PDA

View Full Version : A call to Arms

grlyncher99
04-22-2007, 08:52 AM
I'm reading Parade Magazine on Sunday April 22( happy Earth Day) and I'm pleased to see a picture of Jet Li in the Personality Parade section inside the front cover. Joy turns to dismay as I read the nature of the article. Someone has written to Walter Scott asking "Who would you rate as the toughest martial-arts stars ever on the big screen?" Granted it's nice to see the discussion of Martial Arts in a main stream magazine, even if it is only the movie version. However Walter Scott said the top five toughest martial on screen are The Late Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal, and Jean-Claude Van Damm. Come on! These are the five toughest? Where is Jackie? How did Jean-Claude get in there? There is even a section for voting and these are the only five names listed. You can post other names in the comments section and that is precisely what I think needs to happen. It's time to educate Mr Scott about Martial Arts start.

You can add your comments at http://www.parade.com/articles/editions/2007/edition_04-22-2007/Personality_Parade

NJM
04-22-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm reading Parade Magazine on Sunday April 22( happy Earth Day) and I'm pleased to see a picture of Jet Li in the Personality Parade section inside the front cover. Joy turns to dismay as I read the nature of the article. Someone has written to Walter Scott asking "Who would you rate as the toughest martial-arts stars ever on the big screen?" Granted it's nice to see the discussion of Martial Arts in a main stream magazine, even if it is only the movie version. However Walter Scott said the top five toughest martial on screen are The Late Bruce Lee, Jet Li, Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal, and Jean-Claude Van Damm. Come on! These are the five toughest? Where is Jackie? How did Jean-Claude get in there? There is even a section for voting and these are the only five names listed. You can post other names in the comments section and that is precisely what I think needs to happen. It's time to educate Mr Scott about Martial Arts start.

You can add your comments at http://www.parade.com/articles/editions/2007/edition_04-22-2007/Personality_Parade

Who would you choose instead of the fighters on that list?

Banjos_dad
04-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Pat Morita?

jethro
04-22-2007, 03:01 PM
I totally agree grlyncher99. I think Jean Claude is in the top 5 weakest looking martial arts actors.

doug maverick
04-23-2007, 10:34 AM
1. donnie yen(best screen fighter alive right now)
2. jackie chan(****** he's jackie chan)
3. tony jaa(best stunt fighter alive)
4. sammo hung(old man could still get it craking)
5. jet li (come on you got to admit fearless was hot)

bruce is not on my list cause he's dead i only put living people. plus compared to the guys up there(even thou he could probably take them in his prime) he just wasn't as good as a screen fighter. even thou for that time he was the best on screen. so i'll give him an honorable mention.

jethro
04-23-2007, 01:34 PM
None of those guys compare to Hwang Jang Lee and Chang Shan. Or Phillip Ko, Kwan Young Moon, Whang In-sik...

Those guys looked tough.

Shaolinlueb
04-23-2007, 05:41 PM
fearless sucked my balls doug. sorry. dragon tiger gate was nice so wasnt spl. i loved donny yen before that.

jethro
04-23-2007, 09:37 PM
Fearless was freaking amazing!

Li Kao
04-24-2007, 01:55 AM
Well, back on topic -- the original question posed was who were the toughest martial arts stars -- so it's more specific than just saying who are your favorites. If we're talking *toughest* I don't see how you could deny Sonny Chiba -- to borrow a phrase from Maddox (who was talking about Gregory Peck, but still applies here) -- his default expression is a determined scowl, like he's prepared to introduce you to the business end of his shoe if you look at him wrong.

When I think Tony Jaa, I think skilled, graceful, acrobatic, electrifying -- but not so much tough. And even Bolo would have to trump Van Damme in this list ...

doug maverick
04-24-2007, 12:05 PM
1. bruce lee
2. benny the jet
3. donnie yen
4. sammo hung
5. steven seagal(**** with him and see if you don't end up in intensive care)

Shaolinlueb
04-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Fearless was freaking amazing!

no i think it sucked balls ;)

PangQuan
04-24-2007, 07:56 PM
in no particular order, dead and alive, old or young, IMO

Sonny Chiba

Donnie Yen

Sammo Hung

Bruce Lee

Jackie Chan

jethro
04-24-2007, 09:54 PM
While a lot of people may not have heard of Chang Shan, Hwang jang Lee should be a name people can recognize. He is one of the top 5 toughest looking, or just flat out toughest martial arts actors of all time. And that is fact.

I also have to put D!ck Wei in the top 5.

Shaolinlueb
04-25-2007, 08:33 AM
i have to say

jackie chen
donnie yen
jet li
bruce lee
chuck norriss

jethro
04-25-2007, 12:13 PM
I also have to put Phillip Rhee up there. He makes a guy like Stephen Seagal look like a joke when comparing the 2 in arm locking and throwing skills.

brothernumber9
04-25-2007, 01:31 PM
why would anyone put Jackie Chan on their list unless by "tough" they think of someone who can take alot of punishment. Otherwise most of those guys, I would argue may not be that tough.

jethro
04-25-2007, 07:42 PM
That is the thing though. I put Jackie up there, but he is a different type of tough guy . Jackie does take a lot of punishment in his movies. But, he always finds a way to get otu of trouble. He is like the common person and people can actually relate to him.

grlyncher99
04-26-2007, 06:09 AM
When I think tough guy, I always think of Michelle Yeoh bouncing off the train at the end of Super Cop.

TaichiMantis
04-26-2007, 07:02 AM
If you are talking tough as in enduring injuries...

Michele Yeoh
Jackie Chan
Sammo Hung

If tough as in actual fighting...it's a crapshoot

Jet Li says he doesn't fight and would't be good in a fight
I'm thinking Jackie the same
Sammo and Seagal at least have some bulk :p

And Chuck Norris is...well...CHUCK NORRIS:D

jethro
04-26-2007, 02:16 PM
When speaking of the ladies, Moon Lee goes right ot the top of the list for me. She is like 100 pounds, but she sure is scary once she starts throwing punches!

PangQuan
04-27-2007, 03:33 PM
why would anyone put Jackie Chan on their list unless by "tough" they think of someone who can take alot of punishment. Otherwise most of those guys, I would argue may not be that tough.

what is your definition of "tough" ?

we have all seen jackie take beatings that have broken him

and we have also seen him take beatings that would break regular guys, yet he walks out with simple bruises.

by websters definition of tough, jackie straight fits the bill.

have you read his biography? hes a tough cookie.

so are we talking tough as in what the word tough means, or are we saying tough and meaning something different?

jethro
04-28-2007, 12:18 AM
He didn't walk away from the finale of Yougn MAster with just bruises, but he is still one badass mother ******.

PangQuan
04-28-2007, 01:16 AM
lol. no doubt. who would?

:D :cool: