form has something to do with that. But this staff form in question, while it's nice looking, has nothing to do with CCK TCPM.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards

Mantis108

monkeyfoot
04-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the info robert

Re.Nine Palms Preying Mantis. I'd never heard of that style, though I googled it and found an article from BB magazine about it. It was talking about the art being about your own 'personal expression' or something similar, so it could be quite possible that the double staff set is his own creation?

Have you had a chance to witness Nine Palms Mantis? If so, what is the general opinion towards it?

craig

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/document/245

masherdong
04-15-2007, 07:13 AM
Wow! That was pretty cool!

zhangxihuan
04-15-2007, 08:01 AM
9 palms/psalms whatever its called looks rather invented/contrived.. but i haven't been to a class so i'm not entirely positive what they do, but it doesnt appear to be all that "traditional" if you look at their website....
as for the double staffs, it might be related, since using 2 staffs is rather unwieldy, and I dont think he could do much damage with two in his hands like that, but it does seem cool.

SanHeChuan
04-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Pointless :rolleyes: