PDA

View Full Version : OT: rudeness at rainforest cafe in south coast plaza mall

SPJ
04-16-2007, 11:22 AM
SO I was with staff at dinner.

I sat there for an hour. with only one glass of water.

never asked me or came by to ask for my order.

when the rest of staff had their drinks, appetiters and then dinners.

my son and I just watched.

I was about to leave. but I had to stay to pay the bill.

my bro asked the server or waitress to order for my son.

she forgot about the milk.

only when every one else was having the courses of dinners.

one of my staff noticed and told her to take my order.

I was never this humuliated.

--

I guese I am not going back there anymore.

--

:eek:

Shaolinlueb
04-16-2007, 11:33 AM
did you kung fu chop that NHH?

SanHeChuan
04-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Why didn't you waive her down and tell her your order?

If you do nothing expect nothing to happen.

Sounds to me like a self fulling prophecy. Maybe she was racist, or just overworked either way you didn't have to sit there for an hour waiting to her to come to you. That was your choice. Thats what you wanted to prove your point, otherwise you wouldn't have let it become such a big deal.

SPJ
04-16-2007, 12:10 PM
I am not being bitter.

We have a reservation for 10 under my name.

all of staff showed up early and had ordered.

I came about around 6:00 pm.

my bro and his friend decided to join us.

so we had to change to a bigger table for 14.

apparently. we 4 looked "differently" or whatever.

My bro and his friend did waive at her to place orders for him, his friend and my son.

somehow, I was ignored.

I asked her about order for my son. She left and never came back.

--

anyhoo.

--

:confused:

PangQuan
04-16-2007, 12:15 PM
well. i see where you are comeing from SPJ

she did not do her job correctly.

I am the same way.

When i work i do my job to my best ability, i give excellent service when needed and pay attention to my clients. as i would like to be treated in kind.

i expect the same.

if i go to a resturaunt, for example, and am ignored/not seated/have to wait too long for ordering/etc..., I leave. especially if i have reservations UNDER MY NAME, of course you had guests and could not leave.

sure i could do the waitresses JOB and go get her to place an order, but thats her job now isnt it.

maybe that waitress should be in a different line of work.

not everyone does what they are good at for a living.

Shaolinlueb
04-16-2007, 12:17 PM
sounds like you deserved it for going to a place named rainforest cafe :p :p :p ;)

Samurai Jack
04-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Right. Well I used to wait tables, and the way it usually works is if you have members of your party who are showing up late, they either order for those members, or they wait until everyone is there. The rude ones were your staff. They should have ordered for you, or waited.

Since they didn't do that, your waitress probably didn't know that some of you (i.e. YOU) hadn't been helped yet. As far as asking about ordering for your son is concerned, it's often extremly difficult to tack extra orders out once the cook has been preparing thier food, and then time them to get out at the same time as your new order. That means that they start eating before you even get your drinks. The cook can set thier meals aside, until yours is ready, but then thiers is cold, and the kitchen is backed up with a bunch of plates waiting to go out... the whole restaurant suffers.

So out of 7 or 8 staff members in your party, I'd think one of them knew that they were seriously breaching protocol by ordering ahead of you. That's too bad. Something to consider next time you are going to treat them to a meal. Dosen't sound like they are very polite.

PangQuan
04-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Right. Well I used to wait tables, and the way it usually works is if you have members of your party who are showing up late, they either order for those members, or they wait until everyone is there. The rude ones were your staff. They should have ordered for you, or waited.

Since they didn't do that, your waitress probably didn't know that some of you (i.e. YOU) hadn't been helped yet. As far as asking about ordering for your son is concerned, it's often extremly difficult to tack extra orders out once the cook has been preparing thier food, and then time them to get out at the same time as your new order. That means that they start eating before you even get your drinks. The cook can set thier meals aside, until yours is ready, but then thiers is cold, and the kitchen is backed up with a bunch of plates waiting to go out... the whole restaurant suffers.

So out of 7 or 8 staff members in your party, I'd think one of them knew that they were seriously breaching protocol by ordering ahead of you. That's too bad. Something to consider next time you are going to treat them to a meal. Dosen't sound like they are very polite.

OHHH! PWNED!!! :p

j/k of course

xcakid
04-16-2007, 01:43 PM

I waited table when I was in college and for a short period while in the military. Whenever I have a large party, I always go back to check if anyone needs anything. I make a loud announcement, "did I miss anyone" or "does someone else need anything?" Another thing that is standard is, " Is this everyone in your party or will there be more coming?" On that note, YES someone in the seated party should've informed the waitress that there is someone else that have just joined and not ordered yet.

South Coast Plaza? Snooty place like Fashion Island anyways. :p I should know, X-California Kid use to live in Newport Beach. :D Hey SPJ is Tutta Mare still in Fashion Island? Or for that matter is John Dominis and Antonucci still open in Newport? Man I miss those places. The Cheesecake factory in Fashion Island was the bomb.

WinterPalm
04-16-2007, 02:23 PM
I would not have paid...at all...for anything.
Seriously, if people treat you that way, you treat them the same way...with no respect whatsoever.

neilhytholt
04-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Yeah, service sucks these days. Waiters are like Martial Arts teachers and expect to make big money for giving very little in return.

It's just part of the American public becoming too lazy and greedy.

SaintSage
04-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Seriously, if people treat you that way, you treat them the same way...with no respect whatsoever.

Why hello there, Anton LaVey...

neilhytholt
04-16-2007, 02:35 PM
BTW, SPJ, when you are new to a table it's not uncommon for the staff to forget about you ...

You should have flagged them down, instead of being so passive aggressive about it.

KC Elbows
04-16-2007, 03:08 PM
I don't get that restaurant. There's one in the mall by me, right by the entrance, so you always see people eating there, and they seem to predominantly order burgers.

Don't get me wrong, if it's a good burger, that's cool. I just think if you're going to have a burger at the rainforest cafe, you should get to see animatronic ranchers clearing out the indigenous folk and an abbatoir rise up that can provide those good burgers with little fear of interruption. That way kids can learn about supply and demand.

No Susie, don't you order a salad. Ordering salads only supports the maoists.

KC Elbows
04-16-2007, 05:14 PM
Apparently, if you order the catfish, the proceeds go to a group that is buying land in Ecuador in order to expand some sort of wetland preserve. I'm betting that land is rich in the particular grade of oil needed to make plastic trees that are resistant to the corroding effects of "magic espanaca dip"(made with 3% Kinkajou marrow*).

*http://itech.pjc.edu/sctag/kinkajou/KinkajouCornelius.jpg

SanHeChuan
04-16-2007, 05:16 PM

:rolleyes:

neilhytholt
04-16-2007, 05:18 PM
:rolleyes:

The bottom line is why did SPJ sit there when he wasn't being served, and not flag down a waiter/waitress??? ????

SPJ, why didn't you flag down a server?

SPJ
04-16-2007, 05:48 PM
she was no where in sight.

I did wave at several other people. they told me to wait for the right person to come by. apparently. they assigned tables to each server.

----

neilhytholt
04-16-2007, 06:14 PM
she was no where in sight.

I did wave at several other people. they told me to wait for the right person to come by. apparently. they assigned tables to each server.

----

Well, then maybe don't go back there anymore.

I used to work at a restaurant with very flaky servers as a busboy. Many nights I had to serve people because the waitresses were so flaky and nowhere to be found.

They liked to keep the tips anyway, though.

WinterPalm
04-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Maybe someday I will be Anton Levay and I can have my own church! Yipee!

Seriously though, if you are unsatisfied than why should you have to pay? It is like people that get awful service in a restaurant and then figure they still have to tip.

Once again, treat people how you would have others treat you...and if others do not treat you well, you will not, in turn, treat them well.

SanHeChuan
04-16-2007, 07:54 PM
Seriously though, if you are unsatisfied than why should you have to pay?

If you ate the food then you have to pay for it. That is what your paying for, not the service. If you were so unsatisfied, why eat it? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SPJ
I bet you still tipped her didn't you. :eek:

SPJ
04-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Yes. I did.

:D

SanHeChuan
04-16-2007, 09:01 PM
I knew it! :D

What a push over, wheres your kung fu root. :p

I would have ignored you too, less work more money, hell yeah! ;)

SPJ
04-16-2007, 09:05 PM
the dinner was to entertain the new staff and a leaving old staff.

if they were happy, then the mission is completed.

--

the stuff comes after a long wait somehow "tastes" better.

--

;)

monkeyfoot
04-17-2007, 05:08 AM
lol you yanks are too laid back

come to england, we know how to complain

craig