PDA

View Full Version : Experience shipping a dummy/pole?

Mustafa
04-18-2007, 02:20 PM
Hi all,

It's time to move for me (NYC to San Diego). Has anyone ever shipped a dummy? Any details anyone would like to share (i.e. most economic shipping company, method of packaging etc...etc.)?

The same info on a pole would be appreciated, too. I already have a few ideas but it does not hurt to hear from some people who have already done this.

Thanks,
Mustafa

couch
04-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Hi all,

It's time to move for me (NYC to San Diego). Has anyone ever shipped a dummy? Any details anyone would like to share (i.e. most economic shipping company, method of packaging etc...etc.)?

The same info on a pole would be appreciated, too. I already have a few ideas but it does not hurt to hear from some people who have already done this.

Thanks,
Mustafa

I've never shipped a dummy, but I've wrapped my pole. ;)

I took the ironwood and wrapped it in bubble wrap, making sure that the ends had extra to fold over and then taped the heck out of it.

I took small pieces of cardboard and wrapped and taped them around the pole as tightly as possible...and taped the heck out of it.

All the best,
Kenton Sefcik

PS The key is to tape the heck out of it!

wingchunguy2
04-18-2007, 06:56 PM
I guess you would have to ship the dummy in its little pieces and reassemble it later, have you asked your local martial arts equipment shop?
I had to take mine apart when I moved home.

for the pole you can get a pole carton if you can find one. I once purchased a few pole vaulting poles and that was how it was sent to me

Mustafa
04-19-2007, 10:41 AM
I actually had the bubblewrap/tape idea. I'm pretty sure I'll go ahead and use that on both the dummy and the pole. I just hope that FedEx or UPS don't charge a fortune as both items would probably qualify as oversized (nevermind the weight of the dummy!). And yes, I will ship the dummy in several parts. Asking th elcoal martial arts store is a good idea, too. Thanks for the input, guys.

Anyway, nobody has ever shipped a dummy or a pole here before? Not even the "masters" and "grandmasters" with yellow, green, red, silk pajamas among us (you know who you are ) and tons of "disciples"? :D How about those "masters" on youtube that "demonstrate" chi-sao on a student that drops both hands (and just stands there like a statue) so the "master" can show how many slaps he can perform on the student in under 10 seconds? You guys look like pros...no idea on shipping? Man I'm disappointed...looks like I'll just have to use my own brain...ouch! ;)

Sihing73
04-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Hi Mustafa,

Sorry I had my dummy shipped to me from Hong Kong over 20 years ago. I remember we had to pick it up at the airport but that was the last time I had any dealings with shipping a dummy.

Good luck with your move.

Vajramusti
04-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Good wishes on your move. You are the only guy I know in wing chun who can give shrimping a different meaning than the grappling folks.

Its been years ago---but I did ship a teak pole once. Wrapped up the pole in plastic bubble material. Cut up carboard boxes- tightly taped and folded the cardboard around and close to the pole. Shipped it by either Greyhound or Trailways without being a passenger on the bus. It came in the baggage compartment on the side of the bus. They didnt break it.

The rail is another possibility for the jong- but dont know whther they will handle it. Call 'em.

Good luck and wishes,

joy chaudhuri

Mustafa
04-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks Dave and Joy. :)

And thanks for the tips, Joy. The cut cardboard box is yet another good idea. As for shrimping...I think that will remain an inside joke. ;)

Take care,
Mustafa