PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever heard of a style called SooHwa?

xcakid
04-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Here's the website to the school: SooHwa (http://www.soohwa.com/)

Can't quite figure out the exact origin. I have checked out the school a couple of times. The master of the school is never there for me to ask questions directly and the black belts I talk to don't seem to know exactly the root of the system. From the description on the website, its blending Southern and Northern. Sounds like a made up style, which is not a bad thing. The last 2 times I was there, their drills look a lot like Shaolin Kempo's. :confused: They do teach san shou fighting which I am interested in.

I was just curious if anyone has ever heard of the style before.

MasterKiller
04-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Sounds like Earl Portnoy just made up his own system...?

cjurakpt
04-20-2007, 11:44 AM
it smacks of McKwoon...

Black Jack II
04-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Someone should walk in there dressed like Billy Jack and check this place out.....just don't forget to take off your boots before kicking a$$.

xcakid
04-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Someone should walk in there dressed like Billy Jack and check this place out.....just don't forget to take off your boots before kicking a$$.

Should I bring a boombox and play the soundtrack.

Seriously though. I think I am gonna go see their San Shou class.

Mulong
04-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Personally, I know Earl Portnoy, i.e., good guy, but I honestly don’t know what he teaches.

lkfmdc
04-20-2007, 01:51 PM
A couple of random thoughts (I don't know him and I've never seen his students, so this is based upon his web site and other circumstantial info)

1. He calls himself "Si-Tai Gung Portnoy". in this day and age, pure ignorance is no longer a real excuse. You don't call yourself Si-Tai Gung/Si Dai Gung etc...

2. The man has a strange habit (which may mean nothing at all, but strikes me as weird). Everytime we have done a San Da event he requests info MULTIPLE TIMES. Each time we send him the info, we have sent him like 10 packages for the same event because he keeps asking for them, yet he has never attended? To me, a little weird... may mean nothing

3. From the web site "Martial Arts Center of Plano's San Shou team has won local, national and international competitions."

Based upon #2, and the fact I've never seen his students compete, I am curious what national and international San shou/San Da events they have won?

xcakid
04-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Based upon #2, and the fact I've never seen his students compete, I am curious what national and international San shou/San Da events they have won?

One of the questions I wanted to ask. I did notice that someone with the same last name as he won the San Shou comp at Taiji Legacy last year. Maybe his son?

lkfmdc
04-20-2007, 02:13 PM
One of the questions I wanted to ask. I did notice that someone with the same last name as he won the San Shou comp at Taiji Legacy last year. Maybe his son?

At least as far as san shou/san da is concerned, I would not call Taiji Legacy a national or international level event. The 7 major US teams do not attend for example. I'd call it a local event, a good one maybe, but still local

MasterKiller
04-20-2007, 03:29 PM
At least as far as san shou/san da is concerned, I would not call Taiji Legacy a national or international level event. The 7 major US teams do not attend for example. I'd call it a local event, a good one maybe, but still local

I would call it regional in terms of San Da. There are fighters there from San Francisco, Kansas City, Oklahoma, etc...

But in terms of Traditional KF, it's international. There are TCMAs competing from all over....China, South Africa, Puerto Rico, England.

Too bad none of them ever fight. :(

BruceSteveRoy
04-20-2007, 07:24 PM
MK maybe you should instigate a fight between them all... mwahaha

xcakid
04-21-2007, 05:10 PM
But in terms of Traditional KF, it's international. There are TCMAs competing from all over....China, South Africa, Puerto Rico, England.

So you're saying I can kiss the title of forms grand champion goodbye at this tournament. And I've been working so hard on my Lian Huan. :p