PDA

View Full Version : fatal wound?

PangQuan
04-19-2007, 06:04 PM
im just curious if i can get an easy answer from a one of you fine people here.

if one is to take a puncture/piercing wound to the spleen, is this a fatal wound?

how long could one expect to have to reach medical attention (if any) before death is un avoidable.

thanks

Royal Dragon
04-19-2007, 06:20 PM
I sugjest you just call your training partner an ambulance now....

PangQuan
04-19-2007, 07:08 PM
lol

well dont worry i havent stabbed anyone or anything.

god forbid i come to KFM forum first! :eek:

AndrewS
04-19-2007, 09:49 PM
The spleen is highly vascular and will bleed a great deal. You can't really say how quickly or whether someone will bleed out from injury to the spleen (depends on the extent and mechanism of injury), though I'm sure there's some questionable data in the trauma literature. Splenic injury during blunt trauma, particularly from MVA, often requires splenectomy to control bleeding as the spleen is friable and difficult to repair.

Andrew

P.S. The spleen is somewhere between a large lymph node and bone marrow. It enlarges when someone has mono (EBV or CMV), and is more susceptible to rupture in this state. Every so often a high school football player gets dead because of this. . .

Black Jack II
04-20-2007, 06:20 AM
Yes, it could be. The rupture of the spleen could result in a massive hemorrhage with death being the ultimate end. The timeline can be up to forty-eight hours from what I have read on stabbing cases.

Shock due to loss of blood with weakness, nausea, severe pain, unconsciouness, coma and death. Anytime you deal with a stabbing, shock is a nasty factor to add into the question mark.

PangQuan
04-20-2007, 08:55 AM
thanks for the responses guys.

IronFist
05-03-2007, 09:09 PM
One of my ex-GFs was hit by a car when she was young and had to have her spleen removed. I'm not sure to what the extent of the damage was, but you can live just fine without one.

BoulderDawg
05-03-2007, 10:41 PM
How does it taste with onions?

Mega-Foot
05-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Scrumptious.

dougadam
05-18-2007, 07:57 AM
That is an odd question. Why would you want to know?

bodhitree
05-18-2007, 08:09 AM
human spleen is a delacacy in these parts

nospam
05-18-2007, 10:17 AM
How does it taste with onions?

Dam that's cold! :D Funny but cold :rolleyes:

nospam
:cool:

Ben Gash
05-21-2007, 05:45 AM
A) Yes, B) varies. Probably on a par with liver or kidney, not as spectacular as major artery or Vena Cava injury. It's highly vascular, so it will bleed a lot, but the vessels are small, so you haven't got the flow rate and pressure that they have. For hand to hand the spleen is a great target as it's easily torn by blunt trauma, but with an edged weapon heart and lung are better targets in that area.