PDA

View Full Version : Check this hsing-I site out, input please!!!!!

gazza99
10-23-2001, 11:30 PM
www.hsing-i.com (http://www.hsing-i.com)

Looks like a great site to me, I have been thinking of learning some Xing-I, and possibly some Liou He Ba Fa as well. Take a look at the MPEGS, I am not a Xing-I guy but it looks pretty good to me. Anyone here ever train under Mike P.?
Does anyone have any other suggestions for tapes in the above arts?
Thanks in advance,
Gary

"Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong"-Dennis Miller
www.pressurepointfighting.com (http://www.pressurepointfighting.com)

KC Elbows
10-23-2001, 11:33 PM
I've downloaded a lot of those before. I'm not an expert, though the art I practice is descended from hsing yi. It looks good to me. From what I understand, he's had a lot of success in san shou, but others might be more familiar than I.

CD Lee
10-23-2001, 11:37 PM
I go there all the time. Good stuff if you like Hsing-I. The forum there is pretty serious. Anything silly is just like, totally ignored. The forum is much slower that KFO forums.

Cool mpegs!

Braden
10-24-2001, 12:36 AM
Hey dude! ;)

Mike Patterson is great. He teaches real internal chinese arts and he teaches people to fight with them. It's his fighters who have cleaned up challengers from all styles in the ring. He also seems very nice and puts out alot of good info.

You can probably judge his clips better than I can. I don't think his bagua looks as good as his xingyi does, but then again xingyi does seem to be his primary style. I love some aspects of his approach to it though - you've got to love the palm-heel-elbow combo he reads out of 'hiding flower under leaf,' with his back mostly facing the guy rather than his front the way Erle does it. I've been playing a bit with that and trying to enter between his legs with my lead leg before going into pigeontoes so my lead thigh places pressure down and out on his thigh as the palm-elbow hits, to mix in a sort-of takedown.

Depending on how much of Erle's bagua you've done, xingyi could be a great style to get some exposure to, as there's alot of it in the bagua. Mike Patterson does the same basic bagua form as Erle and calls it 'similar to a series of xingyi angular changes set into the circle.' Erle's 'bagua guard' posture is essentially santi. My teacher has his advanced bagua students holding it with fire palm as standing qigong. And of course alot of Erle's methods work with this posture (ie. cross-stepping post) as their foundation - so getting a xingyi perspective could be very natural and helpfull.

Keep us updated. :)

gazza99
10-24-2001, 12:45 AM
Ive only done Erles Linear Bagua form, and a bit of the circular. Along with what odds and ends Chris M. has taught me.
But the linear form is very similiar to xing-I. Many of the applications Mike P. is showing on his clips I have already done in taiji, in fact some are identical. So Im sure it would be a great compliment.
Hopefully Ill scrouge up some extra cash and be able to get a vid from him some time.
But I cant decide if I should get a xing-I one or a Liou hu ba fa one? Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Gary

Nutt'nhunny
10-24-2001, 01:08 AM
looks good. great even. To tell the truth, he's the best on the web.

Sam Wiley
10-24-2001, 05:17 AM
I used to post on his board a lot in answer to Bagua and Taiji questions. Everyone on that board seems pretty knowledgable, especially Mike. I've never met him in person, but from his postings he seems sincere and a pretty good guy. Supposedly, he has trained San Shou fighters who have done really well as well. If you have any questions at all about Xingyi, Mike Patterson is definitely one of the guys you should ask.

By the way Gary, I'm still working on that article for your site. It's still going to be a while, but I'm working on it. I'll e-mail you guys about it when it's done.

gazza99
10-24-2001, 05:20 AM
Thanks for your input Sam, look forward to the arcticle.
Gary

Chris McKinley
10-24-2001, 05:59 AM
Hey Gary, Mike Patterson's stuff is fairly well regarded in the neijia community, which is kind of impressive given the likelihood of any two internal artists to agree on the color of the sky. As others stated, his guys fare pretty well in full-contact competitions against a variety of styles. The only person I've heard say nothing but negative about Mike is Drake Sansone, but with his teacher, he's not only next to impossible to impress, he's also lost a good bit of objectivity IMO.

However, if its LHBF you're interested in, I'd refer you to him as the first choice. Get him past the point where he'd only recommend his teacher, Wai Lun Choi, and get him to point you in a starting direction.