PDA

View Full Version : Sun Style 35, 37, 38

vvanesse59
04-17-2007, 08:35 AM
Can anyone nail down Sun style 35, 37, 38 for me? I suspect thery are all the ame but just the way each posture or form is counted? I also found a spot or two that alludes to a Sun 42.... same here too? Thanks for any help.

Three Harmonies
04-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Save yourself the headache of wasting time on Wushu (unless that is what you want) and just learn the traditional form from someone. It is under 8 minutes long total anyways, so it does not require tons of time to practice like other systems often do.
Cheers
Jake :cool:

vvanesse59
04-18-2007, 06:58 AM
Thanks for response. After I looked up "wushu" in Wikipedia, it became clear to me what your response actually meant.... Since I am just getting involved and trying to learn more, Iappreciate what your answer taught me. However, I am still curious about so many "adaptations" of the Sun short form(s) and was curious if in fact whether they were the same 35, 37, 38 42. I have since found one answer that Li Deyin had created the 35 (wushu in this case I deduce) and his daughter Faye Yip has a dvd of form. Also Jianye Jiang has a video but I wondered if that was the same one. As for learning, I wondered if starting w/35 would lead to more interest to continue to 73 or 97. Anyway that is kind of the ramblings of my thinking. Comments anyone?

Three Harmonies
04-18-2007, 07:59 AM
If your goal is to learn a flowery form with no usage continue your path. If you are actually interested in learning the art of Sun Taiji, find a teacher to show you the art properly.

B-Rad
04-18-2007, 08:08 AM
73 is the official modern wushu form: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuZP0WKzBNw

Here's the traditional form from Sun Lu Tang's daughter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pu4Wic-YJ4

It's not a bad form, it's all Sun style techniques, no more flowery than the original, but just a different sequence (to make it shorter for competition). Of course for Sun style, if you're not into forms competitions, the main form is already pretty short anyway compared with other taiji quan forms (as three harmonies said). Plus, the time limits here are different... so the "competition" form isn't that great for competition outside of China anyway :p

I'm not familiar with all these other numbers

B-Rad
04-18-2007, 08:10 AM
"Also Jianye Jiang has a video"

Avoid his stuff at all costs. He's a forms collector, and doesn't have real training in 99% of the stuff he throws on video.

Three Harmonies
04-18-2007, 10:00 AM
Ditto what B Rad said!