PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Cinema's Top 10 Classic Kung Fu Movies

The Xia
04-14-2007, 10:54 PM
http://www.kungfucinema.com/guide/top_10/classic_kung_fu.html
Thoughts?

kungpowmaster
04-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Of these, the only one's I have, and have seen, that I recall, is 5 Venoms, aka The Five Deadly Venoms, and Fist of Fury, aka The Chinese Connection.

Chosen One

Jimbo
04-15-2007, 03:23 PM
They're all great KF films, but the only 3 that I'd rate as top tens on my own list are 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Executioner from Shaolin, and possibly Heroes of the East. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

jethro
04-15-2007, 10:24 PM
I agree with the list for the most part, but it's all opinions. I still can't see how Legend of a Fighter didn't make it.

Li Kao
04-17-2007, 01:38 AM
Yeah, lists like these are arbitrary and based on opinion, and there will never be universal agreement on any 1 list. As far as lists go, it's better than most and all of the movies are classics. However, since we're all throwing in our own modifications to the list, here are mine:

I agree if you're going to pick a Venoms movie, you have to go with their namesake movie. It certainly had the most interesting plot, and the camp factor is in full effect, but as far as kung fu goes, I think some of their subsequent films were better.

Master of The Flying Guillotine is certainly a fun-filled kung fu fantasy, and like the Venoms, is a true camp classic. But I would have put some of Jimmy Wang Yu's other films above this one, perhaps Chinese Boxer or one of the One Armed movies.

Magnificent Butcher is a classic but there are a few Sammo Hung movies I like better.

Now that I'm looking over the list, it appears they went with sense of humor -- about half of the movies could be considered kung fu comedies (not that there is anything wrong with that -- just an observation)

BruceSteveRoy
04-17-2007, 09:16 AM
i like that list but there are so many great films it is always hard to say. no matter what they say as number 1 it will be a controversial call. personally i think drunken master was a great kung fu flick but the best? not by a long shot. i think what it is though is one of the easiest classic kung fu movie for non kung fu movie fans to watch. i personally love 36th chamber and 5 deadly venoms but i can see how it might not interest a person that isnt in to kung fu. i have yet to ever hear someone say they were bored with drunken master kung fu fan or not. its more watcher friendly.

with that said i would still put it in my personal top 5. i would leave number one open due to indecisivness.

yutyeesam
04-17-2007, 10:31 AM
What saddens me is that all the best work have been in the past. The MA film industry is in a very sad state today.

We need some sort of B Kung-Fu film production studio that (in addition to having awesome fight scenes) has good distribution, and churns out tons of movies...kind of like the Troma of Kung-Fu of today.

kungpowmaster
04-19-2007, 09:49 AM
I agree. The best MA movies are from the 70's and 80's. But I think this goes for movies overall in general.

The modern made MA movies suck compared to the classics of the 70's and 80's.

At least this is what I think.

Chosen One