PDA

View Full Version : KFQ vs IKF

Design Sifu
02-06-2001, 01:02 AM
Well since I'm here I thought i would post the poll!!! :D

BigDude
02-06-2001, 09:02 AM
I honestly prefer KFQ to IKF, and the reason is simple. Either the writer's are better, or it's the editors at KFQ. I've noticed from reading people's profiles that there are quite a few writers on this forum, so if whoever wrote the article does happen to read this, I appologize in advance.

In the most recent issue of IKF, there was an article about JKD, saying (I think) that it is self destructing. The only problem is, most of the article was so gramatically incorrect that it was gibberish. If these had been quotes from non-english speakers, I wuold accept it and move on, but they were not.

Also, while KFQ sometimes seems more like a vehicle to sell TC products than anything else (sorry guys, I calls 'em like I sees 'em) I don't recall having seen the outrageous ads I've noticed in IKF. In IKF, there was one add for a grappling video that would teach you to get out of any hold, from any grappler. The add even told the reader to buy the video, then go out and find the biggest, meanest, nastiest grappler you could find, and taunt him into attacking you just so you could prove to yourself how well the techniques worked. This is just dangerous, and the company should have refused to offer a dangerous product.

I'm through ranting now.

Whether the stone hits the pitcher, or the pitcher hits the stone, it's that pitcher that gets hurt

doug maverick
02-06-2001, 09:07 PM
i like kfq better because they talk about kung fu ikf only talks about grappling and if they do talk about kung fu they always mention bruce lee he was a great man but he wasent the best even he new that

cho
02-07-2001, 12:40 AM
The only MA magazines I don't like are the ones that have ten page articles that illustrate a form step by step, or have self-defense "how-to"s. IKF seems to have a lot of that. KFQ actually discusses the MAs, along with famous schools and martial artists.

humblefist
02-12-2001, 01:37 AM
IKF needs to change their magazine name, because it's a fraud to anyone who thinks that reading IKF is what KF is all about. Soon, anyone who gets "featured" in their magazine will never be taken seriously as a IKF favors certain martial artists and will now report justly. This will do nothing more than create more factions and divide CMA more that it is now.

Move over IKF, KFQ is the NEW King of Kung Fu Magazine!!!

IKF, please stop the madness!!!

Jimbo
02-15-2001, 03:46 AM
IKF was a good magazine in the '70s and '80s. But it seems recently they tend to feature a lot of non-kung fu articles and maybe one or two on Chinese systems. And in general the articles are not up to the quality of the past. I must admit I still read it, though if I don't feel a particular issue is worth getting I'll skip it.

KFQ (Wushu/kung fu) is my fave because they concentrate on Chinese systems. If a magazine is going to be about kung fu, then I want to read about kung fu, not about JKD, kali, jujutsu, karate, etc. I'm not closed-minded; I came from non-Chinese systems originally. I just get tired of the same stuff month after month about other non-Chinese systems.

I especially like the profiles/training history of certain masters or regular practitioners. I tend to only glance at or skip over a lot of the Hollywood stuff.
Jim

baji-fist
02-20-2001, 12:48 AM
I also prefer Kungfu Qigong, but I also think that Inside Kung Fu also has some good articles on Kung fu. Also lately we haven't recieved January's issue here in Alaska, except for March which just came out. I thought it was a very good issue with the exception of the Shaolin Do peeps on there. What is up with that? I dunno guys, although I do like KQ, it kinda tripped me out that Shaolin Do was featured on there.

You must eat bitter before you can taste sweet.

Brad
02-22-2001, 08:39 AM
Yeah, the Shaolin-Do thing kind of knocked it down a notch for me too. But I took a look at the SD site and I think they're getting an article in IKF too, so it all evens out. I give KQ the nod because they're the only ones that seem to cover sport wushu(at least a little).

kungfulover
02-27-2001, 07:47 AM
I used to buy insider kung fu magazine but the creditability of insider kung fu is getting worst and worst because some of article are misleading us or you can say, they never go to find out the true before publishing to the public, like pauline zink is a good example. Almost every martial artists knew that pauline zink is just a fake guy, but still, he is on the cover issue.

Kung fu magazine is a lot better, they have many good articles like this month's cover issue featuring the real monkey king. Kung fu magazine does do many research for the articles.

CrossTrainer101
03-02-2001, 04:51 PM
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'd personally much rather see KQ's Martha Burr in an evening gown and heels than IKF's Dave Carter. :D Not saying anything about Dave's personal life, of course! That's just a hypothetical!

Seriously, though, IKF features all the commercially popular arts (JKD, BJJ, MMA) that almost every other mag features. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I can get that anywhere, not just a magazine that implies it's about KF in the title. I train in JKDC, but I love reading about traditional CMA and KQ's the only real source I'm aware of on the market.

Just my two cents,
Kevin McGuire

P.S. Sorry about the sexist joke, Martha. You do a very respectful and professional job as editor. But I'd still rather see you in an evening gown and heels than Dave Carter! ;)

JJMantis
03-15-2001, 02:06 AM
I really love your magazine, I think we all agree on that. I wish you (the magazine) would not be so sensational in your headlines. Now before anyone takes offense, as I am known to say things wrong, let me explain. Both magazines do this. June 2000 carries a headline "the Secret teachings of:
Lan Shou
Lama Pai
Chin Woo... etc"
Actually, no secrets, but a few basics. I enjoyed the articles, not the headlines.

An IKF mag I have states "Learn the Tiger/Crane form of Hung Gar". They spoke of the history of the art and showed some poses, but in no way did they show the form.

However... one of the cooler things I have seen has been in KF mag, where they do a series to teach a whole form. Great idea. I just wish I hadn't missed out on the first 2 installments of the Eagle Claw 108 Chin Na 2 person form. And no, I likely won't get a back issue. OK, another story.

I had missed an issue with Master Liang and his daughter, the one with water boxing. I ordered it online. After shipping, it sot me $8 for a magazine that would have cost me $4 the first time. Again, a little let down by the water boxing article. I learned nothing new. You guys do a good job at describing a style's history, legends, or how great a master is. I would personally like to see a few more useful techniques. The form series idea is great, because you can go into detail, without claiming "three easy steps to kung fu".

Just my two cents.

GeneChing
03-15-2001, 07:39 PM
Thanks for your frank comments.
Your comment on the use of the word 'secret' is noted. Wasn't it Cheng Man Ching who said 'there are no secrets?' But secret is a real power word on magazine covers, as are numbers like '3 steps blah, blah blah', so we use it a lot on the advice of our distributors. The magazine industry is very competative in the newsstands now, especially for knitche magazines like ours, so we simply cannot afford not to use power words on our cover blurbs.

We are putting out more complete forms, despite their difficulty. Many people experience the same problem you did with the Eagle Claw series - only picking up one installment - which makes that section less valuable for them and few forms are short enough to complete in one article. However, we agree that they are important. Last year we brought you the Eagle Claw Chin Na, 24 Form Taiji and Shaolin Dragon Qigong. Next issue we bring you 8-section brocade and a mantis sparring set. More to come. Stay tuned.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KungfuMagazine.com (http://www.KungfuMagazine.com)

JJMantis
03-15-2001, 11:00 PM
Actually, just to let you know, I am the same user as JJScannell. My user name has always been JJMantis, I just updated the display name. Seems like very few people use real names here.

It is the right idea to spread out the form training. It's a good idea. Not only do you get the detail, but I can see how you would get someone to buy the next installments. But a quick question on that. Are you going to run the series over the internet and in print? I know some people don't go to the internet. Maybe a suggestion would be to run one series in print, and another online.

Thanks for listening.
JJ

GeneChing
03-19-2001, 08:05 PM
We will only run series in print because that many graphics on the internet is just too costly. It's funny, like you, I'm pretty attached to the concept of publishing entire forms, even though it is ill-advised for a magazine. It does reduce our sales. The few people who do buy the whole series do not make up for the majority who do not follow the series and consider the other installements dead space. You yourself didn't even buy the 108 eagle claw despite enjoying it (but don't worry - we're doing the video! see our next issue.) Also, those articles are really hard to layout - so many pictures it's so easy to make a mistake in layout. What a headache!

But we will persist in publishing complete forms - and I think we are the only magazine who continues to do so consistently. Why? Good question. I guess because I like them. It's also a great mental exercise to organize those. It's all about compensating for my own poor training, you know ;)

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KungfuMagazine.com (http://www.KungfuMagazine.com)

Arhats fury
05-29-2001, 06:18 PM
come on kfQ of course playboy sux.hahah

http://www.angelfire.com/d20/enlightenment/images/monk2.jpg
fear the fury!!!

Sil Lum Palm
05-29-2001, 08:54 PM
I work in a bookstore where a wide variety of magazines on the Martial Arts are sold. I read them all , but I must say that KFQ is the best of them all. I really enjoyed the Monkey Kung Fu Articles on Granmaster Chan. I hope to see more on topics like these in the future.

illusionfist
05-29-2001, 10:43 PM
IKF is a rag. Nuff said.

Peace :D

Wongsifu
06-30-2001, 02:09 AM
i know it sounds corny but in fact its true that KFmagazine blows inside kf out of the water, KF magazine always has famous and good kf guys for there interviews and forms/techniques.
IKF always has some lamo ****e like that guy who was doing drunken style self defense or that isabella tatoui who was holding a pair of baoding iron balls pretending to do chi kung, I wrote to ikf slagging her off and next 5 issues she wasnt in it thank god after that she came on again but it was more kosher....

The most unfortunate thing is however ,,.... I can buy your KF mag in the shops over here any more :(
ITs only got ikf and i havent bought anything for ages....
When they used to bring it over they would chargge like 12 dollars an issue at the newsagents and when a friend manages to send me an issue over from england its great
soooo keep up the good work and maybe in a couple of months i can distribute you mag over here in cyprus for you ;)

Ive finally done it I can train longer by getting paid to do nothing , and my parents always called me lazy :)
get paid online http://www.spedia.net/cgi-bin/tz.cgi?run=show_svc&fl=8&vid=2475225

GeneChing
07-01-2001, 08:01 PM
Magazine distribution (especially International) is really challenging. Most newsstands only want ot carry one martial arts mag and squeeze in the sports section and the pro-wrestling. Unfortunately we are at the mercy of newsstand operators - but if you go buy from them, they will certainly sell it. So many thanks for your support in Cyprus!

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

Radhnoti
07-01-2001, 08:58 PM
So...here's a silly question. Which do you guys prefer...that we ask our local newsstands to carry you, increasing your visibility, OR subscribing? I've been one step away from subscribing for a month now, and your answer will probably be the clincher. :D

-Radhnoti

lukrion
07-01-2001, 10:46 PM
Mr. Ching

I have to say that I haven't missed an issue of Kung Fu Qigong since I started buying it a few years ago. I seen it go through several changes but I loved it when it took on its new shape around the Milleniem.

I was disappointed when it dropped back to every other month. I wasn't sure if it would last so I let my subscription run out and just buy them off of the newstand now. It also made some more changes, like Gods Kitchen vs. Buddha's Kitchen. I know its just a title but it was like changing horses in the middle of the stream. Some other nice features seemed to get overlooked It also seems as of late that there is a merchadise tag on every article, which makes me feel as if I am buying a catalog.

Although I'm not looking for secrets, I would like a little technique in more articles rather than just a history of the art.

As far as forms, aren't there smaller forms that could be used or even combos in every issue? Even techniques such as Iron Palm etc. I don't think these will make us experts but give us a taste into others arts.

It seem as Inside Kung Fu deals more with grappling and Hollywood, which just doesn't turn me on. I hope you stay away from this route! Its only if Dr. Yang has a column, that I pick it up.

Anyway please keep the standard high,

Gary

GeneChing
07-02-2001, 07:06 PM
radhnoti: Actually, it doesn't matter, newsstand or subscirption. But if you buy 12-issue subscription, you'll get a free shirt.

gary (lukrion): 2000 was an experimental year and there were some failures. Buddha's kitchen was changed because it drew complaints for our non-veg recipes (personally, I was in full agreement that that title was inappropriate from the beginning, but my vote was outnumbered.) The decision to go back to bi-monthly was driven by where we are right now - the Net. We really wanted to get into web publishing, but didn't not have the bandwidth to do so and remain monthly. So in a sense, you are enjoying us even more by participating on this forum. As for the product tags, I think you will find that we still have the least obtrusive advertising of any of the magazines, but frankly without ads we'd go bankrupt in one issue. And for forms, we have been endevouring to publish complete forms from popular request. You are the first to say shorter forms. We are working on increasing techniques articles (but our stable of masters have to kick down more!)
Thanks for you input - we really do appreciate it. Keep it coming.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

lukrion
07-02-2001, 07:53 PM
Gene,

Thanks for you quick response! I really like what you guys are doing with spreading alot of material over several issues. I was merely thinking that if it is concern not to reveal too much of the art in publication that maybe a smaller form here and there would be a compromise to get an overview of some of the magic of varied styles without divulging to much.

I like the E-zine also. I only wish there was some kind of way that we could download and save the files in Adobe Acrobat for instance. I save every issue because of the the valuable referance material contained. It would be a bonus to be able to archive the on-line articles as well.

Well in the nutshell I believe that what you guys are publishing is the real deal, so keep up the good work.

Gary