PDA

View Full Version : CLF Near Redmond

Jeong
04-20-2007, 06:30 PM
All -

One of my students this summer is going to be working in Redmond WA and wanted to know if I knew of any CLF schools in the area so he could continue his training while he's out there. I looked on Google real quick but didn't see anything glaringly obvious, but I don't doubt there's something round there. Anybody know of anything? Thanks!

4 Dragons
04-21-2007, 05:41 PM
Seattle...

http://www.makskungfu.com/index.html

Good luck,
4 Dragons

Havick01
04-22-2007, 09:02 PM
All -

One of my students this summer is going to be working in Redmond WA and wanted to know if I knew of any CLF schools in the area so he could continue his training while he's out there. I looked on Google real quick but didn't see anything glaringly obvious, but I don't doubt there's something round there. Anybody know of anything? Thanks!

im one of the instructors at master maks, we are in chinatown if you would like more info email me at mcdaniel206@yahoo.com.

Havick01

Infrazael
04-28-2007, 07:33 PM
All -

Hey Jeong, Havick above is my Sihing and currently training me in CLF and Western Boxing. The focus or our school is fighting, self-defense, and practicality. We focus on focus mitts, sparring, bagwork, drills, and hands-on training. However we also train in the traditional aspects of forms and 2-man exercises such as Da Sam Sing, etc.

But the focus is and will always be fighting.

Hope your student can join us.

Peace

Jeong
04-29-2007, 06:56 AM
Yeah, I hope he can join you guys too. I have to admit he hasn't trained with us terribly long, so I won't be sending my best out there. He should be familiar with much of the basics, if not many of our drills and such. I know he's actually interning at Microsoft for the summer, so I don't know how busy he his. I gave him your website URL and a recommendation.

Pardon my ignorance here, but what is 'Da Sam Sing'? I'm not familiar with the Cantonese names for many of our drills.

CLFNole
04-29-2007, 09:15 AM
It refers to the 3-star arm conditioning exercise seen in many southern systems.

Another question to Jeong. I checked out your website and I was wondering who your sifu is becuase the demo video is of CLF from my school (Lee Koon Hung); but a bit different if you will. Was the material learned from videos or books or through Tat Mau Wong possibly?

Infrazael
04-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Yeah, I hope he can join you guys too. I have to admit he hasn't trained with us terribly long, so I won't be sending my best out there. He should be familiar with much of the basics, if not many of our drills and such. I know he's actually interning at Microsoft for the summer, so I don't know how busy he his. I gave him your website URL and a recommendation.

Pardon my ignorance here, but what is 'Da Sam Sing'? I'm not familiar with the Cantonese names for many of our drills.

We're actually not Maks Kung Fu. Mak Sifu is my Sifu but we don't train with him anymore (for a number of reasons I'm not discussing here).

However if he's intent on learning the fighting applications of CLF have him email me or my Sihing (Havick01).

My email is miluohsu@gmail.com

Have him email me and I will be more than happy to help out.

Peace

NJM
04-29-2007, 07:03 PM
All -

CLF, no. But I train under a student of Wing Lam in Redmond, who knows the Hung Gar, BSL and Tai Chi styles that Wing Lam does. His name is Robert Daniels, and if you need contact information just ask. I gurantee that training under his Hung Gar expertise would be a rewarding experience.

Lineage gif located here: http://wle.com/school/sifu-lam-lineage.gif Hung Gar lineage is on the left.

I would give you my Sifu's website but it is 404'd right now because he is in the process of altering it. Anyway, it's www.winglamseattle.com (note, it's located in Redmond, seattle is just for general location purposes, and part of the reason that the ws is bieng changed.)

Jeong
04-30-2007, 07:34 AM
Another question to Jeong. I checked out your website and I was wondering who your sifu is becuase the demo video is of CLF from my school (Lee Koon Hung); but a bit different if you will. Was the material learned from videos or books or through Tat Mau Wong possibly?

My Sifu is Santanu Rahman. He's trained extensively with Tat Mau Wong, but also with the Ng Family Martial Arts association. How different Tat Mau Wong forms are from the LKH ones, I always thought they were more or less the same?

CLFNole
04-30-2007, 08:49 AM
More or less they are the same but just watching right away I knew that you didn't learn from our school. There are a number of things that stand out but it doesn't really matter as each sifu teaches a bit different.

Havick01
04-30-2007, 06:25 PM
My Sifu is Santanu Rahman. He's trained extensively with Tat Mau Wong, but also with the Ng Family Martial Arts association. How different Tat Mau Wong forms are from the LKH ones, I always thought they were more or less the same?

I know your teacher well we talked about you the other day i look forward to meeting you. By the way tat mou wong is my teachers sidai, i know tat very well.:)

Havick

Jeong
05-01-2007, 06:24 AM
More or less they are the same but just watching right away I knew that you didn't learn from our school. There are a number of things that stand out but it doesn't really matter as each sifu teaches a bit different.

Subtext :: I can tell you didn't learn KF from my school because yours is terrible!! :: Subtext

Lol, just kidding. Yeah, I do know that we do some things differently than the straight up LKH way (largely due to the Ng Family Influence I believe, but I know that Tat Wong changed some things around as well)

Havick01 - I look forward to meeting you someday too! (Same goes for CLFNole and all you CLF playas out there)

CLFNole
05-01-2007, 07:37 AM
No its nothing like that. Everyone plays their kung fu different. I really just wanted to see if you had a sifu is all because you never know who is out there acting like they learned from sifu (LKH) when they never did. If you learned from 123 it would make sense that our stuff differs somewhat but it's all good.

It has nothing to do with good or bad but rather how certain things are done. When you have been at this long enough you will know what I mean. Each school has their own "trademarks" if you will when doing their kung fu and it's usually pretty obvious who their sifu is.

Jeong
05-01-2007, 08:42 AM
Yeah I'm with ya CLFNole, I just thought it was a little amusing that it could be taken that way.

And I have noticed a few differences between our & a little more straight LKH (a la Joe Keit & Master Li Siu Hung). Our chop choys are a little aimed a little lower, our Sei Ping Ma has the knees a little more forward. Etc....

Yeah, I learned from 123. Awesome teacher. I'd never claim to have studied with LKH, though if I ever could have you bet I'd have soaked up everything I could from that guy.

Anyways, I know you meant no offense and none taken. I hope I get to see your mad skillz someday since you've seen my not-quite-mad ones.

CLFNole
05-01-2007, 10:00 AM
As the branches get ****her from the tree there will always be differences. Within my own immediate line there can be slight differences as there are certain things that sifu, Lee Koon Hung taught that are slightly different than how Sifu Li Siu Hung might teach. Nothing major just minor stuffbut it is common.

Your website didn't give any background as to who your teacher was that is why I inquired. Since you are a little more out on the branch if you will along with the Sam Ng influence of course things won't be exactly the same.

As far as mad skills, I don't know about that, as I get older I get more mad about my own skills. :D By the way are you actually in the clip? It is hard to make out people in certain areas as the lighting gets dark at a number of spots.

Anyhow, keep up the training and remember CLF is a life long pursuit.

Eddie
05-01-2007, 10:05 AM
dont be so modest CLFNole. You should put a video or two online some time. ;)

CLFNole
05-01-2007, 10:15 AM
I did put up a clip on Youtube some time ago with the 3-section staff. I don't have a video camera. I had the wife video some stuff on her camera which is where the clip I mentioned came from but I never got around to editing the clip. I don't use video software much so I am rather "chun" in that area.

Jeong
05-01-2007, 02:35 PM
CLFNole -

Yeah I'm in the video. I'm the one in the white that does most of the work :) You're right though, the lighting is terrible.

Is that video still up on youtube? If so does anyone have the url?

Jeong
05-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Ah nevermind I found it.