PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Student???

Pilot
04-20-2007, 02:16 PM
What is the oldest STUDENT in your school?
I am curious about how unusual it is for older people to start mantis (and not drop out within a few weeks). I have been taking (and enjoying) 8Step for over 5 years now and I am 50. I have always taken some sort of martial arts since I was young. I know how physically demanding mantis is, and how to practice mantis one must strive to stay in shape. I also do not heal as quickly as my younger brothers. For example, if we all get some bruises during a workout, I am the only one left with some of the bruise showing after a week. I do not bruise easily like I did before mantis which is cool. I am also finding myself not being as limber any more. As I grow older, it seems I need more sleep also. With a wife, kids, and a job, it is hard to make time to work-out. Our classes sometimes go to about 10:30 PM. This means I get about 5 hours sleep on class nights. When I was young, I worked 3 jobs and averaged 4 hours sleep every night with no problems. I trudge on though because I really enjoy mantis. Am I an oddity, or are there a hidden group of us old people in mantis?
:D

B.Tunks
04-20-2007, 03:23 PM
P,

I teach a 50 year old. He goes as hard as he can, which is good enough for me.

BT

monkeyfoot
04-20-2007, 04:58 PM
i used to train with a guy who was around 50yrs old. When he first started he used to sweat buckets, but hes pretty fit now and is one of the most enjoyable people out of the whole group to train with.

Onjer
04-20-2007, 09:30 PM
I'm real close to 50 and train very hard. I personally think it's good to push your heart rate (if it's healthy).

Mantis forms are both aerombic and anaerobic. This combination, along w/ the stances maintain mucsle mass - which atrophies as we age.

BTW, I also do BJJ and MMA boxing. I do fairly well w/ those 25 yrs. younger than me. The hardest part is the mental aspect - not telling yourself you're too old.

There are videos of Master Wei doing 8-Step forms on the web - he's 78 or so... .

TaichiMantis
04-21-2007, 05:03 AM
What is the oldest STUDENT in your school?
I am curious about how unusual it is for older people to start mantis (and not drop out within a few weeks). I have been taking (and enjoying) 8Step for over 5 years now and I am 50. I have always taken some sort of martial arts since I was young. I know how physically demanding mantis is, and how to practice mantis one must strive to stay in shape. I also do not heal as quickly as my younger brothers. For example, if we all get some bruises during a workout, I am the only one left with some of the bruise showing after a week. I do not bruise easily like I did before mantis which is cool. I am also finding myself not being as limber any more. As I grow older, it seems I need more sleep also. With a wife, kids, and a job, it is hard to make time to work-out. Our classes sometimes go to about 10:30 PM. This means I get about 5 hours sleep on class nights. When I was young, I worked 3 jobs and averaged 4 hours sleep every night with no problems. I trudge on though because I really enjoy mantis. Am I an oddity, or are there a hidden group of us old people in mantis?
:D

I started CCK TCPM at 43, I'm now 47. I'm the oldest one in the class and the only one that has been with my sifu since he has started here. It's definitely tough. I've had lower lumbar problems for years from an old soccer injury. My posture and balance and core stability have improved, thus my back is actually better. However, the twisting stuff does get to me sometimes. My flexibility has become much better. Unfortunately, the pre-menopause weight gain has not gone away. No matter how much I sweat I haven't lost much weight. Doing things in this heavier version of me is litteraly a real pain and not good for my already ligament challenged knees.

But yet I still train and learn.

I can beat the other three guys in my class in sparring (high school/college age) and I have won many trophies for forms and sparring. I'm still only a beginner and have so much more to learn. I don't know if I will ever be able to pull off a decent tornado kick....but I know I can put all this body weight to good use behind some decent kicks and strikes.

Right now my sifu wants to introduce Iron Palm training....I am still debating whether or not this is the route I want to go....or focuse more on the Tai Chi side of our style;)

And yes, I'm considered a oddity in my own family and amongst my friends :D

Corwyn
04-21-2007, 06:44 AM
I started Wah Lum at 42. I think there is one other guy in the class who comes regularly who is my age +/- and there is one senior student who is my age, but everyone else is at least 10 years younger.
There is one guy who comes every odd week, but does tai chi and takes privates who is older.

Most people put me at about 5-6 years younger than I am. I think that's really great considering I've had 3 knee surgeries. But I push pretty hard.
First 2-3 months were hell. Now I can keep up with just about everyone in class.
I don'r know if that sasys alot about me or them though :)

C

Pilot
04-21-2007, 01:44 PM
TaiChiMantis,
You sound a lot like me, with the ligament challenges and all of the rest that come with age. I am older than everyone in my class also (including my sifu), but they treat me just like everyone else (i.e. no mercy). I am a little overweight and it makes everything tough. It seems my body’s metabolism has totally changed since I was young. I have cut back on the amount of food, rarely drink sodas, cut out sugar in my coffee and tea, and just try to all around eat better, but my body just does not burn calories like it used to. I try to run 2 miles before class, and then exercise. Then I am ready for class. I will not take weight loss pills. I try to keep chemicals like that out of my system. The upside is that we may soon be learning some abimoxi ( http://www.8step.com/abimoxi/ ) which will help me know what to eat/drink and when, to assist in better health.

The other post tell me that so far at least that I am not really an oddity, but it seems that several schools have a “Pilot” amid them.