PDA

View Full Version : Injury Help

NShaolin
04-16-2007, 04:46 PM
Hi i was wondering if any one had ever injured your leg joints? Like deep inside the hip area near the bottom on my pelvis maybe but i'm not quite sure about that. Every time i kick and run it hurts. I injured it awhile ago doing kicks without stretching (stupid me :mad: ) And to make matters worse even after 5 months its still hurts. Does any one have any suggestions on what i could do to make it heal faster? Just lots of rest maybe? Can some please help thanks...

cjurakpt
04-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Hi i was wondering if any one had ever injured your leg joints? Like deep inside the hip area near the bottom on my pelvis maybe but i'm not quite sure about that. Every time i kick and run it hurts. I injured it awhile ago doing kicks without stretching (stupid me :mad: ) And to make matters worse even after 5 months its still hurts. Does any one have any suggestions on what i could do to make it heal faster? Just lots of rest maybe? Can some please help thanks...

ok, without having examined you directly, I can't say for sure what it is; however, based on your description of the mechanism of injury, location and occurrence of pain, and duration of symptoms, it sounds like one of several possible types of pelvic neuromuscular dysfunction: any number of muscles could be strained (adductors, obturators, piriformis, pelvic floor), one of the sacroiliacs and / or the pubic bone could be misaligned - there are lots of possible variations that can occur alone or together

however, in a way, it doesn't matter; what matters is that it hasn't resolved on it own; this is not atypical for these sorts of things, because it involves weight bearing / transfering surfaces that are getting used all the time (like walking and sitting), and therefore have a very hard time "fixing" themselves on their own; likewise, it's very difficult to treat these things out yourself via self-mobilization, exercise, etc.; rest will help temporarilly, but won't typically cause spontaneous remission: while it still might resolve on its own, I would be very surprised if it did

so, the thing to do is go, right away, to someone who is GOOD at manual therapy: my first pick would be an osteopath / DO or a PT trained in osteopathic manual approach; however, a good chiro, or tui na guy could be helpful as well; just make sure that they know what they are doing (e.g. - 20 treatments "just to see" what's going to happen is NOT what you want - you should feel appreciable relief in 4 to 6 treats if the person is skilled)

where are you located? I may be able to give you some suggestions on where / what to look for...

NShaolin
04-16-2007, 05:50 PM
haha the bottom half i didn't understand =P

just cause i'm not clear on your last part maybe earlier i didn't explain well enough maybe i should explain when it hurts.

i try rotating mya hips with my legs straight and when i'm turned to my left side it hurts and most kicks above my stomach makes it hurt. so thats basicly it oh yea and also wen i run it feels like the joints are rubbing together.

bodhitree
04-16-2007, 07:19 PM
gluucosamine, chondroitin, and msn in tablets. GNC calls it triflex, but any brand should do. It helps joints (the chondroitin part may not), but altogether it helps with joint pain.

NShaolin
04-16-2007, 08:11 PM
oooh ok i'll look into it thankss =D but i was wondering does any chinese ointments work like dit da jow? i'm under 20 so i think its wierd for me to have joint pains so maybe its not in my joints? or is it still common from trying to kick high without stretching

maybe something to do with the ligament? i'm not really familiar witht he human anatomy =\

cjurakpt
04-17-2007, 05:23 AM
haha the bottom half i didn't understand =P

just cause i'm not clear on your last part maybe earlier i didn't explain well enough maybe i should explain when it hurts.

i try rotating mya hips with my legs straight and when i'm turned to my left side it hurts and most kicks above my stomach makes it hurt. so thats basicly it oh yea and also wen i run it feels like the joints are rubbing together.

my point is simple - go find someone who is skilled in manual therapy to treat you as these things are difficult to resolve on your own if you are not familiar with how to do it; a chiropracter, tui na practitioner, physical therapist trained in manual, or a manually oriented osteopath will each have their own take on it, any of them can work provided the practitioner is skilled;

you might also want to go see an orthopedist to rule out serious pathology; treatment wise, they will probably gie you anti-inflammatories to take, maybe give you a prescription for PT, but won't do much beyond that

if you tell me where you are located, I can possibly give you some suggestions on who to try

cjurakpt
04-17-2007, 05:27 AM
gluucosamine, chondroitin, and msn in tablets. GNC calls it triflex, but any brand should do. It helps joints (the chondroitin part may not), but altogether it helps with joint pain.

1) there are absolutely no studies showing the efficacy of this stuff: there is no objective evidence that taking oral supplements of this type has any effect on cartelige growth

2) if it helps with pain at all, it's probably placebo effect (which is fine, no problems with that) - when you think that you are helping yourself, your stress levels decrease and the inflammation sysemically goes down (including in the joints); in my experience with patiens who have taken it, I believe this, because typically they feel better within a few days to a week - waaay to fast for any catiledge regrowth; so, if you don't mind spending a lot of $ for the same effect you'd get with Advil (minus the gastric side-effects), go for it...

3) based on what he is describing, I doubt this will have much effect (but I could be wrong)

cjurakpt
04-17-2007, 05:30 AM
oooh ok i'll look into it thankss =D but i was wondering does any chinese ointments work like dit da jow? i'm under 20 so i think its wierd for me to have joint pains so maybe its not in my joints? or is it still common from trying to kick high without stretching

maybe something to do with the ligament? i'm not really familiar witht he human anatomy =\

jow is topical, it will probably not penetrate deeply enough for what you are describing, if it's what I think it is; however, you can certainly try it - just be careful where you put it on - jow on the "nether regions" is something I was always told to avoid...

it's probably not ligamentous in origin, more likely muscle / fascial and joint misalignment - but the ONLY way to know for sure is to go get examined by a qualified medical professional

bodhitree
04-17-2007, 05:55 AM
1) there are absolutely no studies showing the efficacy of this stuff: there is no objective evidence that taking oral supplements of this type has any effect on cartelige growth

2) if it helps with pain at all, it's probably placebo effect (which is fine, no problems with that) - when you think that you are helping yourself, your stress levels decrease and the inflammation sysemically goes down (including in the joints); in my experience with patiens who have taken it, I believe this, because typically they feel better within a few days to a week - waaay to fast for any catiledge regrowth; so, if you don't mind spending a lot of $ for the same effect you'd get with Advil (minus the gastric side-effects), go for it...

3) based on what he is describing, I doubt this will have much effect (but I could be wrong)

http://arthritis.webmd.com/tc/Glucosamine-and-Chondroitin-Topic-Overview

studies indicate that glucosamine may help as much as ibuprofen in relieving symptoms of osteoarthritis, particularly in the knee, with fewer side effects.3

http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/news/ng.asp?id=63053-cargill-sourceone-glucosamine-chondroitin

http://www.rowingact.org.au/SDO/Masters/Glucosamine.html

http://www.glucosamine-arthritis.org/glucosamine-research/glucosamine-clinical-studies.html

http://www.glucosamine-arthritis.org/glucosamine/glucosamine-clinical.html

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FKA/is_5_64/ai_84865950

http://nccam.nih.gov/news/newsletter/2006_spring/glucosamine.htm

Don't get me wrong, there are studies that also say the opposite, but come on, "no studies done". Get outta here.

edit: all of that just came from googling glucosamine. I'll look through the journals we have here later.

cjurakpt
04-17-2007, 12:43 PM
I never said that there were no studies done - just that, to my knowledge, none had shown that the supplements have worked in the way that they claimed

but thanks for the links - the only problem is that they don't show the actual studies, so I will try to locate them on Medline later to see what the design and data look like; if I find something contrary to what I am aware of, I'll post the link

Becca
04-25-2007, 10:06 AM

Listen to Chris (cjurakpt). Some ointments can make it not hurt, but that won't make it heal. If it hasn't resolved on it's own after 5 months, it ain't gonna.

RD'S Alias - 1A
04-25-2007, 10:32 AM
Before you do anything, FIND OUT WHY you have pain. I had pain in the hipp joints when I injured my back...it was because the center of a spinal disk was pushing out of a vertical crack, and pressing on the nerve that runs through the hip area.

Go get an MRI, so you can SEE what is wrong before even trying to fix it!!

Black Jack II
04-25-2007, 11:48 AM
See a doctor man. Never ever try and self prescribe.

TaichiMantis
04-26-2007, 07:25 AM
Before you do anything, FIND OUT WHY you have pain. I had pain in the hipp joints when I injured my back...it was because the center of a spinal disk was pushing out of a vertical crack, and pressing on the nerve that runs through the hip area.

Go get an MRI, so you can SEE what is wrong before even trying to fix it!!

Yep, same here. Could be referred pain going out to your hip...an MRI will help. If you can get sent to manual therapist that will also help.