PDA

View Full Version : Eye opener, I suck and I'm old.

xcakid
04-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Sparred last night for the first time in 12+ yrs. Man was it bad.

Cardio was none existant. I was gassed out after 3 rounds of 1min ea. My favorite move I could not execute cause I am not flexible anymore. And I seem to be stuck in slow motion mode. Not to mention my bad knees restricts my latteral mobility.

Boy am I glad I am an orange belt again.

Anyone else have the same problem or am I the only old **** that thinks he is still all that and a bag of chips. :o

Oso
04-18-2007, 02:00 PM
welcome to the club...here's your badge

4 years ago I was competing...then the shoulder went...then I started teaching more hours...slowly it creeps up.

I've been sparring with my guys to get them ready to compete and while I can still hit harder than them and generally do ok...each week ends with something else hurting for 3-4 days...

and I can't kick a 6' tall person in the head with a round kick anymore either...

xcakid
04-18-2007, 02:19 PM
and I can't kick a 6' tall person in the head with a round kick anymore either...

I use to be able to do hook kick to the head all day long back in the day. It was a great way for me to get past their guard. Tried it last night and almost popped my hip joints out.

Wonder if its too early to take up shuffle board or bocce ball.

BoulderDawg
04-18-2007, 02:25 PM
I use to be able to do hook kick to the head all day long back in the day. It was a great way for me to get past their guard. Tried it last night and almost popped my hip joints out.

I can do it but I'm so slow my opponent can see it coming from a mile off.:D

Did you really expect that after 12 years you would just walk into the ring and resume at the point you were before?

Oso
04-18-2007, 02:33 PM
I'm glad I'm still good at darts. :)

xcakid
04-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Did you really expect that after 12 years you would just walk into the ring and resume at the point you were before?

Well my brain said I could still do it. My body just did not want to cooperate. :D I gotta get mind and body to work together. Of course, my brain told me I could still drink Jaeger and go to work the next day with no problems. My brain's been lying to me lately.

Royal Dragon
04-18-2007, 03:45 PM

Reply]
This was one of my favorites!! Then the back went out...and the gout crept in and...well....now I just do Qi Gong...:(

David Jamieson
04-18-2007, 04:02 PM
start running and pick up your bag work. breath simple when you spar, a lot of guys loose their breath because of mental tension. approach sparring the same way you approach bag work and approach bag work the same way you approach sparring until the only difference between the two is that occasionally you are getting hit when you do the sparring part. lol

keep your guard up! :p

kwaichang
04-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Just curious but how old are you guys ?? KC:)

TaichiMantis
04-18-2007, 06:06 PM
I hear ya! I'm 47....:mad:

rogue
04-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Well my brain said I could still do it.

There are two things that will always get a man into trouble, one of them is his brain.

There's an AARP member card out there waiting for me, but I'm not ready to give in. Except for a morning shot of Metamucil that is. I stopped those high kicks and hard sparring sessions two years back. Things just started hurting more with less effort. I've upped my cardio, do some moderate sparring once a week and hit the weights more. I also fight dirtier.

47, but I don't look it.

Oso
04-18-2007, 07:12 PM
39, 40 in August

rogue: are you sure about that? ;)

rogue
04-18-2007, 08:54 PM
Oh thanks a lot. A whole lot.:mad: :D You didn't hear me complaining about things when I was 39. I think my body jumped the shark at 44 or 45. And it happened fast. Now my eye sight is going into the toilet.

If you think I look old you should see some of the guys I hung around with in my 20's who are younger than me. Looks like the cast of Cocoon.

SevenStar
04-18-2007, 11:17 PM
good lord, I thought I was gettin old being 29...

Mr Punch
04-19-2007, 01:30 AM
I was gassed out after 3 rounds of 1min ea. My favorite move I could not execute cause I am not flexible anymore. Dood, that's really poor! Bagwork. So you could even be 'xkid' then?! :D

Anyone else have the same problem or am I the only old **** that thinks he is still all that and a bag of chips. :oI KNOW I'm not the bag of chips, and I'm probably not even half that.

and I can't kick a 6' tall person in the head with a round kick anymore either...That's OK: kick small children and old women.

I'm just getting my high front kicks and let's say medium high roundhouses up to scratch for the first time in about twelve years (at 35)... in fact they're probably better than then. But I rarely needed to stretch back then and nowadays, literally half of my solo workout is stretching an I've just started regular stretching in the mornings too, and well, at every idle moment at work!

Just curious but how old are you guys ?? KC:)**** off kid!

good lord, I thought I was gettin old being 29...Yeah, yeah, and then being 30... and then 31... and then 32... and then...

Oso
04-19-2007, 04:07 AM
Oh thanks a lot. A whole lot.:mad: :D You didn't hear me complaining about things when I was 39. I think my body jumped the shark at 44 or 45. And it happened fast. Now my eye sight is going into the toilet.

If you think I look old you should see some of the guys I hung around with in my 20's who are younger than me. Looks like the cast of Cocoon.

yea, but you're one of those tall skinny guys...not as much damage from gravity as us more wholesome types :p

good lord, I thought I was gettin old being 29...

you're just at the edge of the cliff my friend. 5 more years and that elevator ride will mean a whole different thing for you.

That's OK: kick small children and old women.

they move too fast.

kwaichang
04-19-2007, 04:08 AM
Show a little respect to your elders. I am 49 this August so you off your self. I just wondered cause I can do more than I could when I was 29 and am faster with most of my techniques. I think it comes down to training principles. KC

rogue
04-19-2007, 04:48 AM
yea, but you're one of those tall skinny guys...not as much damage from gravity as us more wholesome types :p .

I would have pegged you as more the full figured type.:D

So many of my friends have gotten dad bodies. It's like the Fat Fairy waved her wand and poof, you're wearing your dads pants.
While my waist only went from 30 to 33, my hairs going from full head to full moon. Not there yet but I can see the future.

kwaichang, you make a good point. I recently spent some time working out with what we'd call kids and didn't do too bad.

bodhitree
04-19-2007, 05:46 AM
I think if it's your first time sparring in 12 years, practice, and it'll come back a bit. Don't dismiss one time as an end all. You'll get it back (or adapt).

rogue
04-19-2007, 06:08 AM
Or drop to the floor and decide to take up golf.:D

SPJ
04-19-2007, 06:39 AM
1. I had a bite wound on the finger from a springer spaniel. had stitch. the hand is swollen. I am one handed for a while. if not healed properly, amputation --

injury old and new, time for work and family, -- we are limited--

2. yes. we are not as good compared with when we are younger. but compared with the same age or weight group, we may be alright.

3. even tho we may not reach 100% performance/max/ideal grade in speed and power, but even with 3 to 5% grade, we are still somewhat effective.

4. conditioning and toning, with muscle/tendon, joints, cardiopulmonary etc is a constant thing, practice or lose them.

5. doing things the right way all the time is more important than speed.

6. people said we are slow and with no power/spirits. I said ya ya agreed. we all slow down as we age.

even olympiad champ parting from peak as soon as they got their golds.

dude. it is life and what gives?

:D :)

Water Dragon
04-19-2007, 06:41 AM
I'm only 33, but what I'm learning, and nobody here has mentioned, is the importance of diet as you get older. I recently had some health problems in my guts that has forced me to change my diet. I'm not anal about what I eat, but I do eat very clean now. Basically nothing out of a wrapper or a box, and fried foods only rarely. When I do fry, I use extra virgin olive oil on anything.

Eat 5-6 times a day, small meals. It gives your body a steady flow of nutrients all day. If you train, eat a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, and enough carbs to fuel you. Get the majority of carbs from fruits and rice, it burns cleaner than pasta and breads. Try a banana 45 minutes before training. You may be surprised at the results. Also, eat a power bar or have a protein shake immediately after training. This will help speed up recovery. Also, fish oil is a necesity! I can't stress that enuff. 1 or 2 pills a day is all I need, I've found. No need to go overboard.

I've been doing this for 6 weeks now, and for the past two, I feel like I'm in my early 20's again. I have so much energy it's unreal. I'm also a big believer in weight training and I'm starting to see the value in stretching.

I lift twice a week for about 45 minutes, stretch 4-5 times a week, and do Judo 3 times a week. I'm still improving very well both physically and technically in my mid-30's. I know it wont last forever, but I'm hoping for another 15-20 years if I do things right now.

xcakid
04-19-2007, 06:53 AM
Well I'll be turning 39 in Aug. however, much like Rogue, I get mistaken for younger (late 20's to early 30's) all the time. My last GF was 27yo and she taught I was same age when she met me. (that's vanity and ego talking ;) ) Thank goodness for my Asian heritage. So I guess, I think I am 18 but my body is 60yo.

I pretty much came down to a few conclusions. One of which is on the thread title. The other, more bag work as mentioned and start running. Although I hate running but I do need some cardio work. The other realization is I need to stop relying on my feet when sparring. I need to use my hands more. This is funny cause every altercation I ever had in my life(not many but a few) I have used hands, but when I spar I seems to use about 70% legs. I also need to working on moving faster laterally again. I seem to go straight back or straight forward again. My blocking and dodging is still pretty fast though, that was suprising that that has not been diminished. Maybe something of self preservation and not wanting to get hit. I guess I need to shake out some cobwebs outta my body.

Mr Punch has a point. I need to drop the CA from XCaKid and just be XKid :D

golden arhat
04-19-2007, 07:39 AM
i'm 16

life is good

:D

Water Dragon
04-19-2007, 07:40 AM
I'm 33.

It gets a lot better, young one.

yu shan
04-19-2007, 08:40 AM
I turned the big 50 a few weeks ago. True my footwork and kicks have slowed in recent years. Thank goodness Tanglang kicks mostly to lower gate area. One thing for sure though, I have gotten a lot more intelligent with age. My technique and hand work is the best it`s ever been.

Few weeks ago the wife was opening the mail and all of a sudden there was this tremendous laughter. I said what is so funny.... she handed me the AARP mail that was sent to me. Enjoy your youth my friends...

rogue
04-19-2007, 08:53 AM
At this point I can't wait to get all those senior discounts at the restaurants! That's going to be sweeeet!

xcakid
04-19-2007, 08:55 AM
At this point I can't wait to get all those senior discounts at the restaurants! That's going to be sweeeet!

LOL, my mom has a schedule of what is free at what restaurant on what day for seniors.

kwaichang
04-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Train right eat right take supplements and have alot of S x and you will be forever young. KC

SPJ
04-19-2007, 06:14 PM
life is what you make it to be, either young or old.

:)

Oso
04-19-2007, 07:36 PM

I can't wait till I'm old enough to leer at the waitress and they think it's cute.

right now they call the cops...

SPJ
04-19-2007, 07:57 PM
just had my eyes examined the other day.

I need bifocal. or reading glasses and driving glasses.

--

and they say that the older the wine the better the taste.

ya ya.

--

;)

rogue
04-20-2007, 03:34 AM
I can't wait till I'm old enough to leer at the waitress and they think it's cute.

My friend's dad is 83 and has his picture taken with every pretty woman that he meets. I think the AARP has something worked out with strip clubs because when he goes he gets extra attention that other guys pay for.

xcakid
04-20-2007, 06:44 AM

Hmmmm......I thought that's what women want. SECURITY. Cause everytime I try to pick a woman up, the yell SECURITY!!! Bunch of golddiggers.

Rickenbacker360
04-24-2007, 09:35 AM
Howdy,

I'm 43 and began studying Mizong Luohan in Jan. of this year. I'm 6'0, and weigh 245.
I watch these teen-agers execute those leaping/spinning kicks and it's sobering.
I've added 3-5 lbs but lost two inches off my waist! My wife and I attend together and have improved our balance, strength, fitness, have met new people and will someday be better able to to defend ourselves.
As for ever being able to execute the more...swashbuckling kicks and leaps, well we're just glad to be able to participate and we feel
great.

Rickenbacker360

David Jamieson
04-24-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm 43.

Do your bag work.

ramp up to 10 x 3 minute rounds with 1 minute rest in between.

you can also intermittently do 5 minute rounds x5 w/ 1min rest for about the same cv workout.

start with 1 minute x3 rounds on the bag using continuous flow.

move up to 2 minute rounds in the following weeks.

move up to 3 minute rounds.

start increasing the rounds.

while you are working your way up move from continuous flow hitting and kicking to range finding, steadying, planting variety of combinations, elbows, etc etc etc.

after a month, you should see some improvement in your cv and your sparring.

xcakid
04-25-2007, 06:47 AM
ramp up to 10 x 3 minute rounds with 1 minute rest in between.

you can also intermittently do 5 minute rounds x5 w/ 1min rest for about the same cv workout.

start with 1 minute x3 rounds on the bag using continuous flow.

move up to 2 minute rounds in the following weeks.

move up to 3 minute rounds.

start increasing the rounds.

while you are working your way up move from continuous flow hitting and kicking to range finding, steadying, planting variety of combinations, elbows, etc etc etc.

after a month, you should see some improvement in your cv and your sparring.

Cool!!! Thanks for the tip!! I will give that a try. Any help getting back into shape is much appreciated.

Rickenbacker360
04-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Howdy,

Thanks, David! Bag work is something I've done very little of. I know enough to say that it's one serious cardio workout by itself.

Rickenbacker360