PDA

View Full Version : How much would you pay for custom made Chinese locks?

Royal Dragon
04-15-2007, 10:53 AM
I am blue printing a design in my head for a set of Custom steel locks weighing 50 LBS, with removable plates to give a weight adjustment from 10 pounds, to 50 in 5 lbs increments.

The would look just like the traditional ones, but you can add the plates to the sides untill they weigh 50 lbs.

How much would you pay for these if I were to start making them on a small scale??

MasterKiller
04-15-2007, 01:17 PM
I would just buy some kettlebells from here:

https://www.power-systems.com/nav/closeup.aspx?c=17&g=3400&Kettlebells

neilhytholt
04-15-2007, 02:15 PM
I would just buy some kettlebells from here:

https://www.power-systems.com/nav/closeup.aspx?c=17&g=3400&Kettlebells

How much is shipping on those badboys, though?

TenTigers
04-15-2007, 02:24 PM
http://powerblock.com/

kinda a variation on these? It sounds like a good idea, locks are not cheap, and getting an entire set would cost big bux, so if you could make it cost effective-to yourself as well, I would be interested....providing it's a good design and all..

MasterKiller
04-15-2007, 04:52 PM
How much is shipping on those badboys, though?

I think I paid $15 shipping when I ordered a set of 35-lb.

neilhytholt
04-15-2007, 05:04 PM

kinda a variation on these? It sounds like a good idea, locks are not cheap, and getting an entire set would cost big bux, so if you could make it cost effective-to yourself as well, I would be interested....providing it's a good design and all..

Yeah but don't follow the powerblock design, those things are noisy and clunky.

neilhytholt
04-15-2007, 05:05 PM
I think I paid $15 shipping when I ordered a set of 35-lb.

Wow, prices have really gone down on those things the past few years.

Royal Dragon
04-15-2007, 06:06 PM
I dont think i could follow the power lock design, it uses a pin. Chinese Locks need to be swung, and go upside down and all. I am thinking of a design that uses large treaded rods, similar to a standard barbell, or dumbell to hold the plates inside of an Iron box with a handle. This way the plates would be locked in firmly, so you could swing them around and toss them back and forth and such.

The design I have in mind would literally be an entire set of locks from 10 pounds to 50 (5-10 pound increments) in two matching units.

Atomic Athletic sells ONE pair of 45 pounds for like 300.00

http://www.atomicathletic.com/store/category.aspx?categoryID=181

Look at the prices of these things, it would cost you a Grand to build a complete set from them, and you'd have to store all those locks.

I am trying to build a design, that will be the same as all of Atomics locks, but in only ONE pair.

neilhytholt
04-15-2007, 06:41 PM
It seems like a good idea. You could probably price it around the same as the Powerblocks or something.

There are a couple of things, though:

If you made them yourself by hand, don't know if it would be worth your time vs. the time it would take to put them together. Powerblocks are probably mass produced in China.

Don't know how much money people are paying for martial arts stuff right now. From people I've talked to, they've been saying the market seems to be taking a big dive right now.

RD'S Alias - 1A
04-26-2007, 04:41 PM
Anyone have any more thoughts?

Citong Shifu
04-26-2007, 08:29 PM

Yea, I would be interested as well. Let me know if this goes to production.

yu shan
04-27-2007, 07:12 AM
Great idea count me in. I am hoping to begin to dabble into stone lock training this summer. So if your product is better and cheaper, I`m there. Good luck!

Water Dragon
04-28-2007, 12:48 PM
I used to use a tricep bar. Some people argued that it wasn't the same because the weight was on the outside, not underneath.

I feel that the benefit comes from swinging weight, period, and a tricep bar only costs about $ 20.

RD'S Alias - 1A
04-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Then don't buy a pair when I get past the prototype phase.

Water Dragon
04-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Why are you so f*ucking touchy? You asked for thoughts, I gave one. Why do you have to make a snide remark?

You want my opinion on your idea? I think it's a bad one from a business perspective. Locks are one small training method used only by a very small set of CMA practitioners, which themselves represent a minute part of the entire martial arts world. You have no market for this.

If you want to make them for yourself, and maybe custom make them every now and then for others, I think that's fine. But you're not going to be able to sell enough to to make a profit. I doubt you could barely sell enough to cover the cost of equipment and supplies.

I bet you're gonna take that as an insult too.

RD'S Alias - 1A
04-28-2007, 01:27 PM
I don't need equipment, I have a shop that will let me use their's because I helped them build thier business back when it was first starting.

I can buy supplies by the foot, and make them per order, so i don't really have much of a cash out lay, especially if I cash the customer's check, use the money to go buy the steel, cut the steel, drill the holes, weld it up and ship it in 3 days.

As for you, I think you smoke too much, it's making you paraniod.

Water Dragon
04-28-2007, 01:30 PM
I quit smoking a while back.

RD'S Alias - 1A
04-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Congradulations.

Water Dragon
04-28-2007, 01:42 PM
I think you have the wrong idea. It just didn't fit into my life in Texas here, so I stopped. I don't think I deserve congrats, I may go back to it one day, I may not.

RD'S Alias - 1A
04-28-2007, 01:59 PM
That's nice, but really has nothing to do with this thread. Since you seem to have no intrest in Locks either, I don't see why you are even on this thread.